Are these ND filters good?

Reaction score
Im looking into buying some ND filters I know from reading different posts on this forum polarpro and taco rc are highly recommended but i have found some from phantomfilters.com which have all the filters i want mainly ND8 and ND16 for a very good price has anyone got these or have any general info on whether they are decent?

Im looking into buying some ND filters I know from reading different posts on this forum polarpro and taco rc are highly recommended but i have found some from phantomfilters.com which have all the filters i want mainly ND8 and ND16 for a very good price has anyone got these or have any general info on whether they are decent?
I have them and they are pretty good, here is an example:
Having an ND filter is the only way to reduce the shutter speed and film smoothly at 25FPS, but it does take away some of the detail in the image. Here is another example:

ELHEAPO, the Phantom Filters will do the trick, but they are going to be more difficult to handle and clean since they are so thin. Glass filters like the DJI, Polar Pro, SRP, and TACO-RC are easier to install, handle, and clean. They will be more durable too since they are made of glass. Whatever filters you choose, make sure you get at least an ND8 and ND16. You'll also want an ND4 if you shoot video early in the morning or late in the day when the sun is setting.

You can find a list of all commonly used Phantom 3 lens filters here.

To the right of the listed lens filters, you'll see some links to videos/discussions that talk more about some of those filters. It'll give you a better idea of what people think about them.

Here are some of my thoughts on the other lens filters:

SRP: I have a few of these. The quality of the lenses is excellent and the resulting videos. They are a bit tough to slide on and off the camera though.

DJI & TACO-RC: Both weigh the same as the stock DJI UV filter. That means no extra stress will be placed on your gimbal. I'm not sure how important the extra weight of the other filters is since nobody ever complained that their gimbal was damaged to the extra weight. But, it's a point to consider.

Polar Pro: Many people use these -- I'm assuming this is partly the case since they were one of the first to release filters. The reviews are generally favorable. If you decide to buy them, get the 6-pack instead of the 3-pack. The 3-pack doesn't contain all of the filters you'll need, so you'll end up getting the 6-pack later anyhow -- or buying the extra filters you need elsewhere.

Last edited:
I have the Phantom and just ordered the Taco multi coated. The first Phantom I tried to use was already scratched and has a crease in it.

. You'll also want an ND4 if you shoot video early in the morning or late in the day when the sun is setting.

Can you please elaborate on this?
I just purchased a set that starts at ND8, thinking that the ND4 was not enough helpful.
Would you get more mileage of an ND64 at the other extreme range?

Reactions: movius
Hi, when you say "basic colour correction" what exactly does that mean, is that shooting the video and then putting the video into some software to play about with the colours

I just purchased a set that starts at ND8, thinking that the ND4 was not enough helpful.
For most people, an ND8 or ND16 will work best in normal daylight conditions. An ND4 is good to have on hand when flying in low light conditions -- like in the morning or evening. So far, I haven't had to use anything outside of those three. I'd get an ND4 before an ND64.

Reactions: Foosy
Thanks for all your thoughts very helpful I was under the impression ND8 was for low light as I shoot quite a lot at first light is it the ND4 I need then?

Reactions: Bigdz
I would have an ND4 and ND8 on hand for first light. It would be a shame to get to a good spot and find out you don't have the right filter for the lighting conditions that day.

Hi, when you say "basic colour correction" what exactly does that mean, is that shooting the video and then putting the video into some software to play about with the colours
Exactly, shooting in LOG mode and just bringing back the contrast, saturation and sharpness plus some vibrance perhaps.

Reactions: AlmostTan

I see you live in Blighted - so no use for anything over 16nd imo as I lived there for 37yrs

These 2 pics were taken with a 32nd taco filter - I know the filters are used mainly for video but I think they really help in pics, just my 2cents - both pics were taken around midday in very bright sunlight
DJI_0015.JPG
DJI_0043.JPG

Last edited:
I see you live in Blighted - so no use for anything over 16nd imo as I lived there for 37yrs

These 2 pics were taken with a 32nd taco filter - I know the filters are used mainly for video but I think they really help in pics, just my 2cents - both pics were taken around midday in very bright sunlight View attachment 29182 View attachment 29183
Wow sod the filters i wanna live where you do. What i actally need is a filter to help the grey miserable days here in england look sunny is there such a filter lol!!

For some reason the Taco rc filters all seemed to be sold out everywhere, have they stopped making them? or is it just a stock issue as they are so popular?

Wow sod the filters i wanna live where you do. What i actally need is a filter to help the grey miserable days here in england look sunny is there such a filter lol!!

Haha - that was a 4000km round rd trip to the Whitsundays, northern Queensland. It was -2 last night here in Canberra, bright sunny days with summer around the corner:)

The tacos are popular & good value for money

For most people, an ND8 or ND16 will work best in normal daylight conditions. An ND4 is good to have on hand when flying in low light conditions -- like in the morning or evening. So far, I haven't had to use anything outside of those three. I'd get an ND4 before an ND64.

I
I would have an ND4 and ND8 on hand for first light. It would be a shame to get to a good spot and find out you don't have the right filter for the lighting conditions that day.
I'm going to agree with that but... I really think it depends on where you live. If you live in an area where it is extremely bright like AZ and NM that ND4 is useful for a bout 10 minutes of each day. I usually start with the 16 mid day it's 32. Of course it does matter what framerate you are shooting in... If you are shooting 60 FPS that reduces the need for a filter.

Haha - that was a 4000km round rd trip to the Whitsundays, northern Queensland. It was -2 last night here in Canberra, bright sunny days with summer around the corner:)

The tacos are popular & good value for money
That is what I have. I bought them because the are the same weight as the phantom's original cover and the price point was right. Polar Pro look very good too but I settled on these and have been very happy with them.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik