Are ND Filters needed with Phantom 4 Pro?

Reaction score
I just mail-ordered a Phantom 4 Pro to replace my Phantom 3 Pro that suddenly crashed. I generally needed to use my Phantom 3 Pro with an ND 32 filter to film 4k videos in direct sunlight because it had the fixed aperture of f/2.8. The Phantom 4 Pro has an adjustable aperture up to f/11, and I'd really like to know from others experienced with it if f/11 is dark enough to film videos with a shutter speed between 1/50 to 1/100 sec without needing an ND filter?

This is an urgent question because I cannot unscrew the manufacturer's filter that came with this the drone, and I'm scheduled to film with it for the next two weeks, and I do not have time to ship it back to the manufacturer to have the filter removed. I had to do that when I bought my defunct Phantom 3 because none of the do-it-yourself filter removal techniques people recommended worked for me at all. I also know that there are no local stores or camera repair places in my area that are willing to remove this filter for me.

Thanks for any tips!

Depending on your situation and what you need to shoot yes, you may still require a lower number ND even with a smaller aperture. I can't understand why you find it impossible to remove the filter ring either, unless you're applying too much pressure on it; that's the usual reason it doesn't undo! In this case, less is more - use a rubber glove and apply a tiny amount of grip on the ring and then turn it.

Smaller aperture usually means greater depth of field, assuming exposure is balanced. That might not be the effect you're looking for

Reactions: Numone
I just mail-ordered a Phantom 4 Pro to replace my Phantom 3 Pro that suddenly crashed. I generally needed to use my Phantom 3 Pro with an ND 32 filter to film 4k videos in direct sunlight because it had the fixed aperture of f/2.8. The Phantom 4 Pro has an adjustable aperture up to f/11, and I'd really like to know from others experienced with it if f/11 is dark enough to film videos with a shutter speed between 1/50 to 1/100 sec without needing an ND filter?

This is an urgent question because I cannot unscrew the manufacturer's filter that came with this the drone, and I'm scheduled to film with it for the next two weeks, and I do not have time to ship it back to the manufacturer to have the filter removed. I had to do that when I bought my defunct Phantom 3 because none of the do-it-yourself filter removal techniques people recommended worked for me at all. I also know that there are no local stores or camera repair places in my area that are willing to remove this filter for me.

Thanks for any tips!

Hi Jennifer,

I'm glad you asked this question, because there are numerous drone pilots who have the ability to capture beautiful footage, but the end product doesn't end up looking nearly as good as it should. I have been in the video production industry for nearly 20 years, and capturing beautiful scenes often takes knowledge that the average person wouldn't have. When you are shooting in bright sunlight, your Phantom's camera will set the shutter speed to a very high setting, as I'm sure you already know. In the cinema industry, a high shutter speed is not at all desirable. Almost all "Hollywood" movies are shot at 24 frames per second which has been the industry standard for a long, long time. If you're looking to shoot video that looks cinematic, especially landscape footage, I always recommend shooting at 24 frames per second. Even if you set your aperture at f11, without ND filters, you may notice that your footage seems to flicker, giving your footage a very amateur look. This is because your shutter speed is too high, even at f11. Here's the secret to capturing "cinematic" footage: Make sure that your shutter is about double your frame rate. For example, if you're shooting at 30 FPS, you want your shutter speed to be double your FPS, so set your shutter speed to about 1/60 s. The rule of thumb is simply to set your shutter speed at double your frame rate. If you're shooting at 24 FPS, set your shutter speed to as close to 1/48 s as possible. It doesn't have to be exactly double the frame rate, but the closer the better. Without ND filters, at 1/60 s, your footage would be completely blown out. Using the ND filters allows you to limit the amount of light entering the lens, allowing you to set your shutter speed and your aperture to the appropriate setting without blowing out your footage. On a very sunny day, I often use an ND 32 filter, just as you did with your Phantom 3 Pro. If you follow the "double the FPS" rule, you will notice that your footage looks much more professional, and you'll capture just the right amount of motion blur to make your footage look very cinematic. This will also affect your depth of field, allowing you to open up your aperture to blur the background when you're filming subjects that are close to the camera. This is how it's done in the movies. This is the reason why some people can capture footage that looks like it was taken straight from a Hollywood movie, while another person's footage looks terribly unnatural and flickers, even though both people are using the exact same equipment. To sum it up, if you want good looking footage from your Phantom 4 Pro, ND filters are absolutely necessary. Try this technique, and you'll immediately notice that your footage looks so much better. If you follow this rule of thumb, your footage will look much better than other people using the same drone. I have shot scenes with my drone for actual Hollywood movies, and I've worked with some of the best camera operators in the industry. They taught me little secrets like this one that have boosted my career, allowing me to work on some incredible films and turn my drone hobby into an actual career. I have a Phantom 4 Pro as well, and the factory "filter" screws off quite easily. When I purchased my ND filters, I firmly gripped the camera and unscrewed the factory filter without much effort. Just make sure to have a firm grip on the camera, so you're not putting any pressure on the gimbal. It's designed to be taken off an replaced with other filters.
I hope you continue to have fun flying your drone, and I encourage you to learn as much as possible about videography and photography. (Even if you already know all of the fundamentals). If you expand your knowledge in the area of film making, you could capture drone footage for a living. It can be a lucrative, fun career! My advise is to purchase the ND filters as soon as possible so you can feel the sense of satisfaction that comes when you look at your footage and immediately see that it is better than the majority of other drone operators. I hope this helps out! Go get those ND filters and start filming professional looking footage!! Have fun flying, and stay safe!

Last edited:
Super Post! Thanks for the tips. I also was under the impression that the mechanical shutter and conventional camera setting (f-stop, shutter speed, ISO) allowed you to skip the filters. It appears that I was very wrong. Thanks again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan