Applicable use of range booster

Reaction score
I bought a SURMIK Parabolic Antenna range extender for my P4P.

But according to the instructions that came with it, there is a message that says

"It is NOT recommended to use this range extension if you do not plan to fly over 2 miles or you are
new to this drone"

I am both. I'm new to this drone and I usually fly my drone just a few hundred meters from me as I'm still working on building my skills. I often have erratic video signal even within 30 meters. I thought a range booster could help but this warning is giving me second thoughts on using it.

I think its simply stating that 1) you shouldnt need that extender if you arent going 2 miles and 2) if you are new to the drone, you should keep it within visual contact at all times.

Thats how i interpret the warning at least.

Also, use of the reflecting antenna narrows the directionality of the signal. If you are flying at short range it may be more difficult to keep it pointed directly at the aircraft.

I have a DBS panel antenna fitted to my P4 and it is fantastic. It really works! I have just bought the P4P and have done two hours flying with it.

I wanted to mod the P4P too but they don't offer a dual band panel antenna yet. You can buy them but they are telco type stuff and wouldn't hang of the controller.

I bought the ARGtek "clean install" rabbit ears because then I would be able to try different antennas having SMA's available

This morning I tried my DBS MODS 2.4 panel with the P4P - MOST IMPORTANTLY - with the frequency band selected to 2.4 and it worked a treat. 3km.

I still couldn't go 3.5 km like I can in the P4.

Might have to try boosters next..

No it shouldn't hurt anything flying under 2 miles. Antenna boosters change the antenna pattern. Once you put boosters on, it goes from being an circular pattern, 360 degrees, to a directional pattern, by narrowing the degree of which you can fly.

Example: turn a lantern on and watch the light. It lights up all around it. Now cover up the back of the lantern and some of the sides with something reflective. Now the lantern only shines at a 45 degree angle in the front, but the light is stronger and covering a bit more range.

Only example I could come up with on the spot lol.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20