Are paragliders regulated like drones?

Reaction score
These powered paragliders are heavy, and gasoline powered with a dangerous rotating propeller strapped on a mans back and can fly as high as any drone. Am I correct in thinking that they need not be registered with the FAA, there is no licensing or training required? Yet there is public paranoia about my little plastic drone that weighs about 15 pounds!

These powered paragliders are heavy, and gasoline powered with a dangerous rotating propeller strapped on a mans back and can fly as high as any drone. Am I correct in thinking that they need not be registered with the FAA, there is no licensing or training required? Yet there is public paranoia about my little plastic drone that weighs about 15 pounds!

You piqued my interest and since no one has chimed in I found this if you're still curious:

Federal Aviation Regulations for Paramotors - The United States Powered Paragliding Association

Yet there is public paranoia about my little plastic drone that weighs about 15 pounds!

Many Powered Paragliders fall under FAA Part 103, which also is for Ultralights. I fly those too. For them you cannot fly over congested areas, only Class G and Class E non-surface. You are typically not going to find one flying over your house, park or flown in the who-cares manor we see with some drones. The people flying them have a real risk of injuring themselves, so the ante is pretty big. While formal training is not FAA required, you just don't pick one up at the local super store, strap it on / get in and "go for it". Unless you want to do it only once. I would venture that 99% of the population that has seen a drone has never seen a PPG in person unless they've been to an air show..

Reactions: N017RW

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj