Are you nervous when you fly?

Reaction score
Hey guys, so for your info I'm a new pilot. I'm having a P2 right now with no FPV but it will soon be exchanged for a P2V+ so maybe my nervosity will change.

So are you nervous when you fly, is this a feeling that stays or it goes away after a certain time. I'm nervous when I get it high in the air, I'm nervous when it goes too far. It seems the only time I'm not is when it's around me.

What do you guys think ?

I was nervous, but it goes away. Start slow, stay low, and soon you'll be ready for that next step.

Caution will replace nervousness once you get more experience, and that's a good thing. Better to ease in to it at your own pace rather than get ahead of your own skill level. But, at the same time, don't be afraid to gradually push the boundaries of your comfort zone, a little bit on each flight.

It gets easier.
But expect your nervousness to go UP again when you get your Plus. Until you get used to it, too. The FPV is a whole nother sensory input that can be pretty overwhelming at first. But it too gets easier with time and experience.

Yeaaahh tell me about it. For a lack of better word!!! I'm nervous just reading those comments. Can'T wait to get the Vision+ but I don't know how I will handle all this.

I was crazy nervous my first few. Then it goes away the more you fly. I flew at a busy campsite today, and it was quite windy. I was taking some free pics for them so the boss and some workers and campers were crowding around asking questions. Lots of tall trees too. As long as I am confident then I am ok. I think I am more caustious than nervous.

I get nervous around the first ~30 seconds because I'm hoping my Phantom wouldn't flip out or something and then I start getting more anxiety when people start coming up to me begging for questions. :lol:

There are times when I wish the controls were a little stiffer IMO. I also feel like changing to shorter sticks since I'm more of a thumb-er than a finger-er.

I live in a residential area but with big back yards. I did not want to be a nuisance to neighbors and started in my own back yard (with plenty of trees) only a few feet from the ground. That was a mistake. I bumped into my home and a few of those trees plenty before realizing I should just go a few miles to the park. I "learned" to be nervous through accidents.

Each and every time I do something new or push my boundaries.

But not as nervous as I was yesterday at local AMA field with stunt planes and helis flying around the P2 at crazy speeds. It was a overload on my slow brain ;)

mickey78 said:
So are you nervous when you fly...
I'm about 20 flights on. Two times I get nervous: 1) when I'm trying some new feature (haven't hit them all yet) and 2) when it does something unexpected.

I still can't get over how forgiving and stable it is. Once I got over the initial "is it gonna do what it's supposed to" phase, my most nervous point was trying out ground station, watching it climb and fly away, and away, and away, ... But it worked flawlessly.

The only really unexpected thing that's happened, I was flying this weekend in a bit of a breeze (12-15mph) and I wanted to check out the drift in ATTI mode. I'll just say it gets away pretty fast! At one point I had to use FPV to orient it so I could fly it back. Still short of hitting the panic button though.

Today I did my first flight over water - a lake in the English Lake District. That was a little worrying, but the only reason I was confident to do it is that previous experience has shown me just how reliable the Phantom is.

I think being nervous is a good thing. Keeps you on your toes. I am nervous every time. I believe it keeps me from getting in trouble. I have about 30 flights under my belt. When I stop being nervous, that is probably when I have my first reason to be nervous!

Being nervous as a Phantom Noob is perfectly normal.

Just pop a couple Xanax before every flight and you'll be amazed at how relaxed your flying will be.

Also don't forget to carry a trusty can of Mace when you fly in public places --- I'm starting to get VERY annoyed at nosy rude kids coming up to me and asking lots of stupid questions and playing with the switches on my controller and wiping snots on my pinwheels. One 7th grader even asked me to buy him a Phantom Vision+ !! I told him to get outta my face and go do his homework.

Time to spray 'em where it hurts! :mrgreen:

I still am a bit after my first few flights but I'm starting to trust the equipment more and more. My first flights I stayed about 20ft or so off the ground within eyesight learning the behavior of it. My first flight had a small scare as it was about 80 ft or so away it started to go higher on it's own and wouldn't respond to the sticks. I wasn't sure what was going on so I hit my failsafe button. It then returned home and landed itself as it should. I then looked and realized it had low battery so it was probably starting return to home anyway when it went higher on it's own.
I just added FPV and the gopro so I plan to go slow with that as well. As I trust the equipment more I will take it step by step.

I can't understand people that fly over water or do something risky starting as a new flyer.

mickey78 said:
Indeed water for the first time must be somethin!!!
Once you get used to your Phantom not falling from the sky onto hard land you understand that it isn't going to fall onto water either. The Phantom doesn't care what's under it - it only knows the air.
Water flying is at least as safe as over land - and there are no trees to snag your bird either.

Attachments

• npp_panorama_3b.jpg
    npp_panorama_3b.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 421
Meta4 said:
mickey78 said:
Indeed water for the first time must be somethin!!!
Once you get used to your Phantom not falling from the sky onto hard land you understand that it isn't going to fall onto water either. The Phantom doesn't care what's under it - it only knows the air.
Water flying is at least as safe as over land - and there are no trees to snag your bird either.

I assume the air over water is pretty smooth. But what about the transition between water and land. Isn't the air warmer over land? Isn't there going to be some turbulence when you come upon land from the water or vice versa?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31