Are autonomous waypoint missions the better choice for long distance flights?

Reaction score
Waypoint missions using 3rd party apps like Litchi seem to be a pretty popular option for some of us on here.

My question is, when flying long distance missions is it safer and more reliable to pre-program a mission rather than maintaining control of the aircraft?

My question is, when flying long distance missions is it safer and more reliable to pre-program a mission rather than maintaining control of the aircraft?

Indeed. It helps achieve the objective without risk of RTH interrupting due to some temporary connection disruptions.. and, if the P3 "disappears off radar", you already know the exact flight plan...

It's one of the many reasons I like to use Litchi so much!

Just make sure the altittude is set high enough. If you're flying it you can bump it up a few meters if that tree looks close. If its flying itself it's a gonner if its too close and you're not paying attention.

Waypoint missions using 3rd party apps like Litchi seem to be a pretty popular option for some of us on here.

IMHO, usually, yes.

If you're flying for fun... Maybe not. But to get a specific shot, assuming you plan well, the computer often flies better. Especially at the edge of control range.

There's a reason most commercial aircraft (and ships and trains) are largely operated on autopilot...

It's definitely a more advanced thing to do, and again, proper planning is key, but it does work well. You can't avoid real time obstacles, so best to do full autonomous flight only in places & at altitudes with low chance of collision.

While not without risks, it absolutely is the best way to get those shots that might normally initiate a rth. As long as you meticulously do your homework and don't rush your mission planning its a great way to explore an area.

I like it because I can fly longer distances at lower heights and not worry about the bird when the signal cuts out.

Of course as others have mentioned, make sure there are no obstacles at those lower heights.

If the mission fly's it out of range and looses contact with the RC does it RTH or continue with the mission?

Thanks for the responses.

Do the waypoints set on the map accurately transfer to the actual flight or is there a lot of deviations?

Depending on the apps. For example, Autopilot use its own flight controller, so losing connection will trigger RTH.
Autopilot doesn't have waypoints in its iOS version yet, correct?

Thanks for the responses.

Do the waypoints set on the map accurately transfer to the actual flight or is there a lot of deviations?
Very accurate in Litchi(iOS and android) and FPV Camera (iOS only). Can't speak for Autopilot as haven't used it.

Autopilot doesn't have waypoints in its iOS version yet, correct?
Just saw now - 4th Jan release 3.0 = update for iOS, including waypoint mode.

@yawnalot29, cheers.

Do you you know off hand if this is an in-app purchase?
Its a one time purchase for all flightmodes (WP is just one of them) and they said it also includes all future flightmodes.

The app is really simple to use in basic mode. But in advanced mode there is literally nothing you can't do.

They also sent out a survey asking about what the next flightmode should be and one of the options was the ability to finish a mission when losing contact.

I have used almost all apps out there on both iOS and android and the most professional one is AP. They are also really quick acting on beta feedback. Stuff we asked was literally added over night.

Its a one time purchase for all flightmodes (WP is just one of them) and they said it also includes all future flightmodes.

The app is really simple to use in basic mode. But in advanced mode there is literally nothing you can't do.

They also sent out a survey asking about what the next flightmode should be and one of the options was the ability to finish a mission when losing contact.

I have used almost all apps out there on both iOS and android and the most professional one is AP. They are also really quick acting on beta feedback. Stuff we asked was literally added over night.
Yes, I have already been using Autopilot for several months, so Waypoints is just a new feature for me. Past experience (having to make in-app purchases for new features) is what made me ask.

I went through all the tutorials last night and I must agree, their Waypoints mode is very powerful. However, there is very little that it can do which Litchi can't do, and Litchi is so much easier and intuitive to use!

All of Autopilot's modes are powerful, but very complicated, and with most devices being difficult to see properly in bright sunlight, it is a pain to set up a mission on site.

At the end of the day I suppose it comes down the personal preferences. Have fun.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20