Reaction score
Altitude limits has scrubbed my latest Litchi mission.
Take Off: 5444'
Fly to top of Horsetooth Mountain (elevation 7,260') which is 1816 feet above takeoff point.
Litchi limits me to 1640 feet.

That should change, don't 'cha think? Maybe they are working on it right now? I recall it being discussed where any drone app should be able to calculate height above terrain. Will that be the future?

Litchi can't fix it. That limit is in the craft firmware. Only DJI can alter that limit.

I also wish they would increase that to about 2500'. The problem is it might be misused and cause problems.

I don't think there is any cost effective sensor technology to sense 400' above ground, and be light enough to work good. I think it would have to use GPS to get a real time MSL elevation, which seems doable but more complex. The craft or iPad would need an internet connection to access dynamic ground levels below the craft in order to calculate current AGL.

Last edited:
Altitude limits has scrubbed my latest Litchi mission.
Take Off: 5444'
Fly to top of Horsetooth Mountain (elevation 7,260') which is 1816 feet above takeoff point.
Litchi limits me to 1640 feet.

That should change, don't 'cha think? Maybe they are working on it right now? I recall it being discussed where any drone app should be able to calculate height above terrain. Will that be the future?
I agree.

The FAA rules say if you are within 400 feet to the side of the obstacle or mountain, then you should be able to fly up to 2,216' in your example (1,816' + 400' AGL on top of the mountain.). Maybe DJI should offer an unlock to do so given the terrain's height? Wonder if the same applies to the decent side too (Top of mountain down)?

Well heck, its a moot point. I got approached by the county park ranger who informed me that RC anything is prohibited!. RC cars, RC boats, RC planes, etc. Something to do with the bureau of reclamation and homeland security. I'm sure he was just bloviating at this point I was able to finish two of the four series of linked flights I had planned :) I might start a club: "Phantom Scofflaws".
Phantom Scofflaws.jpg

Reactions: cstout
Well heck, its a moot point. I got approached by the county park ranger who informed me that RC anything is prohibited!. RC cars, RC boats, RC planes, etc. Something to do with the bureau of reclamation and homeland security. I'm sure he was just bloviating at this point I was able to finish two of the four series of linked flights I had planned :) I might start a club: "Phantom Scofflaws".
View attachment 67914

Well, congrats on getting run off. Been there myself. ;)

One local pro photographer told me, "If you haven't been run off by the police for doing something with a camera, you haven't been a pro long enough." Still Homeland Security is a new one I haven't heard of as a new rule to ban them in a park.

Reactions: FlashBuddy
Well, congrats on getting run off. Been there myself. ;)

One local pro photographer told me, "If you haven't been run off by the police for doing something with a camera, you haven't been a pro long enough." Still Homeland Security is a new one I haven't heard of as a new rule to ban them in a park.
So, will you be joining my club? What size shirt?

NoCo Drones

Reactions: cstout

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers