Are you using UAV Bits' Strong arms and....

So far im not impressed with the strong arm kit, it left permanent marks in my phantom arms and in general you can feel that something is loose when you apply minimal force to the arms, it was much better without them. But i will give those strong arms plates another chance, the owner told me that he will send me a new kit to me because my old kit was pretty roughly done according to him. The bottom side is rougher than usual. I will wait with my final conclusion about these but i have now a Phantom3 with bite marks in every arm

I have installed the kit a months ago and i dont know what i should think about the strong arm kit. There are a lot more cracking and crunching sounds going on when i slightly try to twist the end of the arms, i havent tested the kit in the air yet. The shells are just not as solid than before, they are slightly more loose. All screws are tight, so maybe this is normal but i have a strange feeling about it.
Maybe the plastic material of the kit is to flexible and thin, the plates are bending like hell.

29x67f7.jpg
Going off the indentation of the screws, are they a bit too tight?

I've just received notification that my UAV Strong Arms have been delivered, in only 8 days from th US. As I am at work I won't be able to fit them until later today. I'll try it at the weekend with the new firmware update to figure out too. Let's hope that the weather stays dry

Going off the indentation of the screws, are they a bit too tight?
No, this have to be tight otherwise it will be even more loose! You cant put this on hand tight because its flexible, thats the key here. It will bend itself the the correct shape because its so thin and of course not 100% accurate. If you hand tighten this the motors would wiggle like hell because the pressure isnt enough to bend it in shape. This is the normal look, it looks dramatic because of the lighting, you can see how much the material bends

I put the second set on my other P3P and, I know that I feel more secure knowing they are there. As one person said the material is flexible... still I can see how it spreads the pressure of the screws over a larger surface which, in theory, should reduce stress fractures right at the screw points. Plus, as another said, it's an added layer of protection should a motor mount break free. For $25... I think it's worth it. I will say, it's a shame we have to use a 3rd party product to feel comfortable - but that doesn't mean we shouldn't take precautions if they are available to us.

Pre-install I had a crack developing on one of the screws. I installed them about a week ago and have done a few flights with no issues. The arms definitely seem stronger (not as much flex). Install is easy just follow the printed directions that come with the kit. I had zip ties on before and I just left those on there too. I have another Phantom I will be ordering them for as well.

Hello fellow Pilots,
I have an early P3P with 89 flights and over 10 hours of flight time. Props balanced since nearly day 1 and I did not have any evidence of cracking. I installed the UAV Bits product as a preventative measure and was fairly pleased with the outcome. I did clean them up a bit and ground out some of the rougher edges. Installation was simple and straightforward although I did notice the creaking after the installation was complete. The arms are definitely stiffer and feel sturdier and I suspect that the creaking was due to the two plastics moving ever so slightly against each other. Thus far I have had about eight flights with the reinforced arms with no issues whatsoever or experienced any loosening of the screws. Actually with the additional flights the creaking sound has substantially decreased. I will put a few more hours on the arms and then remove the plates to check for any cracks if they ever do form.
Regards,
Albert

Last edited:
Reactions: nickyb and Tashier
Can any of you guys on here tell me the length of the bolts/screws that I need to fit the strong arm plates.

I've got at set of plates but haven't the screws to fit them.

Cheers

Jim

I put the strong arms on after about 10 flights. Took them off today after 100 flights to inspect and I have a pretty bad Crack on the left rear arm. Sigh....

Attachments

• 1444789065134.jpg
    1444789065134.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 428
I put the strong arms on after about 10 flights. Took them off today after 100 flights to inspect and I have a pretty bad Crack on the left rear arm. Sigh....
That's not good. Did you always have that shell separation too? I see a wee bit of seam separation on one of my arms. I'm not really sold on this product. I think there's a placebo effect going on, frankly. What you don't see doesn't mean it isn't happening underneath. I wouldn't be surprised if most people who took a look found problems regardless. If you're gonna get cracks, it's gonna happen.

I just installed mine last night.
I think they wont stop the cracks. The only way is probably is get your shell replaced with newer variants (and that's not proven yet). However I think the strong arms will do their job in stopping catastrophic motor separation failure.

Reactions: HD pilot
The shell separation is because of the crack. If you squeeze the shell back together there the crack closes. It wasn't noticeable before because the strong arms were holding the shell clamped together.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj