Are you nervous when you fly?

What made me nervous was reading too much. All the fly aways and crashes. I am always very careful how and where I fly. Always flying within my abilities and pushing it slightly more each time.

mickey78 said:
Hey guys, so for your info I'm a new pilot. I'm having a P2 right now with no FPV but it will soon be exchanged for a P2V+ so maybe my nervosity will change.

So are you nervous when you fly, is this a feeling that stays or it goes away after a certain time. I'm nervous when I get it high in the air, I'm nervous when it goes too far. It seems the only time I'm not is when it's around me.

What do you guys think ?

Sorry same feeling all the time .. but i think that is normal... :roll:

Skyjunkie said:
I assume the air over water is pretty smooth. But what about the transition between water and land. Isn't the air warmer over land? Isn't there going to be some turbulence when you come upon land from the water or vice versa?

Any changes in transition from water and land are going to be trivial and nothing compared to the wind gusts the phantom copes with on a windy day. It's a very capable flier and has surprised me with how much it can handle.

Over 20 flights under my belt, with only one oddity, which I later learned was probably due to a very high K on the day (therefore no calibrate, no satellites, no green lights. Went home). So I was extra nervous on the next flight, but it was flawless.

I always feel nervous and anxious in the car when driving to my flying spots. I always feel great driving home after a flight!

On my gravestone it should say "He flew over water!"

I **** my pants everytime it's higher than the trees..... i'm more of a lowflyer for now.
Want to have absolute control and experience before i take it higher than i feel comfortable with.

I think I was less nervous when I did my first solo getting my PPL than when I'm flying my Vision+! It's all part of the 'fun' and bing a bit nervous can keep you sharp and on your toes. Fly safe and enjoy!

dirkclod said:
But while waiting for RTH or FPV to come back on screen

Same with me. I have been flying out until I run out of control which is now about 7150' in my case. Sometimes the time it takes to get FPV back and get it back into GPS mode and under control is a long time (or seems like it). So far the technology has proven itself.

I will say to the OP. Understand what all the modes do and what is happening in any event.

Musicman said:
I **** my pants everytime it's higher than the trees..... i'm more of a lowflyer for now.
Want to have absolute control and experience before i take it higher than i feel comfortable with.

Flying higher is actually safer. More height means more time to react if something happens. Obviously don't fly so high at first that you lose sight of it, but flying at 10m is much safer than flying at 2m.

Yeah, i'm staying way of the ground, but taking it up to 30 meters and beyond is still uncomfortable for me, not so much for pilot error, but more mechanical failure. Need to trust it first :)
Lower to the ground i'm not nervous at all, the flying goes pretty well. no crashes and lots of trees.
It's just the hight...
had a AR drone before this, and it happened once that a battery had a loose connection, and it came down..
Still have that feeling with me when i go up hehheh

I have been flying my Phantom 1 almost a year now and have done quite a few flights. But still remain nervous before and during flights and relieved and happy when I am on my way home with everything still intact! I am amazed at just how stable and effective the Phantom is. And so far any unusual behaviour has been down to me and never with the craft. But like anything it can and no doubt at some point will go wrong or break. The most you can hope it that won't happen when its far away or really high up!
But despite all the criticism that DJI gets- I think they have done a remarkable job on getting such a cool looking and brilliant flying machine that can capture such remarkable videos and images.
One thing I have noticed with nervousness is it build up if you are unable to fly for a week or more because of bad weather or work etc. When I have done several flying days in a row I actually begin to feel a bit more confident! :)

bill

as you know i live in a very dense/populated city, which means i have no open spaces for distance/altitude flights.

my first 10 flights i was very nervous
when i switched to naza i was very nervous

every time i try to go higher/farthest i get very nervous. i guess its just a matter to feel confident that the phantom will respond the same at 5 meters high or at 150.

this weekend i went to a very open place (theres a park, golf course and a dam) and flew my phantom until i almost lost los (distance and altitude) and i felt like i sent it about 800 m distance and 300 altitude... i was wrong, today i review flytrex data and it was 180m distance and 134 altitude :roll:

http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopt ... cer-65686/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    894.8 KB · Views: 349
With the Phantom, battery, CF blades, Stella gimbal, and GoPro 3 making up about a C note total cost in the air I'm nervous every single flight. :shock:

pierrelogic said:
With the Phantom, battery, CF blades, Stella gimbal, and GoPro 3 making up about a C note total cost in the air I'm nervous every single flight. :shock:

A "C Note" is $100, isn't it? I would imagine that most of us have spent rather more than that on our Phantoms. I know that I have.

Musicman said:
Yeah, i'm staying way of the ground, but taking it up to 30 meters and beyond is still uncomfortable for me, not so much for pilot error, but more mechanical failure. Need to trust it first :)
Lower to the ground i'm not nervous at all, the flying goes pretty well. no crashes and lots of trees.
It's just the hight...
had a AR drone before this, and it happened once that a battery had a loose connection, and it came down..
Still have that feeling with me when i go up hehheh

:D I have an ar-drone too. I had the same problem you described. One time it came down cause a loose connection too. Im allways nervous, allways i remember that episode. If have on my belt 55 flights , i go high 120 meters (very nervous allways) but i think that is part of the hobby and its ok.

What i cant do yet is FPV flight. I cant manage the glare. I think i will need the epson glasses. ;)

Also, i think that my nervous is directly proportional to the cost of the phantom to me. On money exchange ( im from Argentina) is a lot lot of money compared to you.... :oops:

Hehheh. yeah, well i'm just checking the connections always. :) The connecting system looks pretty good on the phantom, so i'll just have to learn to trust it :)

Today I took my P2 out to 500m, which is the furthest yet. No problems with control or FPV flying out, but lost FPV for a while flying back (I need to move my FPV antenna - it's at the back, and when I turn towards myself it's shielded by the gimbal and camera). I regained the image at about 400m distance, so no problem. I would probably have kept FPV if I'd been flying higher (I was at about 40m altitude).

WELL, dam it. I had about six lines typed and the forum page just dropped everything. First time ever on this forum. ???????
Not really worried just lots of concern. I will worry if/when it gets a mind of it's own and goes down or flies back to China.

I have been flying RC heli's for a while - and I have bouts of nervousness. If I haven't flown in a while... I get nervous. If I am trying a new thing... I get nervous. If I crash doing something I thought was correct... I get nervous flying for a while. The nervousness for me goes up in direct correlation with the amount of $$ I have in the air :)

Buckaye said:
I have been flying RC heli's for a while - and I have bouts of nervousness. If I haven't flown in a while... I get nervous. If I am trying a new thing... I get nervous. If I crash doing something I thought was correct... I get nervous flying for a while. The nervousness for me goes up in direct correlation with the amount of $$ I have in the air :)

i think that all of us ,rc hobby enthusiasts, are a sort of "hidden gamblers" . What motivates us is the $$$ on the air, like a gambling round. without that motivation, the hobby enthusiasm would drop. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1