Are So California beaches ok for quads?

Reaction score
Just curious if there any restrictions for flying at Southern California beaches? I know there are a lot of cities and would be curious which ones are drone friendly for beach flying. Also any other rules to know about down there? Thank

Every city has their own laws and many are just ridiculous. When I was prepping for a court case against the City of Laguna Beach I researched and found you can only have a max 6' umbrella for shade, cannot fly a kite, dig a hole in the sand, or even throw a football on the beach. If there isn't one yet as soon as a beachfront resident sees one and complains the laws will follow. I am planning on filming Newport down to Dana Point as soon as I am confident to fly over water. Did my first flight yesterday. :D

usaken said:
Just curious if there any restrictions for flying at Southern California beaches? I know there are a lot of cities and would be curious which ones are drone friendly for beach flying. Also any other rules to know about down there? Thank

Yes, there are rules:
- be CAREFUL
- be courteous
- Don't fly close to people
- Don't invade anyone's privacy
- Don't hurt anyone
- Don't harass any wildlife
- Don't be stupid
- Don't be aggressive or rude to anyone who asks "What are you doing?"
- Don't argue with any police
- Be CAREFUL
- Keep the thing in your visual range at all times
- Don't fly in any way that could even possibly interfere with other aircraft
- Respect other people's right to have a misguided notion of what UAVs are.
- Don't crash
- Don't use the beaches as a place to learn to fly unless there is no one around

have fun!

doug86 said:
usaken said:

Yes, there are rules:
- be CAREFUL
- be courteous
- Don't hurt anyone
- Don't be stupid
- Be CAREFUL
- Don't crash
- Don't use the beaches as a place to learn to fly unless there is no one around

have fun!

I often fly at the beach and have not had been hassled by anyone. If anything, I've been met with curious optimism. No one has ever approached me in a rude manner. I also often fly at the skate park and everyone has been very receptive. I make sure I announce what I'm doing so that I don't have anyone get upset. Follow the points above and you should be good.

doug86 said:
usaken said:

Yes, there are rules:
- be CAREFUL
- be courteous
- Don't hurt anyone
- Don't be stupid
- Be CAREFUL
- Don't crash

have fun!

This sounds more like how one should live one's life in general however if those are your guidlines for weather or not your following someones rules about flying your gonna be in trouble.

Most municipal establishments are now coming up with thier own rules and it's the responsibility of the pilot to find out prior to flying and being run off and or cited.

Most beaches in SoCal have not finalized rules just yet but Santa Monica and Malibu have been discussing this for over a year now and still have come up with any kind of general concensus all representatives can sign off on.

The city of Bevery Hills pretty much has a "No Tolerance" policy for drones on "City Property" but they could care less if flown off city property.

The City of El Segundo some of the cops think a Phantom is illegal and other cops there ask if they can fly it. lol
This city has a higher number of cops who never made the NFL so beware as the testosterone levels are alot higher than some of your other SoCal beach communities.

I agree with the advice list. I try and be very friendly with folks and have had no problems from civilians. Here in the San Francisco area, most all the beaches from San Francisco's Ocean Beach all the way to Point Reyes are under the control of the National Park Service. They are effectly, no fly zones. Bummer. The Rangers and NPP are nice about it, but they will tell you not to fly there. I'm going down to the LA area in August and hope to take my PV for some beach/surf flights

PhantomPhreak said:
Every city has their own laws and many are just ridiculous. When I was prepping for a court case against the City of Laguna Beach I researched and found you can only have a max 6' umbrella for shade, cannot fly a kite, dig a hole in the sand, or even throw a football on the beach. If there isn't one yet as soon as a beachfront resident sees one and complains the laws will follow. I am planning on filming Newport down to Dana Point as soon as I am confident to fly over water. Did my first flight yesterday. :D
Excuse me, did you say Dana Point and Laguna beach? :D

When the video is done, I cut out about 10 second sample. I have a GIF converter program that converts the short video to gif. There are at least a dozen of them in the market. When the gif file is ready It has to be uploaded to a web site for the link to work.

Like ChimayMan recommended if you click on the quote you will see the link to the gif file and the link to the youtube video.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl