Arizona Flyers May 6th Meetup at Two Guns / Canyon Diablo

Reaction score
International Drone Day Meetup May 6th - Two Guns / Canyon Diablo Arizona

No that isn’t a made up holiday, but I’m sure Hallmark will sell cards for it in the near future International Drone Day – May 06, 2017

This invite is being posted on a few of the UAS groups. So you may see this more than once.

Going to make another trek up north to the Two Guns and Canyon Diablo Area on May 6th. This area is 26 miles west of Winslow on I40.

Meetup at the building marked KAMP at 1PM. I am planning on exploring all the areas and stay overnight close by to get more shots in the sunrise on Sunday. But you can plan on making it a long day trip as well.

Google Maps

Note: There are no facilities in this area. I can confirm cell coverage with Verizon. Since this is Arizona in the summer, bring lots of water and anything else you need. There are lots of things out here that sting, prick or bite. I will have a first aid kit, fire extinguisher and popup tent. With no power, bring lots of batteries. Maybe someone will show up with a generator.

This is a target rich environment for flying. This link is a location reel I did last month. It’s ugly, minimal editing, no grading, but lets you see what is there.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This can be a challenging place to fly. You should expect wind and be sure to study your area of operation before taking off. Lots of wires hanging off poles.

Two Guns is a road side stopover on the old Route 66. Appears to have been quite an attraction in its glory days. All that remains are the stone walls of the buildings. Slightly to the east is the old campground.

Canyon Diablo is about 4 miles north on a bumpy road where the BNSF Railroad crosses the canyon. I made it in my wife's Edge, but all bets are off it if rains. I would bring something with a little clearance.

East of the bridge is the remains of the town built in the 90s for construction workers. It was rumored to be the roughest town in the west. Tombstone was a day care compared to this place. They hired a sheriff at noon and he was dead by sunset.

This section of the BNSF is heavily travelled. You can usually expect 4 or more trains an hour. If you get lucky, you will have two pass on the bridge. I was out there and saw 3 in a 30 minute window.

To the west is the town of Winona. Old steel bridge that was bypassed as well as the mine.

To the east is Winslow, if you want to stand on a corner. And meteor crater. I haven't approached them, but someone may be able to get permission to fly the area in exchange for footage. Never hurts to ask.

Thanks for posting the info and your scouting reel. Those older building ruins look promising. I don't think I'll be able to make the date but will try checking this place out the next time I am in the area. Coal Mine Canyon is on my bucket list, so I'll kind of be in the neighborhood when going to/from that destination.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan