ATC

Reaction score
Is it true that u have to contact ur local air traffic control to tell them u are flying?

If so how do u report yourselves?

Eltrochaphantom said:
Is it true that u have to contact ur local air traffic control to tell them u are flying?

yycftpnotfs
iywaics, iwhy.

That happens to me every time I double up on my meds.

SteveMann said:
Eltrochaphantom said:

yycftpnotfs
iywaics, iwhy.

Say what?

My understanding is no, if you aren't near an airport. If you are AT an airport, don't fly. If you are near an airport, there is a maximum ceiling. Our abide by rule is 400' max altitude everywhere. Within a few miles of an airport, I believe it is 200', but I'm not certain.

I believe that the latest Phantoms use GPS to determine if they are near an airport and if so, they will automatically reduce altitude. IF you are in GPS mode.

If any of that is incorrect, I'm sure to get a thourgh thrashing and you will then get the correct answer! :)

PhantomPhreak said:
That happens to me every time I double up on my meds.

Heck, I do it on my standard meds! I should have left that, either I typed mess instead of meds or my spell check took over!

Time for more meds. Yes, it WAS spell check! I bet I'm the only one here that takes meds 4 times a day.

I see! meds isn't a word. DUH! Look at that beautiful floating fluorescent elephant!!

Your Phantom won't let you fly within a preset distance of an airport.
Outside that distance, the allowed height follows a cone shape away from the airport.
Look in your Assistant software to see the exclusions under Category A and B and then check this map.

http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc

As you'll see, that's not all airports!! For example, here in Melbourne there's the main international airport and then a dozen other airports within 50 miles of Melbourne. Only the international airport has a programmed exclusion zone. If you want to fly near the others, you need both CASA approval and also approval from the airport management. Otherwise, you're not allowed within a 5.5km radius.

PhantomFanatic,

If you really are in the USA keep in mind that not all airports are in the Phantom directory, and the FAA rule seems to be 5 miles, no flying without contacting ATC ie, 200 feet or lower or higher, contact ATC. You'll see people here arguing otherwise but it seems highly technical, and I don't have the money to fight in court, so I'll stick that understanding.

I use an iphone app called As the Crow Flies to measure distance in miles from airports near me, works pretty well.

PhantomFanatic said:
My understanding is no, if you aren't near an airport. If you are AT an airport, don't fly. If you are near an airport, there is a maximum ceiling. Our abide by rule is 400' max altitude everywhere. Within a few miles of an airport, I believe it is 200', but I'm not certain.

I can't wait to see a federal law saying it's illegal for a little 25 gram Hubsan X4 to fly within 3 miles of an airport because of collision threat with a manned aircraft.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

jahjahwarrior said:
PhantomFanatic,

If you really are in the USA keep in mind that not all airports are in the Phantom directory, and the FAA rule seems to be 5 miles, no flying without contacting ATC ie, 200 feet or lower or higher, contact ATC. You'll see people here arguing otherwise but it seems highly technical, and I don't have the money to fight in court, so I'll stick that understanding.

I use an iphone app called As the Crow Flies to measure distance in miles from airports near me, works pretty well.

The DJI database is a nice start, but it is tragically flawed and people do not realize how incomplete it is. For instance, here in SOCAL, some of the busiest airspace in the US, the DJI list only has 3 airports in it: LAX (Class B), John Wayne (Class C), and Ontario (Class C). It does not have Bob Hope/Burbank (Class C), and March (Class C). Nor does it have any of the following tower controlled airports: Long Beach, Torrance, Van Nuys, Los Alamitos, Whiteman, El Monte, Brackett, Chino, Hawthorne, Santa Monica, Riverside.

So it has 3 out of 16 airports. SO if you are counting on the DJI "No Fly feature" to tell you what is safe, etc. I would think again.

I like an iPhone app called "RCFly Maps". It shows a map with red circles around ALL towered airports, plus the locations of many RC fields. You can also use an internet site called http://www.skyvector.com to see the airspace and airports around where you are.

Eltrochaphantom said:

No. You don't even have to report yourself to ATC if you are flying an airplane. Just stay out of the airport's airspace. You can get aviation charts overlay for google earth. There you can see all the little airport and the major airport airspaces. Stay away from them. Keep your machine at or below 400 feet unless you are out in the wilderness. Airplane must stay at or above 500 feet with a few exceptions. That gives you a 100' separation. If you see a plane, lower your machine. You are essentially flying under Visual Flight Rules (VFR). The basic rules for VFR is to keep your eyes open to avoid other aircraft. I know other pilots ,might jump me with more detail, but like I said, that is the basis of VFR. Cloud clearances etc don't really apply to this discussion. Someone mentioned 5 miles. Typically a small airport's (untowered) airspace is 5 miles in diameter and extends up to 1200'. You can look up airspaces in the FAR/AIM. The FAR, Federal Aviation Regulations are a PITA so skip to the back half of the book and look at AIM, Aeronautical Information Manual. The airspaces are defined there. Generally speaking you are flying in Class E airspace. Class E is wide open and extends from the ground to, but not including, 18,000'. The way I see it is you should be able to fly your drone to 17,999'. But then it is way out of sight. The current "FAA rule" is under 400' and in sight.

Now, if you want to have a club gathering at some airport where everyone can fly their drones, then yes, contact the FAA and get a clearance. Give it time. The FAA will give you the permission and will issue a notice to airmen notifying pilots that there is a closure or that there is some danger of flying into that particular airport during those particular hours. It's done all the time for model rocketry and radio controlled airplanes clubs.

The FAA has yet to come up with the rules, although they have been "looking at it" since 2007. The congress has asked for them, but the FAA says that there is no schedule for the rules. Once some rules are written there will be a period where the public gets to review them and comment on them. That is where drone pilots need to speak up. Keep your eyes open for the proposed rules and then reply to the FAA and contact your congressman.

It seems like the media, AOPA and others think there are millions of drones flying around crashing into people and airplanes all over the place. It's as though I will have to swat them out of my way as I walk to my truck. All these little "Unmanned Aerial Systems" are a menace to life itself.

Greetings,

Speaking as a helicopter and fixed wing pilot, I do tend to worry about people even thinking about exploring the limits of flying near an airport. Consider the following:

"(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and
(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section."

A helicopter may be legally operating at 200 feet or lower. Oddly enough, the aircraft density goes up the closer you get to an airport.

If you are considering flying near an airport, consider getting an aviation band radio and monitoring the tower frequency.

-David

The thing about contacting them is not a mandatory requirement or some thing you need to ask there permission for and is more like just giveing them a heads up just to let them know. if you are going to be flying in some area were plans may be. So they can know you might be there and to help pilots avoid a collision.

J.James said:
The thing about contacting them is not a mandatory requirement or some thing you need to ask there permission for and is more like just giveing them a heads up just to let them know. if you are going to be flying in some area were plans may be. So they can know you might be there and to help pilots avoid a collision.

Not really sure what you are trying to say, but if you are flying under the authorization of Section 336 you MUST contact either ATC or the airport owner when you plan to fly within 5 miles of any airport:

(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).

jahjahwarrior said:
PhantomFanatic,

I didn't mention anything about a directory. And, I REALLY am in the USA! I'm confused. Was this targeted to someone else, perhaps?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj