Arris CM3000 3-axis brushless gimbal

Reaction score
the kind folks at Hobby-wing.com were kind enough to send me a pre-production version of their CM3000 3-axis gimbal,
it weights a bit more, but gotta say, it really smooths out the yaw-wobble that 2-axis gimbals can't remove!

first video is here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L1i0ykO ... iIaaxxyKTA

Attachments

• CM3000.JPG
    CM3000.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 2,214
Gizmo3000 said:
the kind folks at Hobby-wing.com were kind enough to send me a pre-production version of their CM3000 3-axis gimbal,
it weights a bit more, but gotta say, it really smooths out the yaw-wobble that 2-axis gimbals can't remove!

first video is here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L1i0ykO ... iIaaxxyKTA

Sounds great!!!!.........but you lost me with the weight increase. I just have a hard time loosing even more flying time. Bummer!!!

Hi

I have just bought a CM3000

What is the connection procedure for the cables, power no problem
but what about the other two cables?

Thanks

meridianpost said:
Hi

I have just bought a CM3000

What is the connection procedure for the cables, power no problem
but what about the other two cables?

Thanks

if you're connecting to a Phantom, disregard the Yaw and Yaw control cables.
if you're connecting to just an original Phantom that's still using the Futaba Tx, the only cable you can connect to is the pitch to the NAZA F2.
hope that makes sense.

Thanks for your help

It's as simple as power and pitch cable.
That is the white red and black cable.

Works fine.
What sort of flight time do you get with the additional weight?

about to pull the trigger on one of these. before I do, is it naturally set to follow mode or is there a switch that can control which mode its in?

Sorry i didn't catch this thread sooner

-it should default to Follow Yaw mode -on. if not, you'd want to connect to the GUI and change it to that.
while you're at it, you'd also want to turn pitch (and roll) to "angle" mode so that it's easier to manual tilt when done.
(yaw follow is the only mode you want to use, manually controlling the yaw is only for advance copters with separate camera operators)

it weighs a bit much, so expect much shorter flight times.

I switched to APC 9" MR props, which I found gives a little bit of extra lift.

With a shorter flight time, It can also be beneficial to adjust your battery failsafe levels to maximize flight time (just be sure to not push the batteries too hard).

is there any sort of easy walk through on connecting it to the GUI and messing with the settings? I'm good with hardware stuff, not great with software stuff.

Though my first gimbal, an Arris CM2000 was DOA, I just pulled the trigger on the CM3000. Hope I have better luck with this one. The 3rd axis is going to come in handy..... if it works.

I'm waiting for them to get the landing plate for the P2. I'll put it on that as soon as they come out with it. Also waiting for the 7th to see if DJI is going to have one then laugh at their $900 price point.

Ksc said:
is there any sort of easy walk through on connecting it to the GUI and messing with the settings? I'm good with hardware stuff, not great with software stuff.

It seems this whole industry is not good at creating these. I feel your pain. Detailed step by step instructions would be nice.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/tLmotfvsXQ8[/youtube] (uh, how does YouTube mode work here?)

I received my CM3000 today and just installed it in the kitchen with my baby boy commenting in the background. Working fairly well right out of the box. Looking forward to taking it for a spin tomorrow and rolling some tape, so to speak.

Ksc said:

it's actually pretty simple. Just ignore most of the windows, make sure Yaw Follow is enabled,and then in the RC settings turn on Angle mode instead of rate mode. (and turn up the angle mode numbers to slow things down a bit)

mediaguru said:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/tLmotfvsXQ8[/youtube] (uh, how does YouTube mode work here?)

I received my CM3000 today and just installed it in the kitchen with my baby boy commenting in the background. Working fairly well right out of the box. Looking forward to taking it for a spin tomorrow and rolling some tape, so to speak.
That's cool-been waiting for someone(other than reviewers) to get one of these.
Are you flying a Phantom 1?
All those wires sticking out the back-is one a 4/5 pin for an FPV transmitter?(I think they have 5 pins but only use 4 wires-2 of which plug into the go pro 3).
I'm very curious on your flight times.....and, what other equipment you have on your aircraft(FPV, iOSD...)?

I think if this CM3000 works well-I may purchase one. Too me, it's a game changer in the "film industry" at it's price point....yaw axis stability has always been the Phantom's "Achilles heal", so I'm very excited to see you put it through it's paces, with some really tight, fast turns and yaws-to see how well it keep up.

Also-is this thing adjustable enough, that you could put a filter holder and neutral density filter on the front of the lens of the Go Pro 3, without it entering a hibernation state due to weight imbalance towards the front??

Good luck-have fun, and thanks.

havasuphoto said:
mediaguru said:

That's cool-been waiting for someone(other than reviewers) to get one of these.
Are you flying a Phantom 1?
All those wires sticking out the back-is one a 4/5 pin for an FPV transmitter?(I think they have 5 pins but only use 4 wires-2 of which plug into the go pro 3).
I'm very curious on your flight times.....and, what other equipment you have on your aircraft(FPV, iOSD...)?

I think if this CM3000 works well-I may purchase one. Too me, it's a game changer in the "film industry" at it's price point....yaw axis stability has always been the Phantom's "Achilles heal", so I'm very excited to see you put it through it's paces, with some really tight, fast turns and yaws-to see how well it keep up.

Also-is this thing adjustable enough, that you could put a filter holder and neutral density filter on the front of the lens of the Go Pro 3, without it entering a hibernation state due to weight imbalance towards the front??

Good luck-have fun, and thanks.

Yes this is a phantom 1.

I'm at the office now so don't have the phantom with me. Can't say on the wires right now.

I'm guessing that since they're set up balanced for the gopro without all the filters and accessories you are mentioning, it may not fly. It would certainly need tweaking balance wise. The way the fantom sits in the mount would probably interfere with your being able to mount filters to the lens.

Flight times are definitely going to be interesting to note. My "safe" zone is 8 minutes with the regular mount, jello reduction and the gopro in its waterproof case. I'm figuring it will be less than that.

This gimbal appears to be much better put together than the CM2000. It is smaller, lighter and more well built.

OK, I understand the yaw damper may swing the filter into a leg or two...oh well.
Just to confirm, you are not using FPV transmitter or iOSD?? Trying to get an idea of what your flight times should be.
With the above equipment, and the Zen 3d-2 whatever, I'm at 5 minutes 20 seconds before 1st level red flash begins.
No case for my Go Pro 3.....
My total weight is 2.8 lbs(on a home digital weight scale), or 1270 grams. IF, you get a chance, could you weigh your set-up??
If you have a new baby-ya gotta have one of them baby scales ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20