Are you allowed to fly a drone on Disney Property?

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Disney has been deemed a no fly zone by the FAA which makes sense. The FAA classifies it as "national defense airspace." The TFR includes the Magic Kingdom, parts of Epcot, and several nearby hotels. In October 2014, Disney's TFR was updated to specifically prohibit "unmanned and remote controlled aircraft." Violators who intentionally enter the restricted airspace can be fined and sentenced to prison for up to a year. I wouldn't risk it myself.

News Story - Unauthorized drone flies over Disney, Universal

Have a look at this link - Know Before You Fly

Enjoy your new quad and fly safe!

No- all of Disney property is a no fly zone from what I understand... and Disney security is always present.

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Disney has been deemed a no fly zone by the FAA which makes sense. The FAA classifies it as "national defense airspace." The TFR includes the Magic Kingdom, parts of Epcot, and several nearby hotels. In October 2014, Disney's TFR was updated to specifically prohibit "unmanned and remote controlled aircraft." Violators who intentionally enter the restricted airspace can be fined and sentenced to prison for up to a year. I wouldn't risk it myself.

News Story - Unauthorized drone flies over Disney, Universal

Have a look at this link - Know Before You Fly

Enjoy your new quad and fly safe!
There is something just wrong about Disneyland being 'National Defense Airspace'. I understand the thinking, but it's just an ironic reflection of the world today. I don't think Walt would have ever envisioned this....

There is something just wrong about Disneyland being 'National Defense Airspace'. I understand the thinking, but it's just an ironic reflection of the world today. I don't think Walt would have ever envisioned this....

Disney lobbied Congress for decades to get a flight restriction over their parks in CA and FL. They didn't like the banner towing operations. I'm sure some congresscritter finally got their pockets lined enough to implement the Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR), that ironically enough has an ending date of "permanent," into one of their spending bills.

Those TFRs were included in a congressional mandate, giving the FAA no choice but to implement it. I don't know of any other company that has their own TFR. Fortunately, there's been some talk of reversing the congressional mandate and I don't believe the FAA has intended to keep the TFR if it is revoked.

Unfortunately, until that TFR is lifted, there's a TFR in effect that prohibits all flight operations (including our quads/drones) within a 3NM radius of the center of the park and below 3,000 ft. AGL.

4/3634 NOTAM Details

Disney lobbied Congress for decades to get a flight restriction over their parks in CA and FL. They didn't like the banner towing operations. I'm sure some congresscritter finally got their pockets lined enough to implement the Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR), that ironically enough has an ending date of "permanent," into one of their spending bills.

Those TFRs were included in a congressional mandate, giving the FAA no choice but to implement it. I don't know of any other company that has their own TFR. Fortunately, there's been some talk of reversing the congressional mandate and I don't believe the FAA has intended to keep the TFR if it is revoked.

Unfortunately, until that TFR is lifted, there's a TFR in effect that prohibits all flight operations (including our quads/drones) within a 3NM radius of the center of the park and below 3,000 ft. AGL.

4/3634 NOTAM Details
Ah interesting. That's even more ironic since Disney has all manner of things flying / exploding / running about and in general trying to grab the eyeballs of the patrons. I guess they don't like competition.

There is an interesting thing with that happening right now. Disney wants to fly it's own UAV's inside the property so it would be within the FAA TFR. If this is allowed it is not fair to all others and they would be getting 'special treatment'. Take a look at Peter Sachs Tweet - Peter Sachs, Esq. on Twitter

Doesn't surprise me. Disney wants special treatment on pretty much anything they can get away with.

There is an interesting thing with that happening right now. Disney wants to fly it's own UAV's inside the property so it would be within the FAA TFR. If this is allowed it is not fair to all others and they would be getting 'special treatment'. Take a look at Peter Sachs Tweet - Peter Sachs, Esq. on Twitter

All TFRs typically have exceptions. Aerial firefighting TFRs obviously allow firefighting aircraft. VIP TFRs typically allow air carriers and GA aircraft on flight plans and with special security requirements. Disaster TFRs typically allow relief aircraft. Etc. etc.

Not really surprising or out of the realm of possibility that Disney would petition to use their own aircraft within a TFR built for them.

I just hope one day Congress repeals the Disney TFR mandate. Giving special treatment to corporations regarding national airspace is outrageous, IMO.

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I spoke with Disney today. We are staying at Saratoga Springs which is outside of the TFR. Talked with 3 employees; concierge, manager and security. The first two couldn't produce anything in writing. Security said they would ask you to stop. I asked where anything was written. He said they had a policy that wasn't online for the public to see. Basically it's private property and they can do whatever. I said they should put that online, but he acted like he was put out talking with me. They do have specific rules about the theme parks themselves but not about resort properties. Kinda aggravating, and I don't know if they were being honest or simply shutting me down.

Ah interesting. That's even more ironic since Disney has all manner of things flying / exploding / running about and in general trying to grab the eyeballs of the patrons. I guess they don't like competition.
Understandable, and proper, IMO.

Disney foots the bill that attracts those people there. I totally agree with Disney's desire, and right, to "own" that value they create with their labor and resources. It's not that no one else can advantage themselves of it, but Disney has a proper right to say who. They do give permission for overflights for a variety of reasons, they might for this amateur drone flight if asked.

Second, and this one is closer to my personal feelings, the patrons have a right too to go enjoy their time at the park, which ain't cheap, without being exploited as a captive audience for other's purposes. That's not what they went there and paid their money for.

There simply is no reasonable, civil argument for demanding the right to buzz around their property because it would be fun for us. Drone owners are welcome to construct their own amusement park and try to attract non-drone patrons while dozens of drone buzz them all day long trying to have a good time with their kids (and it would be dozens or more, because everyone that wanted to fly a drone over an amusement park would go there).

Disney does not control the airspace above their property. The NFZ was put into place at Disneys request by the FAA (odd a corporation gets its own NFZ by request). If you are outside the NFZ and are prepared to lift off and land outside of their property, you could fly over the unrestricted areas. I would caution you that Orlando has new rules concerning drone flights (also qustionable) that may phohibit the flight without a $20 permit.
All that said, I would weigh my options carefully before deciding to fly.

Back in the days before 9/11 you could (and I did) fly over Disneyland with no issue - simple Part 91 rules applied (minimum safe altitude and 1,000' above highest object in a congested area, which virtually all of SoCal is charted as). Post 9/11 it has been restricted via a permanent TFR because it represents the exact sort of soft target a nutcase Muslim terrorist would try to attack.

I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of quick response surface-to-air defenses around that area as well for dealing with errant aircraft (sort of like the ones around the WH I won't confirm or deny the presence of either).

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Disney's drone show is unparallelled

Reactions: PhantomFourPro
Disney does not control the airspace above their property. The NFZ was put into place at Disneys request by the FAA (odd a corporation gets its own NFZ by request). If you are outside the NFZ and are prepared to lift off and land outside of their property, you could fly over the unrestricted areas. I would caution you that Orlando has new rules concerning drone flights (also qustionable) that may phohibit the flight without a $20 permit.
All that said, I would weigh my options carefully before deciding to fly.

Do you want to try your luck with Disney Lawyers????????

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I have no issues with them owning their airspace. You want to see what Disney offers? Then buy a ticket....they are in the business of visual entertainment. They reserve the right to protect their ip.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj