Asked to start a small business

Reaction score
Hi, as above, it looks like it will be a leisure business.
What's required is the Phantom Vision 2 plus craft with first person view headset, they want the Phantom to be limited to running 5 meters in height and 50 meters total distance range, I'm wondering if they are sold in a "all in one"package" and we can put some sort of range limiter perhaps in the controller. The most important thing promoted is safety, we all want the most enjoyable first person flying experience we can for the people.
I have a strong feeling the business will not actually work but since I'm only supplying then.....

The idea came from a video here of a man filming whales and Dolphins, just outstanding footage

I own the PV2, a very addictive thing it is
Any ideas? apart from...google is your friend :)
Thanks

You have been asked by whom to start this business? I'm little concened that this person is expecting you to take on all the risk involved. Can you get permission to use phantoms for for financial gain and insurance for example?

I'm in NZ, I think you and I have the same laws (not the same weather lol).

Well two rich friends want to see if it's a viable option.

They have seen my PV2 and I've talked them into getting the Plus model, rich people I've found like to "dabble" into things and since these are more a rich man toy and have flipped over mine they are all keen to do something with them.
I am getting a promo package together for them and a webpage. As for financial gain or making a dollar there is no stopping this as I see, Mine was bought by a company (he bought two and gave me one) and are used to film sites and he charges without an issue.

Insurance isn't an issue as they really don't care when one of them makes 27k per day (yes sounds unreal I know but it is what it is and I get his hand-me-downs). It will sell as buyer beware as DJI does but hours of training will be involved for every sale. The hard part is getting everything correct at the start.
Insurance for damage or maiming is also covered, god forbid and that's another reason to limit the flying area

They do need all the hardware for me to present a working unit hence my post. They/we want to control the craft for a small area, where FPV is concerned you only need a small place to get that flying feeling.

The thing is that using the camera on a UAV for commercial use is not allowed. FAA has already grounded a few companies who were using the UAV's camera's commercially.

Just keep in mind that until some real laws are put in place for commercial use they could try and come after you and you would have to try and fight them in court.

its an even grayer area than the gray area currently with UAV's and commercially selling footage or pictures. You are not technically selling the footage however you are charging to view the footage.

MikesTooLz said:
The thing is that using the camera on a UAV for commercial use is not allowed. FAA has already grounded a few companies who were using the UAV's camera's commercially.

Just keep in mind that until some real laws are put in place for commercial use they could try and come after you and you would have to try and fight them in court.

its an even grayer area than the gray area currently with UAV's and commercially selling footage or pictures. You are not technically selling the footage however you are charging to view the footage.
FAA has ZERO authority in New Zealand

phantomguy said:
MikesTooLz said:

FAA has ZERO authority in New Zealand
good call.

MikesTooLz said:

FAA also has zero authority in US. :)

I know this may be hard to believe but this is t about the U.S. :lol:
If australian law mirrors Kiwi law then flying for commercial gain requires a permit. Although I would seek an exemption if you can physically confine these aircraft to a set area. You can set height and range limits in the software.

You have to remember this isn't actually "flying for commercial gain" this is just supplying the units for sale and with some training and perhaps the commercial gain will come in if a requested job was to come up but that's another story of another failing business to be.

I'm also not trying to buy them cheap or do anything on the cheap.

" You can set height and range limits in the software." this is indeed good news, I would like to do mine as a test, any hint to where to approach this Ozzyguy

We are all States of the U.S :) (j/k) we luv our American friends, but I'm a bit afraid of the TSA they do leave a core shiver deep down that lasts for to long lol

You can access these settings in the Naza assistant you used to set up your phantom initially. Not sure which tab it resides under for the vision. Im also not sure how many people will want one with such restrictions.

steveeds said:
You have to remember this isn't actually "flying for commercial gain" this is just supplying the units for sale and with some training and perhaps the commercial gain will come in if a requested job was to come up but that's another story of another failing business to be.

What's product of the "small business" you plan to start? Training? Are you selling training to the company, which sells copters or to the end users?

I'm a business owner myself and I'm really struggling to see a business model unless I'm missing something? He wants to sell pv2+ with fpv equipment but limit their flying to a very small area? Is he trying to come up with some sort of fpv laser tag flying game????
Im confused without more detail.....

If its a headset fpv experience he wants to give customers then the vision and vision+ would not give the best results. You could use a few different goggles that are out there on the market like cinimizers or the new hd fatsharks. They both take hdmi inputs, a phone would get the fpv as normal and the a hdmi lead can come from the phone through an adapter and into the goggles. 1 problem is that if its a real good fpv quality you are after the visions will only give 480x640 quality, now this may be good enough but with a gopro setup you should be able to get much better quality well at least as what the specs on the goggles are.
Or is it for as your original post mentioned, for flying out from a boat over whales in the sea?

Well thanks for the comments, yes Ozzyguy has said it as I want it.

I have figured out through the years that if it's not simple then it won't work, that if you don't know the full ins and outs of the product it again won't turn out well, I have also learnt if you know too much that knowledge will hold you back. A Geek will always tinker and never get past it (well amost).
It should be simple and I'll probably just go to the guys who sold us these ones and make it his problem for a simple solution as it seems it may be fraught with dangers for the untrained.

Thanks Mal, no it's for the richy people of this part of the world, the sad reality of it they will buy it and get fed up with training and crash it and move to the next Toy, to avoid this it really has to be: beit a limited, "flying experience" or it won't fly at all.

Yeah sounds like something To steer well clear of, plenty of other ways to make money yourself with your phantom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues