Are you a member of AMA and why?

sbarton said:
I just got into flying drones, but my brother has been flying helicopters for years and told me I should join the Academy of Model Aeronitics. Any of you guys a member of AMA and why or why not? Wondering if I should join.
Thanks.

-Scott

The insurance is a good enough reason for me :)

However - if you ever want to fly with or join a club - you also need the membership.

The idea of crashing into someone or something without insurance spooked me, so I joined for the insurance.

A lot of the stuff I see in videos here is not allowed by AMA rules. Flying out of VLOS, flying near/over homes, people, cars, etc., flying over 400' height. Not having a AMA spotter when flying FPV, not filming anyone or any premise without permission, etc. A lot of this stuff is a little unreasonable for Phantom Pilots, IMO. Would you actually be covered if you crashed and weren't following the strict AMA rules?
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/570.pdf

-Scott

How about the fact that they are currently filing lawsuits on the behalf of hobby fliers to keep FAA from trying to regulate us. That should be enough reason for joining.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
sbarton said:
A lot of the stuff I see in videos here is not allowed by AMA rules. Flying out of VLOS, flying near/over homes, people, cars, etc., flying over 400' height. Not having a AMA spotter when flying FPV, not filming anyone or any premise without permission, etc. A lot of this stuff is a little unreasonable for Phantom Pilots, IMO. Would you actually be covered if you crashed and weren't following the strict AMA rules?

-Scott

Probably not - but then again you might have an accident that would be covered :)

I think the insurance is one reason, flying at clubs is another... and someone else mentioned (which I hadn't though of) our dues help pay for a certain amount of legal/lobbying from the AMA on our behalf.

sbarton said:

-Scott

Just to clarify, the AMA Safety Code does NOT restrict flying over any particular altitude. It DOES require that you contact an airport operator if you intend to fly over 400 feet agl within 3 miles of an airport.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Damon said:
How about the fact that they are currently filing lawsuits on the behalf of hobby fliers to keep FAA from trying to regulate us. That should be enough reason for joining.

This reason alone is why every drone pilot should join in my opinion. I've been a member for years, since I started with fixed wings.

I was a member for years since the mid 70's. Dropped my membership when I started flying homebuilt and factory built airplanes. I just re-joined when I bought my Phantom. Mainly for their lobbying efforts. I continue my membership in AOPA for the same reason even though I'm not flying the big stuff anymore. I think the investment is minimal to keep up with what is going on and the added benefit is the insurance which may or may not help protect me if I crash into something or somebody. I pretty much try to follow the AMA guidelines anyway.

Be sure and post in the correct area. I moved this from 'News' for you. ;)

I am troubled by the following:

Membership Information
Insurance coverage is effective on the date of receipt at AMA Headquarters of a properly completed application and correct dues payment. Membership ends each year on December 31, regardless of the date a member application is received. Applications received after September 15 will be valid for the remainder of that year and all of the following year. If a magazine subscription is included with the membership, it begins with the first issue available immediately following the receipt of a correct current application and payment. The magazine subscription expires with the issue printed in December (which is dated January of the following year). Membership rates and insurance limits are those in effect at the time of printing. Actual cost of dues and amount of insurance coverage are subject to change. Any such changes will be noted at the time of membership processing so that they may be accepted or not.

As you can see if you where to join today, October 26, 2014 your membership would expire on December 31, 2014 effectively giving you only 64 days of membership for $58.00 close to $1.00 per day. I did not read that when I joined. It seems to be a "greedy" thing for them to do. What do you all think?

Wedeliver said:
As you can see if you where to join today, October 26, 2014 your membership would expire on December 31, 2014 effectively giving you only 64 days of membership for $58.00 close to $1.00 per day. I did not read that when I joined. It seems to be a "greedy" thing for them to do. What do you all think?

Did you miss this:

Applications received after September 15 will be valid for the remainder of that year and all of the following year.

You will be a member from today until December 31, 2015. BTW - that works out to about 13 cents a day!!

Damon said:
No, they sued the FAA to stop the them from cancelling AC 91-57, which forms the framework for the AMA rules. It would take an act of Congress to regulate the hobby flyers because Congress expressly forbid the FAA from promulgating any rules on hobby model aircraft. I am not sure what the FAA was thinking (the FAA has since backtracked, saying it was a mistake). Initially I was surprised to see the AMA joining this lawsuit since the AMA is historically hostile to drones and particularly hostile to FPV flight, but cancelling AC 91.57 could be a back-door attempt to regulate all hobby flight - Aircraft, helicopters and multi-rotors.

AMA Response:
(8.) It is an attempt to circumvent the protection Congress provided for aermodeling in the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012. The interpretive rule does this while clearly recognizing a section of the law which reads “Section 336 (of the act) also prohibits the FAA from promulgating) “any new rule or regulation regarding model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft ...” if certain requirements are met. There are several examples of the FAA creating new rule in the interpretation.

AC 91-57 Cancelled in Error:
http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/2014/10/14/ac-91-57-cancelled-in-error/

FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012:
Section 607(g)
…exempts most model airplanes used for recreational or academic use from any UAS regulations established by the FAA

The AMA is suing the FAA over the FAA interpretation issued June 2014 of Section 336 of the FMRA. AMA recognizes that AC 91-57 is obsolete and conflicts with Section 336 and they will no doubt revise their rules to reflect that. The cancelation of AC 91-57 is not the basis of the AMA suit.

SilentAV8R said:
Wedeliver said:

Did you miss this:

Applications received after September 15 will be valid for the remainder of that year and all of the following year.

You will be a member from today until December 31, 2015. BTW - that works out to about 13 cents a day!!

Thank you. Yes I did not see that. That is a good thing but I bought my membership either July or August. And to tell the truth the "money" itself is not the issue for me. I can afford it. But there are others out there who this could be a harder thing to swallow. But, I do feel the immense need for the AMA and how they work on my and our behalf, so I do not want to rock any boats or even complain very loud. So, I just think there could be a better way. The September cutoff is nice, but it still means that someone who joins in August loses out on 8 months of membership..

Ok, I am done. Thank you AMA for all you do. I am fine and I will be renewing soon but at least I got this off my chest!

Craig

AMA insurance only covers you when you are flying within AMA sanctioned facilities ... fields, events, etc. As such, it won't be of much value outside in the real world. You may think otherwise, and I hope you both enjoy the pride of supporting their program, and never feel the disappointment of actually needing the coverage, only to discover that you aren't.

DrD said:
AMA insurance only covers you when you are flying within AMA sanctioned facilities ... fields, events, etc. As such, it won't be of much value outside in the real world. You may think otherwise, and I hope you both enjoy the pride of supporting their program, and never feel the disappointment of actually needing the coverage, only to discover that you aren't.

The insurance is not my big worry. But I think we do need folks on our side who lobby Washington and help us with state, county and local laws that could restrict our freedom to fly. I can see in the near future expensive restrictions being used as a tax on us folks who like to fly hobby aircraft.

DrD said:
AMA insurance only covers you when you are flying within AMA sanctioned facilities ... fields, events, etc.

Sorry, this is incorrect. The AMA insurance covers you anywhere anytime as long as you are following the safety code. In addition, there is no such thing as an "AMA sanctioned facility." AMA does not review, authorize, sanction or in any way officially recognize any flying site.

Safety Code:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

Insurance Summary:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/Insu ... embers.pdf

SilentAV8R said:
DrD said:
AMA insurance only covers you when you are flying within AMA sanctioned facilities ... fields, events, etc.

Sorry, this is incorrect. The AMA insurance covers you anywhere anytime as long as you are following the safety code. In addition, there is no such thing as an "AMA sanctioned facility." AMA does not review, authorize, sanction or in any way officially recognize any flying site.

Safety Code:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

Insurance Summary:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/Insu ... embers.pdf

Thank you,

I had just found the AMA insurance pdf. and was coming back here and you already supplied the link. I don't see any conditions about where you fly, just has to be in the US and not for money. I think the AMA rocks and I love the magazine. It is the only Magazine I read, no more life or time, or playboy etc..

Now as far as sanctioning goes what does this refer to? http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/302.pdf and what is a "Charted Club"

Application For Event Sanction
Please read instructions and fill ALL sections out completely
A minimum of 30 days is required to process sanction applications.
Sanction applications and sanction fee payment (payable to AMA) are to
be mailed to the District Contest Coordinator for the district in which the
event will take place. A current listing of all Contest coordinators may be
found on the AMA website "http://www.modelaircraft.org/events/
contestcoordinators.aspx" . Application for class “D” events, FAI and
National Record attempts are to be sent directly to AMA . Sanctions will be
issued for the classification indicated provided the event is in compliance
with the rules found in the Sanctioning Section of the current Competition
Regulations and/or Membership Manual. AMA HQ reserves the right to
change the classification to the appropriate classification as necessary.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj