arrests for not having your drone registered.?

Reaction score
Wondering how many drone police are out there and whos been slapped with a fine for not registering their bird (helicopter, fixed wing scratch built slow flyer etc.)
with all the drum thumping it would seem eveyone is flooding the faa with lincolns. Just wondering how true and equipted the faa really is at slapping heafty fines on those who not register.

For me, I havent heard a sqeek in the us news of anyone being punished for flying without registration.
I fly with a club of fixed wing guys, they have no plans to register because they dont consider their hobby a drone model . Its an airplane vs. Drone with 4 rotors.

So are the drone police checking the ama fields for compliance or just neighborhood drivebys seeking out quads and whether or not they have a registratoion #?

I was under the impression registration was required for all unmanned aircraft, fixed wing or rotor.

I registered because I can't afford $250,000 when some cop has an argument with his wife before leaving for work that day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Not sure if people are getting asked or not. Most LEO's you ask want no part of it but if they get a call they have to respond. I doubt you would be arrested, more likely you would get an appearance ticket. As far as your flying buddies, they couldn't be more off the mark. Any RC aircraft over the weight must be registered, not just drones/quads. It doesn't matter if it is a conventional fixed wing model or a traditional helicopter model, they all require registration. If your buddies are AMA members then they should be fully aware of the new rules as the AMA has been publicising it for some time.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I doubt there is drone police as those are FAA regulations and most local law enforcement is not going to enforce FAA regulations unless you're doing something reckless which will most likely result in a state law violation not anyhow related to your FAA registration.

I've been stopped by numerous cops in the past month and not a single one has asked to see FAA registration plus they have no way to really check unless they go on the FAA site

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Cops won't likely involve themselves unless there is a complaint or an obvious issue such as a crash, injury, property damage, etc.

Arrests? It's a civil violation, not criminal. Fines. No jail time.

Sagebrush

I was flying a couple weeks ago and a cop pulled up to me and said he got 2 complaints of suspicious activity. He asked for my reg and I was surprised he new about no fly zones and the area outside of the no fly zones. He said they were worried about the drones that are poorly made and people pushing them to the limits and risking getting people hurt. The cop was a nice guy and told me to carry on and enjoy. He also suggested I contact the nearest airport when I fly in case a plan has to make a emergency landing.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If there is a need to get asked/checked then Law Enforcement will do so. For the most part they are happy doing many other things than worrying about our R/C aircraft. Fact of the matter is that IF there is a question about your registration or an incident has happens, LEA's have been given the direction and forms to fill out and then hand it all over to the FAA for further actions. Here's the first paragraph of the memo to Law Enforcement:

"There is evidence of a considerable increase in the unauthorized use of small, inexpensive Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) by individuals and organizations, including companies. The FAA retains the responsibility for enforcing Federal Aviation Regulations, including those applicable to the use of UAS. The agency recognizes though that State and local Law Enforcement Agencies (LEA) are often in the best position to deter, detect, immediately investigate, and, as appropriate, pursue enforcement actions to stop unauthorized or unsafe UAS operations. The information provided below is intended to support the partnership between the FAA and LEAs in addressing these activities."

If you'd like you can google "FAA_UAS-PO_LEA_Guidance" or better yet Let Me Google That For you

I feel like a criminal and I haven't done anything. Like an outlaw or something. Sad. It's almost to the point where it's just not worth it and I should take up bowling.

Reactions: Ramphex
Actually, that is incorrect. It's criminal and not civil. The difference is not fines vs jail time. Civil is between two parties who are not enforcing laws and for actual damages. Criminal is the prosecution allowed under law.

I beg to differ.

FAA Enforcement - AOPA

"Criminal actions play a small, but increasing, part in FAA enforcement. Historically, they applied only to such acts as aircraft piracy, forgery of certificates, carrying weapons aboard aircraft, and the like..."

The vast majority of FAA enforcement actions are not criminal. You are not cited into federal court. There is no entering a plea of innocent or guilt. There is no jury. You're not facing prison. It's an administrative (civil) action against the pilot and the question is loss of certificate and/or fine.

Sagebrush

I beg to differ.

FAA Enforcement - AOPA

"Criminal actions play a small, but increasing, part in FAA enforcement. Historically, they applied only to such acts as aircraft piracy, forgery of certificates, carrying weapons aboard aircraft, and the like..."

The vast majority of FAA enforcement actions are not criminal. You are not cited into federal court. There is no entering a plea of innocent or guilt. There is no jury. You're not facing prison. It's an administrative (civil) action against the pilot and the question is loss of certificate and/or fine.

A civil matter is started from a Complaint being filed (a lawsuit). it's a civil action as it serves to protect a civil right. A criminal matter starts with a charge or citation. A criminal case is the result of committing a crime. If you violate the FAA regulations, you are guilty of a crime.

You are guaranteed a trial in any civil or criminal matter. If an officer issues you a citation it's a criminal matter if you enter a plea. If the FAA charges you with anything you can plea not guilty and you get a trial. It may be a trial before a judge or jury but it's still a trial. Look at the FAA vs Pirker case. The FAA cited/charged him with reckless flying. he plead not guilty and there was a trial.

Reactions: QuadBart
A civil matter is started from a Complaint being filed (a lawsuit). it's a civil action as it serves to protect a civil right. A criminal matter starts with a charge or citation. A criminal case is the result of committing a crime. If you violate the FAA regulations, you are guilty of a crime.

You are guaranteed a trial in any civil or criminal matter. If an officer issues you a citation it's a criminal matter if you enter a plea. If the FAA charges you with anything you can plea not guilty and you get a trial. It may be a trial before a judge or jury but it's still a trial. Look at the FAA vs Pirker case. The FAA cited/charged him with reckless flying. he plead not guilty and there was a trial.

TCOPE:

Not going to get into a legal debate on a forum. If this was face to face, I'd buy the beer. But not on a forum.

S - retired LEO

Violation of FAA regulations/guidelines is indeed a civil penalty which results in a monetary fine.

With that being said if you also break state or federal laws in the process of violating guidelines/regulations, you may face criminal charges.

As a cop we can not enforce federal law. The faa fbi or someone like that would need to do it.

can a police officer even enforce FAA rules? All my encounters with cops they have always just wanted to see how the drone works.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4