Are drones just a passing fad? Are you bored with your 'Phantom'?

I've had my P2V for two years now. I don't go out every day to fly like I did when I first got it.

My wife and I are retired and our new 'job' is taking RV trips as often as possible. The P2V sits in its own spot in the back of our truck - all the time. I don't leave home without it. I use it to take pictures of the places we camp to show perspectives that are otherwise impossible. With the 'ancient' P2V, the videos are not that great. I enjoy them but don't bore others with them.

Sometimes when we find a place to camp, I'll launch, get some altitude, and have a look around to see what we can't see from the gound. It's helped us find some good hiking opportunities that were unseen from our campsite. It's not the trees in the way (Nevada is not known for its forests . . .), it's hills, dirt piles, dunes, and other 'deserty' stuff.

Depending on where we are (which is mostly out in the Nevada desert with no one around), if others are camped nearby, I almost always draw a 'crowd' (well, one or two people - ;)) and I enjoy explaining what Phantoms are all about. They are usually awestruck, even with my aging unit. They have no idea how far the technology has passed me by.

And, the last time I upgraded software was back when I got the Ground Station upgrade. I'm real old school. No restrictions on anything. And it works fine, for what I do anyway.

So NO, I'm not bored with my Phantom. I just don't fly as much as when it was brandy new and I was scared to death to put it into the air for the first time. :eek:

So, I've owned a drone for about 4 months now and after the first 2-3 months, I am starting to get pretty bored with flying it. I used to constantly be charging batteries in hopes of being "on the ready" to get out, but haven't plugged one in in weeks. Once I realized I maxed out the range on my P3A at 21K feet (because of battery), there's nothing left range-wise as a challenge. I hesitate to spend any more money "modding" something I'm losing interest in. P4...meh. Same thing really. What am I gonna do with it? Other than modding my first quad (P3S) and then some fun drama on here BS'ing about stuff, it's getting really boring.

If they changed the rules and made something easier than a 333 for going into business, it still wouldn't be all that fun to be honest with you-just tedious and probably not even worthwhile monetarily. A side business with little income is my guess.

These aerial photography platforms are a whole different type of thing vs. small toy quads or RC racers. It's neat be able to get 'that' shot, but the stability of it and the lack of skill required makes for a dull flight, even in Atti mode. It's often more fun to fly my Syma X5C in the street than taking out the 'Phantom.' For sure I'll be taking it on vacation and such, but there's just so many landscape/aerials shots one can stomach. The video editing is honestly more fun than getting the footage to me. Often, upon playback, what is interesting to me as pilot is really not all that interesting to others usually.

So, my question is...does anyone else think the GPS aerial photog drone thing is a passing fad or not, and are you already bored with it like me?
I understand perfectly what you've said and what you are saying. I've experienced the same effect with other things, archery for one example.

Over a period of about five years I had developed an obsessive interest learning all I could about shooting and maintaining a compound bow and developing exceptional skill, which I did. Then I suddenly lost interest in shooting. Right now there is about $3,000 worth of prime equipment gathering dust in the attic and I have absolutely no interest in shooting.

I wonder if becoming so intensely involved with an activity will eventually cause a burnout. I notice you've said you always had batteries on charge and were concerned with being "on the ready." Do you think that's what brought about your loss of interest?

I understand perfectly what you've said and what you are saying. I've experienced the same effect with other things, archery for one example.

Over a period of about five years I had developed an obsessive interest learning all I could about shooting and maintaining a compound bow and developing exceptional skill, which I did. Then I suddenly lost interest in shooting. Right now there is about $3,000 worth of prime equipment gathering dust in the attic and I have absolutely no interest in shooting.

I wonder if becoming so intensely involved with an activity will eventually cause a burnout. I notice you've said you always had batteries on charge and were concerned with being "on the ready." Do you think that's what brought about your loss of interest?
Ya...it kind of became an obsession to get up in the air daily at first. Now, I'm just...meh. Before, I would actively think of places to shoot video-now it's like I have to weigh whether it's worth my time and effort to even drive 5-10 minutes. Weird huh? Oh well, like I said, we have a couple of cool things at work coming up which I may able to use it for.

I've been thinking about this...it's just that it's so EASY to fly that it makes the actual flight part not as fun. There is little challenge in getting it up and moving about-sure planning shots, but the physical part, no. If I equate it to guitar playing for instance-it's totally different, there are so many songs and styles to master, tones, effects...it's endless trying to get better. It just FEELS like I've figured out most of this craft even if I haven't.

You bring up a good point with me as well. I'm not a photographer and photography is nowhere on my radar for anything other than capturing a moment or event. So I'm not willing to drive "X" amount of time to some location cause I think I could get a "good shot".

But that is something I knew would be the case before I got my Quad. The purpose/point of getting my quad was to capture some great scenery when riding my motorcycle in the Rockies. I'd often stop and take a picture. I'd think how cool it would be if I could get that picture of this angle, but I no way to do it. So the Quad is exactly the ticket to get that shot of us standing on a shelf road with a 300' drop...

I bought an aluminum top case to take my P3 with me. Which is what I did last weekend and found a spot that looked good for some pics and to take a break...

So up until last weekend my P3A sat for about 2 weeks...

Ya...it kind of became an obsession to get up in the air daily at first. Now, I'm just...meh. Before, I would actively think of places to shoot video-now it's like I have to weigh whether it's worth my time and effort to even drive 5-10 minutes. Weird huh? Oh well, like I said, we have a couple of cool things at work coming up which I may able to use it for.

I've been thinking about this...it's just that it's so EASY to fly that it makes the actual flight part not as fun. There is little challenge in getting it up and moving about-sure planning shots, but the physical part, no. If I equate it to guitar playing for instance-it's totally different, there are so many songs and styles to master, tones, effects...it's endless trying to get better. It just FEELS like I've figured out most of this craft even if I haven't.

For me, it's half about flying, and half about the technology. I started with RC craft by building my own from paper plans, balsa wood, servos, etc, before cell phones even existed.. Talk about tedium! Things have come along way, with computers on board, cell phone / tablet control, etc. I do a bit of flying (P3S, P3A), but spend a lot of my time taking them apart, repairing and modding them, and thinking about what the future holds for this hobby. I am a mechanical engineer, a licensed amateur radio operator, and a professional photographer, so you can see how this "hobby" ties it all together for me.

I think the cheap toy drones are just a fad, and people will tire of them, when they see the crappy video quality, and the short flight times and short range. And if they bought them with the intent of seeing nekkid neighbors they'll be disappointed. But enthusiasts will continue to fly the more serious drones because they can actually do things.

I get what your saying. I'm bored of flying in my neighborhood for sure. Hardly ever do it anymore. I try and take it somewhere new, I think that is the key to having fun with it. Granted the wow factor isn't there anymore. It's just like any hobby. I've been riding quads for 25 years and it's not as exciting as it once was but now I get to watch my kids have fun doing it so that opens up a whole different fun factor. Drones are still cool as ****, and I love the Technology behind it. And even if I don't fly as often as I once did when it was new I'll never get rid of it and will likely buy another cause they are just that cool[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

So, I've owned a drone for about 4 months now and after the first 2-3 months, I am starting to get pretty bored with flying it. I used to constantly be charging batteries in hopes of being "on the ready" to get out, but haven't plugged one in in weeks. Once I realized I maxed out the range on my P3A at 21K feet (because of battery), there's nothing left range-wise as a challenge. I hesitate to spend any more money "modding" something I'm losing interest in. P4...meh. Same thing really. What am I gonna do with it? Other than modding my first quad (P3S) and then some fun drama on here BS'ing about stuff, it's getting really boring.

If they changed the rules and made something easier than a 333 for going into business, it still wouldn't be all that fun to be honest with you-just tedious and probably not even worthwhile monetarily. A side business with little income is my guess.

These aerial photography platforms are a whole different type of thing vs. small toy quads or RC racers. It's neat be able to get 'that' shot, but the stability of it and the lack of skill required makes for a dull flight, even in Atti mode. It's often more fun to fly my Syma X5C in the street than taking out the 'Phantom.' For sure I'll be taking it on vacation and such, but there's just so many landscape/aerials shots one can stomach. The video editing is honestly more fun than getting the footage to me. Often, upon playback, what is interesting to me as pilot is really not all that interesting to others usually.

So, my question is...does anyone else think the GPS aerial photog drone thing is a passing fad or not, and are you already bored with it like me?
I used to fly RC helicopters and it really required a lot of skill and time to learn. I used to fly one of several almost daily right out of my garage and peruse the neighborhood, and the neighbors all thought it was "cool". It was electric also, so no noise problem.... The first time I saw a quad demo at local hobby shop, the salesman put it into the sky about 100 feet, then turned his back on it and was talking to me. It was awesome!
If you look away for even a couple of seconds while flying a helicopter, then look back at it, it will be on it's way flying one direction or other. You have to keep it balanced constantly with control inputs. Also, if you have to "think" on a correction, it will more than likely crash into something before you can recover. It had to be a learned instant reaction to input constant corrections.
So... I was so amazed with the quad demo, I bought one on the spot (Blade 350QX), and later bought a Phantom Professional. Alas as noted, it was fun taking movies of the neighborhood etc. but then after a few months, to me, just not much of a challenge. I did a few cool videos with music and effects during that time and that was fun also. I really have more fun flying my SY X25 Flying Quad Car these days as it is a little squirley at times, but just a kick to be scooting along in the street in "car" mode and then just shoot up into the air and it's flying down the street. Just my opinion.... I am interested in selling my Phantom and will probably put it on Ebay soon....

Strap some goggles on and get some FPV in ;)
Didn't mention that, but "been there done that" with the helicopters and the Quad also.
It was okay, but single vision (Tunnel vision) was kind of a let down. You have no real depth perception and as an example, looking down and dropping the quad, you can't perceive hardly any changes/movement. The only real input you have is your screen altimeter..... Not really what you would expect for the price.
I did the controller mod to the Phantom Professional so I could use the goggles and again, first time was "new", but it was not the expected experience for the total added cost. I looked all over the net for better goggles etc. but nothing that really made it worth it....

I used to fly RC helicopters and it really required a lot of skill and time to learn. I used to fly one of several almost daily right out of my garage and peruse the neighborhood, and the neighbors all thought it was "cool". It was electric also, so no noise problem.... The first time I saw a quad demo at local hobby shop, the salesman put it into the sky about 100 feet, then turned his back on it and was talking to me. It was awesome!
If you look away for even a couple of seconds while flying a helicopter, then look back at it, it will be on it's way flying one direction or other. You have to keep it balanced constantly with control inputs. Also, if you have to "think" on a correction, it will more than likely crash into something before you can recover. It had to be a learned instant reaction to input constant corrections.
So... I was so amazed with the quad demo, I bought one on the spot (Blade 350QX), and later bought a Phantom Professional. Alas as noted, it was fun taking movies of the neighborhood etc. but then after a few months, to me, just not much of a challenge. I did a few cool videos with music and effects during that time and that was fun also. I really have more fun flying my SY X25 Flying Quad Car these days as it is a little squirley at times, but just a kick to be scooting along in the street in "car" mode and then just shoot up into the air and it's flying down the street. Just my opinion.... I am interested in selling my Phantom and will probably put it on Ebay soon....

If the automation is taken away all the challenge then turn it off. The other day I spend my time flying only in ATTI mode. Add some 10 to 15 mph wind and your set for a good challenge. Landing in these conditions becomes fun and rewarding.

Tried some helicopters in a good sim before, and I have respect for the pilots that can master all that's going on with those birds.

Last edited:
Didn't mention that, but "been there done that" with the helicopters and the Quad also.
It was okay, but single vision (Tunnel vision) was kind of a let down. You have no real depth perception and as an example, looking down and dropping the quad, you can't perceive hardly any changes/movement. The only real input you have is your screen altimeter..... Not really what you would expect for the price.
I did the controller mod to the Phantom Professional so I could use the goggles and again, first time was "new", but it was not the expected experience for the total added cost. I looked all over the net for better goggles etc. but nothing that really made it worth it....

Not sure what goggles you used but ive used FatSharks for years, currently using the Attitudes, i can fly thru gaps in trees hundreds of meters away, im well aware of what i fly over and whats inbetween my drone and myself, i very rarely look at the telemetry tbh and its never went into failsafe yet, i see all movement i make, looking down i could lower it thru gaps in a woods and even land it, nothing else quite compares to this kind of flying, watch my Cruising and Threading the Needle vid. :)

Last edited:
Not sure what goggles you used but ive used FatSharks for years, currently using the Attitudes, i can fly thru gaps in trees hundreds of meters away, im well aware of what i fly over and whats inbetween my drone and myself, i very rarely look at the telemetry tbh and its never went into failsafe yet, i see all movement i make, looking down i could lower it thru gaps in a woods and even land it, nothing else quite compares to this kind of flying, watch my Cruising and Threading the Needle vid. :)
Would like to see the vid. Have a link?

Sent from my XT1096 using PhantomPilots mobile app

If the automation is taken away all the challenge then turn it off. The other day I spend my time flying only in ATTI mode. Add some 10 to 15 mph wind and your set for a good challenge. Landing in these conditions becomes fun and rewarding.

Tried some helicopters in a good sim before, and I have respect for the pilots that can master all that's going on with those birds.
Thanks for the response, yes helicopters take time to master. Lots of broken machines before 0you can even hover one in any wind....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20