Article about increasing hostility (ignorance) toward drones

My apologies if this has already been posted, but Slate magazine had a very interesting article about the increasing number of drones that are shot out of the sky by complete morons: I’m a Responsible, Law-Abiding Drone Operator. I’m Still Terrified of Being Shot At.
and that is why I have my CCW.
This is a few threads about this topic may not be about the same Magazine. I can't say I've had that happen to me. I had a dad yelling at me about his daughter was afraid I was going to cut off her head. You'll get people like that any where. I've had people come up and ask questions about the drone. I try to inform them as much as I can. Mostly how high can it go , how far can it go, can I see. Just try and keep a good communication with all of them, The good and the bad ones.

Until the court system prosecutes someone, publicizes the heck out of it, and makes an example out of them shooting drones out of the sky, this is being seen as a new sport by far too many who feel it is their legal right to shoot overflying drones. The link even mentions gun companies now selling anti-drone shotgun shells which will make some think "This must be legal to do." If the cops are complacent and claim its a civil matter, it will escalate.

I've been tempted to go buy a bright neon pink and yellow road construction vest that says "State Aerial Survey Crew" on the back, some sort of badge, and a yellow hard hat when flying. Maybe it will keep the shooters at bay...maybe.

Reactions: DividedSky
Until the court system prosecutes someone, publicizes the heck out of it, and makes an example out of them shooting drones out of the sky, this is being seen as a new sport by far too many who feel it is their legal right to shoot overflying drones. The link even mentions gun companies now selling anti-drone shotgun shells which will make some think "This must be legal to do." If the cops are complacent and claim its a civil matter, it will escalate.

I've been tempted to go buy a bright neon pink and yellow road construction vest that says "State Aerial Survey Crew" on the back, some sort of badge, and a yellow hard hat when flying. Maybe it will keep the shooters at bay...maybe.
great idea till everyone starts doing it.

I guess what surprised me most is that the law around "air space" is ambiguous. I thought that once in the air, UAVs had similar rights to manned aircraft, in the sense that no one (but the FAA) had the authority to issue no fly zones, nor could a private citizen enforce any kind of no-fly over their private property. Meaning, if I want to fly 100 feet above someone's house, I'm free to do so, just as I have no jurisdiction to tell that JetBlue flight that it may not pass above my condo.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20