Attempted Escape

Reaction score
Hello everyone. First, a little back story. I picked up my Phantom 1 from a buddy that was upgrading to the Inspire One. The only thing wrong with it was the GPS was not working at all. Long story short I replaced the GPS and flew it successfully.

Last night, I was flying in the backyard no more than 4-5 feet off the ground, just getting a feel for the new hardware. Then, without warning, it throttled to max and shot away into the sky. I stood there dumbfounded for a moment before it fully sank in what had just happened. I immediately cut off the transmitter (A bad call, I know, but it was all I could remember for initiating RTH at the time) Of course, nothing happened. Luckily, I had set my max altitude and distance earlier with the Assistant and limited it to 60 feet. (Pretty sure this is the only thing that saved me from losing my toy) It hovered nicely before starting to drift away on me. Still in a bit of a panic, i flipped the controller back on and toggled from GPS to ATTi mode. Finally I got some response out of it and started to bring it home. In my haste I sort of crash landed on the roof, slid off the shingles and some how managed to dive across the backyard and snag a landing gear leg before it hit the pavement.

Now that I've got my heart rate under control and have sworn off flying in my backyard ever again, what went wrong?? I assume it was GPS interference and have already started looking into the various shielding methods, but I'm still unsure.

Was it interference with the 5.8ghz? (I kinda lean towards no, because it behaved normally once toggled to ATTi.)
Was it a badly set Home location? (I let the drone set in the yard, in clear sight of the sky for a good 5-10 minutes. Should have been plenty of time to set home lock)

I'm extremely leery of flying this thing again until I understand what happened so I can do my best to avoid whatever it was. Any tips or advice would be most welcome.

What preflight checks did you do and what state was you battery in.

If it immediately went into RTH mode, you would not have noticed any difference by turning off the transmitter.

I have the feeling that the event might have nothing to do with gps failure/interference; as you say yourself, your bird was supposed to be saved from a fly away by you distance-limit setting that depend on propper gps-lock. Just a thought.
Btw. What were your back lights saying during the course of the events? And did you app indicated you had gps lock during the course of the events?

Great questions guys! @Hughie, I used a freshly charged battery. As far as preflights, I did the 360 dance, let it set in one spot for at least 10 minutes (for home lock I thought?) and waited for full GPS lock.

@aartsf: That's a really good point. The motors sounded wide open. I'm pretty sure had it not been for those limits it would have just vanished into the clouds. I agree GPS had to be functioning for this to occur. The status light was flashing green until I flipped off the remote. At that point it went into constant yellow blinking. After turning the remote back on, it changed from yellow, back to blinking green, then to a slower blinking yellow when I toggled to ATTI to bring it home.

I'm not sure what you mean by app. This is the Gen 1 so i don't have any wifi capabilities to see that info yet. (I've already got a mini IOSD on the shopping list with my FPV kit to solve this problem)

The patron of the light you described seem completely complained with the different situations and swith-positions. For that reason I belief, for whatever reason, your bird went in RTH-mode during which it first would go up till some 60 feet before heading to the home-point. As you switched it off and than to Att, it was not allowed to follow the full RTH procedure. The rest you now. Can you think of any reason that could have initiated a RTH ? Has it ever happend again? I guess not as I have the feeling your bird is oke.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr