Aspect Ratio Confused!

Joel_t said:
Yes and not just the iosd mini is correct but also the GoPro's on screen display which proves the GoPro is outputting the correct 4:3 signal (16:9 squished to 4:3). The information from the GoPro OSD is not stretched or squished so that proves the correct aspect ratio can be output from the GoPro but for some reason it is letterboxing the video only. Did you get a chance to test and confirm that changing to PAL made no difference?

nothing with pal

well if you chose 1440 then it's normal but squished. so gopro only sends A:R based on what resolution is selected...

the only way to make it work is have a way where the GOPRO always transmits in 4:3 with letterbox. OR. have a LCD that is 4:3 resolution.

d4ddyo said:
Joel_t said:
Yes and not just the iosd mini is correct but also the GoPro's on screen display which proves the GoPro is outputting the correct 4:3 signal (16:9 squished to 4:3). The information from the GoPro OSD is not stretched or squished so that proves the correct aspect ratio can be output from the GoPro but for some reason it is letterboxing the video only. Did you get a chance to test and confirm that changing to PAL made no difference?

nothing with pal

well if you chose 1440 then it's normal but squished. so gopro only sends A:R based on what resolution is selected...

That sucks. Any 16:9 res on the gopro should just output that as squished 4:3. Crazy that this isnt working

Joel_t said:
d4ddyo said:
Joel_t said:

nothing with pal

That sucks. Any 16:9 res on the gopro should just output that as squished 4:3. Crazy that this isnt working

Well what it should be is that any 16:9 should be transmitted in 4:3 with letterbox. but you realize that 1080p would be tiny because it would have bars up top AND side. LOL!!!!

so the way to make it work is to have a 4:3 screen. if that was the case then everything would look normal and if you selected 16:9 resolution it would have letterbox top and bottom of screen but it won't be stretched or squashed.

Exactly, a 4:3 1080 video on a 16:9 monitor that could display 4:3 would be both pillarboxed and letterboxed.

I'm kinda understanding why this is happening. The output we are using to get our video feed is really for the GoPro LCD back which is obviously 4:3

This means that all we need to be able to do on our monitors is stretch the video vertically until we can't see the black bars anymore (This would also mean losing the GoPro on screen display) but would give us the correct image ratio.

Such a bummer. For such an annoying problem maybe I shouldn't have got the Boscam monitor.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 2.45.26 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 2.45.26 pm.png
    287.7 KB · Views: 474
Joel_t said:
Exactly, a 4:3 1080 video on a 16:9 monitor that could display 4:3 would be both pillarboxed and letterboxed.

I'm kinda understanding why this is happening. The output we are using to get our video feed is really for the GoPro LCD back which is obviously 4:3

This means that all we need to be able to do on our monitors is stretch the video vertically until we can't see the black bars anymore (This would also mean losing the GoPro on screen display) but would give us the correct image ratio.

Such a bummer. For such an annoying problem maybe I shouldn't have got the Boscam monitor.

Well. The boscam is a very inexpensive solution. Good for framing shot. If you want better FPV. The only way is maybe shoot 1440p. But post process to 1080p. You could frame the props out of the shot. It would fill the screen. The video would be squashed tho.
And I'll shoot narrow.

My iMovie doesn't work ugh. Can GoPro studio frame and crop video to 1080?

d4ddyo said:

Not too sure. If it can I doubt you would be able to tilt the 1440 video and choose your 1080 framing. Maybe you can though

Joel_t said:
d4ddyo said:

Not too sure. If it can I doubt you would be able to tilt the 1440 video and choose your 1080 framing. Maybe you can though

I checked. It can crop

d4ddyo said:
Joel_t said:
d4ddyo said:

I checked. It can crop

Can you adjust which part of the video you see in the 1080?

Joel_t said:

Dude. I'm talking about taking 1140p and turning it to 1080p post processing after I film. I'll fpv in 1440 48fps narrow field

d4ddyo said:
Joel_t said:

Dude. I'm talking about taking 1140p and turning it to 1080p post processing after I film. I'll fpv in 1440 48fps narrow field

Yeah I understand that I mean once you've got your 1440 video, in gopro studio, can you choose which part of that video you take the 1080 from? Cause you'll have to crop off top or bottom obviously. Or does the gopro studio just take the exact middle?

Joel_t said:
d4ddyo said:
Joel_t said:

Yeah I understand that I mean once you've got your 1440 video, in gopro studio, can you choose which part of that video you take the 1080 from? Cause you'll have to crop off top or bottom obviously. Or does the gopro studio just take the exact middle?

You can frame where you want to crop. In the case of 1440. You can only slide it up and down

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4