Attention Prop Guard Users. BE ALERT!

Reaction score
A word of warning for people who fly with prop guards and also use the supplied string to close the gaps between the guards.

Yesterday I went flying and when setting up in the field I noticed the string was frayed at one of the holes it was threaded through. I didn't want to risk it breaking in-flight and the possibility of the string getting caught in a propeller causing it to stop and my bird falling from the sky so I removed the wire and flew without it this time.

I kept the wire pretty taut and I always felt I heard a sound when flying that might have been caused by the string vibrating in the air stream caused by the props. Constant slight movement will eventually make some edge of the guard gnaw through the wire. Maybe a less taut wire? Not sure this will prevent it as that will also be able to move. Even tighter? Or perhaps not threaded through the holes but four individual pieces tied between the guards? Problem with that is you perhaps won't see any fraying until it breaks. But it will be shorter.

Or perhaps smooth the edges of the guard holes? Maybe best use Kevlar or similar extra strong line?

Whatever you do keep an eye on that wire. You don't want to find your crashed bird with a broken wire tangled in one of its props.

Attachments

• Frayed Prop Guard Line.jpg
    Frayed Prop Guard Line.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1,839
I never bothered to put the string on.
Quite frankly, I wasn't sure what it was even supposed to do?
I've flown with the prop guards on dozens of times without the string.

What is the string even for?

There were pretty much ZERO instructions in the box with mine.

I had to replace my string once already. You're right, the movement back and forth over time will cut and fray the string.

The string is there to prevent the copter from hitting things in between the prop guards.

It took me a few mins to figure that out as mine came with no direction either.

If you cut to the 30 second mark in my video you can see my strings vibrating from the wind. In time it cuts the strings down...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMmhgQ_SZbw[/youtube]

The sting keeps the P2 from clinging to a persons neck or arm, the string allows the Phantom to bounce off.

I'm going to use monofilament line like fishermen use. More durable and thicker.

I really don't get what the prop guards are supposed to be for. Indoor flying?

I ordered prop guards when I ordered my P2V. Flying my P2V for almost a week now, I wonder if the prop guards are even necessary. Have they been a savior for anyone who has them on?
BTW, they still have not arrived.

I ordered my prop guards but not sure if I will install. While I have trashed 2 blades in the same scenario (poor landing) it seems as if the guards contribute the dreaded falling out of the sky, or at least get blamed for it. I sure like them for driving in and around objects, would be nice to have a quick release option.

For prop guard users, if you tap something (side of a house, window etc) does it fall out of the sky (with props intact) or remain controllable if not embarrassing.

Jontmiller said:
I ordered my prop guards but not sure if I will install. While I have trashed 2 blades in the same scenario (poor landing) it seems as if the guards contribute the dreaded falling out of the sky, or at least get blamed for it. I sure like them for driving in and around objects, would be nice to have a quick release option.

For prop guard users, if you tap something (side of a house, window etc) does it fall out of the sky (with props intact) or remain controllable if not embarrassing.

A tap will generally bounce you off. If you get a branch between the guards or in the props from above or below that'll almost always crash you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've flown with and without prop guards and I've never really felt the difference. I've never fallen out of the sky either. My advice is to descend on a decline. Don't just come down to land. Decrease your altitude while traveling. Getting caught in a vortex ring is what tends to cause the fall from the sky.

I first ordered the wrong prop guards, they were a little short on radius. DJI squared me away on the correct guards. The new P2V takes a little larger guards. Yes they have saved my props a lot. I still clip a end off now and then, can't imagine flying without them. My string also came off and I never replaced it also nervous about winding around motor. I don't know if I'm missing something but why wouldn't you always use prop guards?

As an airline pilot who knows just enough about RC/quad copters to get me in trouble... I can at least appreciate the vortex ring state...if not totally understand it

Prop guards seem to make sense, my kids always seem to get too close to comfort and I like the idea of protecting the populous from spinning props, I also fly it close to the house and buildings and like it for that.

I'm sure there is some aerodynamic drawback as well as a weight penalty,

I use the prop guards and I like them. They make the target larger and I painted mine which helps with orientation at distance.

I'm going to add some monofilament line tomorrow.

Attachments

• guards.JPG
    guards.JPG
    537.6 KB · Views: 663
I've gone out flying only three times so far and already I'm glad I have the guards on. I tried to get fancy flying in my front yard and ran into a bush. No damage. Out in a local park I flew to the far end of the park and thought I was still over the grass field, but it's hard to judge distance that far away. I ended up bouncing off the roof of a tall play structure covering a slide in the playground beyond the field. When it bounced off, I overreacted and tried to pull it back to me instead of going straight up and I ran it into some tree branches. Again, no damage, and it never hit the ground. I was able to recover and ply it back to me and land it. It's all part of the learning curve, but I will be more conservative from now on. I've ordered a camera for it, but I wanted to learn to fly it without anything expensive attached to it. If I hadn't had the prop guards, I suspect the rotors would have been damaged. I do not see a need for the strings, however, and think they pose a risk for the very reasons given by the OP.

I've been going back and forth with myself on the prop-guard thing. I've had my Phantom 2 Vision now for four days. On the first day I buzzed into a bush in my back yard. It sounded and looked like a weed trimmer in the bush and I was able to get it out before it got tangled up or damaged. On day two I flew it in my front yard, and after I realized I forgot to take off the lens cap, crashed it into the ground while landing. The two rear props spun into the ground, but weren't damaged even though they actually dug up dirt. I wiped them down of any dirt and was back in the air without issue. Day three saw nothing wrong except for a slightly hard landing. If the GoProfessional case I ordered will allow for storage of the Phantom with prop-guards, I might get them. Still in the air about it for now though.

SilentAV8R said:
I'd also suggest you find a nice large open field to fly in until you get the hang of flying the P2V. Learning to fly in your neighborhood is just not a good idea.

I moved out of my back yard (day 1) where I was limited to a 75-100 ft due to tree height out to my front yard (day 2) where I've got plenty of room.

Yesterday though (day 3) I was out at a soccer (football for some of you ;) ) complex with big parking lots filming driver training where I work. I took the opportunity to see how this thing handles at speed with some sweeping turns and stuff. I was impressed! It's pretty fast and seems to handle pretty well!!!

I think that's a good idea. A strong gauge. For me, the problem is tying the right kind of know. I could probably Google that.

If the knot came loose, then that is potentially trouble.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20