Area 51???

Not on the no fly list, SO HOW FAR COULD YOU FLY?
I'm confidant others here know far more about this than I BUT I do know that Area 51 is restricted airspace and no civilian flights of "any" kind are permitted. I doubt anyone attempting it would get much further than a couple of hundred feet beyond the perimeter if that with all the sensors they have out and it undoubtedly would be a one way trip. The operator would most probably be found and convicted so it's just not a wise idea all the way around but that's just my humble opinion. Your mileage may vary.

The closest anyone can "legally" get to Groom Lake is 26 miles away so what would be the point? Even at that distance you WILL be observed and trying to get closer would get you a visit from the cammo dudes (security).
BOT

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
Hear bull the backdoor man needs a new cell mate.

Restricted airspace is not prohibited airspace.

Area 51 is not a prohibited area. Pilots may overfly Area 51 anytime. Area 51 is in airspace that is charted ar R-4808N.
Restricted airspace is defined: "Restricted areas denote the existence of unusual, often invisible, hazards to aircraft such as artillery firing, aerial gunnery, or guided missiles. Penetration of restricted areas without authorization from the using or controlling agency may be extremely hazardous to the aircraft and its occupants."

The adjacent restricted airspace has a similar ominous warning:
"WARNING: R-4806W, R-4807A, R-4807B CONTAIN MANY UNEXPLODED BOMBS, ROCKETS, AND OTHER ORDINANCE THAT MAY EXPLODE IF DISTURBED. NO AIRFIELD OR ACTIVE RUNWAY EXISTS WITHIN THESE AREAS; HOWEVER, SIMULATED AIRFIELDS UTILIZED AS BOMBING TARGETS DO EXIST. AIRCRAFT LANDINGS IN R-4806 W, R-4807 A, AND R-4807 B ARE AT THE PILOT'S OWN RISK."

Area 51 is not a prohibited area. Pilots may overfly Area 51 anytime. Area 51 is in airspace that is charted ar R-4808N.
Restricted airspace is defined: "Restricted areas denote the existence of unusual, often invisible, hazards to aircraft such as artillery firing, aerial gunnery, or guided missiles. Penetration of restricted areas without authorization from the using or controlling agency may be extremely hazardous to the aircraft and its occupants."

"WARNING: R-4806W, R-4807A, R-4807B CONTAIN MANY UNEXPLODED BOMBS, ROCKETS, AND OTHER ORDINANCE THAT MAY EXPLODE IF DISTURBED. NO AIRFIELD OR ACTIVE RUNWAY EXISTS WITHIN THESE AREAS; HOWEVER, SIMULATED AIRFIELDS UTILIZED AS BOMBING TARGETS DO EXIST. AIRCRAFT LANDINGS IN R-4806 W, R-4807 A, AND R-4807 B ARE AT THE PILOT'S OWN RISK."

Found this on the net:
"The altitude for R-4808N is UNLTD, which means you can't get high enough to overfly it.
All the altitude restrictions means is that you have to request permission if you want to fly across the restricted area at any altitude in that range. Surface to Unlimited means is that no aircraft can cross the restricted area without specific permission to enter the area. This includes military aircraft.
Navy and Air Force pilots have gotten into trouble for straying in to the restricted area without advance permission.
If the altitude restriction was Surface to FL480 - the Citation X and Gulfstream 550 aircraft could cross over the airspace without requesting permission. Surface to Unlimited is very clear - no aircraft can cross the restricted area without permission.
For many restricted areas, permission to cross the area can be given. Do not expect permission to be given to cross R-4808N."

From my understanding of that is the altitude for R-4808N is from the surface to Unlimited. Yes, you "can" fly over "with" permission but fat chance of getting that permission and good luck to anyone who tries without it. Even military flights are not permitted unless they originated from the base.
Here's some interesting info on the location:
http://www.darkgovernment.com/news/area-51/
BOT

Last edited:
**** BOT, I think you just blew all that quoting, that SM did, right out of the sky. LOL, Nice shooting Tex.

So Colorado68, I'm thinking you can fly all the way to the first bullet that will shoot your bird down. The problem with that is, they will then find you and you'll have a room next to ET, about 400 feet below the lake... :eek:

Shoot some video if you do fly, it'll certainly make it high on the YouTube hits list, before it gets shut down, and you get the room next to ET.

**** BOT, I think you just blew all that quoting, that SM did, right out of the sky. LOL, Nice shooting Tex.

So Colorado68, I'm thinking you can fly all the way to the first bullet that will shoot your bird down. The problem with that is, they will then find you and you'll have a room next to ET, about 400 feet below the lake... :eek:

Shoot some video if you do fly, it'll certainly make it high on the YouTube hits list, before it gets shut down, and you get the room next to ET.
Bot...where ya learn to cut and paste like that o_O
And carry some extra smokes Colorado as ET hadn't had one in awhile ! See..
giphy.gif
Some place's ya just don't go :eek:

Reactions: steveeds and 750r

Ya saying to be sure and carry a metal detector Steve if ya land in one of them spots ! ;)
Liked your post cause ya just look like ya need one bro :D:p

Was thinking the exact same thing.
Now, if you put some bright lights on the quad it might just blend in :D

From my understanding of that is the altitude for R-4808N is from the surface to Unlimited. Yes, you "can" fly over "with" permission but fat chance of getting that permission and good luck to anyone who tries without it. Even military flights are not permitted unless they originated from the base.
Here's some interesting info on the location:
http://www.darkgovernment.com/news/area-51/
BOT

My mistake. My source was the AIM:
3−4−3. Restricted Areas
a. Restricted areas contain airspace identified by
an area on the surface of the earth within which the
flight of aircraft, while not wholly prohibited, is
subject to restrictions.
Living in Northern California and with relatives all over Nevada and Wyoming, I got a lot of first-hand exposure to more than a few R's and MOA's. On an IFR flight in my Cessna from Reno to Las Vegas I was vectored over Groom Lake by ATC to avoid a SIGMET of severe turbulence. They assured me that the restricted zones were not hot.

My mistake. My source was the AIM:
3−4−3. Restricted Areas
a. Restricted areas contain airspace identified by
an area on the surface of the earth within which the
flight of aircraft, while not wholly prohibited, is
subject to restrictions.
Living in Northern California and with relatives all over Nevada and Wyoming, I got a lot of first-hand exposure to more than a few R's and MOA's. On an IFR flight in my Cessna from Reno to Las Vegas I was vectored over Groom Lake by ATC to avoid a SIGMET of severe turbulence. They assured me that the restricted zones were not hot.

**** Steve,
I'm going to throw my boots away, I need a dry suit for this load of Krap. NO CAL, really??? I'da found you. Whatever... :rolleyes:

So, did they search the plane when you got to Vegas, for pics of the "Restricted Area"?

Ahh, but I divert from the topic, shame on me. :p Oh, wait, this is OT, I can go where ever the heck I want with this... I'm thinking Colorado68, if you're still out of jail, should go for it. Do some stealthy stuff and take video from the ground as well as the air. I was just joking about the room next to ET. They let him go when Obamo got elected... :eek:

Don't forget to wear a foil helmet...:cool:

Reactions: 750r

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers