Are any unexplained flyaways motor failures ?

H-A

Reaction score
I have a P2 and as yet (touch wood) have experienced no problems.

It works well, updates all work, batteries updated.

So hope I am doing all I can to prevent any problems.

My first Quad was a WLtoys v939 type, this performs very well and is a great introduction to flying quads.

I had a motor failure on this, and the result was it shooting off in an uncontrolled decent, into a large oak tree, for me it was a fly away as I had no control.

I recovered it and replaced one motor and it is performing correctly again.

The failure of the motor was not a total failure, but just a reduced power in that one motor.

My thought was if one motor on my Phantom 2 had a problem such as motor bearing break up, would the GPS and control system try and compensate, thus giving uncontrolled flight or the appearance of little or no control. Switching to ATTI would have no beneficial effect, and turning the transmitter would not help.

I have seen videos on youtube of flight problems and some are very erratic and random.

Just a thought.

H-A

From one who has experienced a weak motor/esc which sometimes failed goiong from high to low RPM, I can attest that the phantom comes straight down - and hard !

+1 I'm in the same category. Turned into a white hand grenade. ;)

:eek: I had one...tiny magnetized grit particle got inside motor bell and dropped 330' in 10.5 seconds.

I attribute most reported fly away behavior to lack of home lock, lack of satellites, or compass problems. Mostly pilot preflight issues. Mechanical problems do not fly away.

djczing said:
From one who has experienced a weak motor/esc which sometimes failed goiong from high to low RPM, I can attest that the phantom comes straight down - and hard !

I would agree with the posts above that almost all motor failures will result in a pretty quick tumble out of the sky. Taking off in one direction is most likely a bad IMU reading or a bad compass reading.

Note that GPS issues and a "bad home lock" are equally unlikely to be the cause of a flyaway.

The only direction a cooked/jammed motor or cooked ESC is going to take you is down... :shock:

-slinger

I have a Hubsan X4 which recently developed a bad motor. It didn't tumble out of the sky though (Thankfully) instead the motor slowed and the craft leaned down on that side and it decended pretty slowly until crash landing on its tiny feet. Of course Phantoms are heavier and bigger so that'll change things.

PsychopathRC said:
I have a Hubsan X4 which recently developed a bad motor. It didn't tumble out of the sky though (Thankfully) instead the motor slowed and the craft leaned down on that side and it decended pretty slowly until crash landing on its tiny feet. Of course Phantoms are heavier and bigger so that'll change things.

I could probably solder on new Hubsan motors in my sleep... Actually... on a few occasions I may have... :D

-slinger

Porably brushed motors, no?

Had the same experiences in ny first CP heli.

N017RW said:
Porably brushed motors, no?

Had the same experiences in ny first CP heli.

Nope... little brushless can motors... :D

-slinger

I think another possible cause for flyaways is moving the quad while it is booting up. Like plugging in the battery and then setting it down on the ground.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20