at what % to bring it back in?

Reaction score
hi all
i'm loving my new phantom 2. quick question. at what percentage should i bring it back in? i'm normally flying it within 200 yrds of me filming surfers. I've been bringing it in at about 30%. is there any harm in taking it down to about 15% before bringing it back? what's a good balance between safe and flight time?
-mG

as you fly more you'll get the hang of factoring for all the things that drain a battery... for example your distance away, and if you've been flying upwind and your return home is downwind, or vice versa. There are 2 warning levels that you can configure in the assistant software, but there is a built-in auto land setting that you probably don't want to trigger since you have a lot less control about where the Phantom comes down once it goes into auto land.

my personal take is, why risk it? I've got 3 batteries I'm fine with just coming down and swapping them and avoiding auto-anything risks. I think in the newest firmware there's even some form of auto-sensing (don't know if it's a user setting) about how far form home point it is and it can initiate it's own return to home.

plus the more charge you leave in it, the faster it's recharged later. anyway all that being said, I did knock my user configurable warning levels down 5% each since my batteries are new. As you fly and recharge your batteries many times they will of course lose capacity so I intend to increase the warning levels back once the batteries get a little age and therefore drain faster.

I always make it a rule to be back on the ground when the battery level hits 30%. There seem to be quite a few problems that tend to occur when flying at low battery levels, such as unanticipated auto lands.

Starting to bring it back when it hits 30% is too tight in my opinion.

Plan to have it on the ground by 30% is the safest best, especially since you are over water. When you get more experience, you can push it a little more on certain conditions (downwind return etc ...), but I would always have it on the ground at 25% at all situations.

Agree with above comments. Salt water for sure needs special consideration.

All it takes it the slightest battery anomaly (for whatever reason) and if it shifts to critical state it will auto-land in the water.

How much do you trust a battery?

knuckles said:
I thought RTH started at 30%?
RTH is 20% and you have to be flying in GPS. ATTI the P2 will just keep flying until the 15% auto land occurs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers