AT&T And NASA To Build National Drone Tracking System

That's great. Yet another way the government can track and control us. I really wonder how free we truly are in this country. I'm waiting for the day where all citizens will be micro chipped like pets. Why isn't there a tracking method in place for all the firearms out there that can kill people? I bet if this goes down then anytime anyone purchases a drone they'll have to pay for a tax or a fee to ATT for this service like we already do in our cell phone fees.

Yup. Reminds me of that frog relaxing in a nice warm pot of water. Slowly the temp rises. By the time the frog suspects something's wrong, he's too weak to jump out. Our founding fathers are rolling in their graves.

Yes it was only a matter of time. Like every other measure infringing on privacy, it is in the name of safety. Just as Hitler restricted the rights of German citizens to own firearms in the name of "the children", so America follows in many aspects of legislation and policy. I only hope recent changes will slow that progression.

Sent from my SM-N910V using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think it's more like an air traffic control system for drones. Not a bad thing. In the not too distant future unmanned aircraft will be used for many different things commercially. Keeping track of where things are in the sky to avoid collisions is important. Just like with manned aircraft. The FAA has its hands full right now so setting up a separate UAS air traffic control makes sense.

Yes, I believe that's part of it. However if you read the article dictating some of the rationale, hobbyist drones being "hacked" has nothing to do with ATC.

Sent from my SM-N910V using PhantomPilots mobile app

" Someone taking over a hobbyist’s DJI Phantom might not be a national crisis, but a hacker could theoretically hack an internet-connected drone to access the network of the agency that operates it, much in the same way that a vulnerable internet of things device can serve as a gateway to other computers on the same network. "

I don't see it as an attempt to infringe on anyone's rights. The point about hacking is that a network connected drone could potentially be a gateway into the network and therefore a vulnerability.
From other articles I've read on the topic NASA and the FAA are more concerned about air traffic safety. The sky's will be flooded with drones in the next few years and they need to stay ahead of it.

Reactions: Phil56
I tend to agree with Roadking. I live in Nashville, TN., I have plenty of places to safely fly my AC. I have yet to encounter a fellow hobbyist while flying in different parts of the city and rural communities. I understand this is a growing hobby and because of some very foolish acts by irresponsible people with these AC have put us in the headlines to trigger/force these agencies to act accordingly perhaps a bit quicker than expected. Even here at Nashville International there a drone spotted by a 727 while landing. Just plain dumb.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20