At last, a crash!!

El Rey said:
Regarding the split second decision to catch or not catch the Vision if you're near it when it descends - that's a tough call.

Depending on the speed of descent, and whether it was descending in its correct flight position,
I'd be inclined to grab the struts/camera area with both hands.

Realize it's a risky move if you happen to miscalculate. I do have prop guards on which
I hope would minimize that risk.

Maybe I need a Falconer's glove!

Believe me, I've replayed that moment again and again in my head and I catch it everytime :D

kingcat200 said:
The sort of people I try to avoid are egotistical types who have to call them self Captain on a toy aeroplane forum or refer to the aeroplane they are paid to fly by an employer as MY Aeroplane generally followed My First Officer and My Crew.
I have some great RC mates who could match or exceed technical expertise of many a full scale pilot. Not to mention CRM and Human Factors as mentioned by another poster.

I couldn't agree more with kingcat200.... the 'MY' Captain. My this, my that. Hmm. Well, not sure I've seen icing reports in "my" Notams before. But there again, you learn something new every day.

Thanks for the original post disjecta, very interesting..... might be worth a telemetry channel with some temperature info?

;-)

CaptainChet said:
Maybe you should read up on icing and airplanes. RC 'pilots' think their aircraft are different than the airliner I fly. They are not. They are subject to the same weather forces and icing is a killer in airplanes. Most airplanes and certainly the Phantom are not certified for flight into know icing conditions. Also, perhaps you should read the aviation weather forecast and NOTAMS about icing in the area. Why I have always stayed away from RC pilots. They are not pilots, they fly toys and think they are pilots. The Phantom will change that.

This is an excellent suggestion!

jengo said:
CaptainChet said:
Maybe you should read up on icing and airplanes. RC 'pilots' think their aircraft are different than the airliner I fly. They are not. They are subject to the same weather forces and icing is a killer in airplanes. Most airplanes and certainly the Phantom are not certified for flight into know icing conditions. Also, perhaps you should read the aviation weather forecast and NOTAMS about icing in the area. Why I have always stayed away from RC pilots. They are not pilots, they fly toys and think they are pilots. The Phantom will change that.

This is an excellent suggestion!

Sure an understanding of the Physics of your operational environment is a good suggestion.

Not so sure about Checking NOTAMS for icing !!!

Or avoiding fellow Rc Pilots of whom I have the pleasure of many friendships.

To all that got offended by my post, well I'm sorry!

Many of the airline pilots I fly with are highly dedicated to the sport of RC flying with perhaps more hours invested in the sport than their aviation careers. Most of them that I fly with spend hours of time at the RC fields helping educate RC (only) pilots that all aircraft have the same inherent problems with weather. RC craft fly in micro weather (meaning a small area, no great distances or altitudes) and can sometime be lulled into thinking only the airplanes 'up high' can experience certain weather related problems.Not true.

If you get icing on an RC then my suggestion has merit. If you are a Comm Pilot (fixed wing or roto) then you already know this...or one would assume so. So try an play nice with everyone-picking on my post does not make you a hero or better guy! Actually it makes you look worse than me, who just tried to point out that MAYBE learning some weather might help save a crash!

OI Photography said:
There's a vid on YT somewhere (can't find it now) of a guy who sent his 550 straight up in to a bank of fog on a cold day, and sure enough it came plummeting down a few minutes later...and he did catch it by hand. Which was nuts because the props were still turning, and a 550 has lot more mass and unpleasant angles and edges coming at you than a Phantom.

That I would love to see. :shock:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1