Apple now launched 4K and 5K iMac's - might help 4K pilots

Reaction score
I noticed Apple launched a new range of 4k/5k iMac's yesterday...pricing seemed better than I thought for such an advanced computer. Maybe would be of interest to P3P pilots as these computers would probably edit 4K with ease.

Maybe a good thing, as it would help propel the already popular P3P and Inspire 1 UAVs.

Here is the link from macrumors:-

Apple Launches New 4K & 5K iMacs, Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Trackpad 2

Reactions: dirkclod
Not necessarily so.
Just because you have a 4K or 5K display does not mean you have the horse power to edit 4K video.

Not necessarily so.
Just because you have a 4K or 5K display does not mean you have the horse power to edit 4K video.
I think you will find in this case, it will. Agreed just by having a 4K monitor on some old Intel CPU won't help.

The spec's for this iMac seem, to me at least impressive and can certainly handle large data throughputs, from storage up to the i7 quad.

Unless you get SSD version, I think you are going to find disk speed is too slow for editing 4k video in any NLE as seek times (for magnetic timeline and rendering will be diskbound). The Write speeds of the Fusion drive is limited to 350 MB/s for 2013-14 models which can be a problem with rendering 4k effects, would be interesting if they improved that slightly with 2015 SSD speeds although the 21" model has only a 24 GB SSD drive for base fusion model (need to go up to 1 TB+ to get 128 GB SSD for fusion)
Prices are comparable to Windows 4k+ desktops but still not as good as what you can build with a hackintosh and 4k monitors. If target display mode was allowed on new models they would have much more value but you will probably have to wait until 2017 for that.

Unless you get SSD version, I think you are going to find disk speed is too slow for editing 4k video in any NLE as seek times (for magnetic timeline and rendering will be diskbound). The Write speeds of the Fusion drive is limited to 350 MB/s for 2013-14 models which can be a problem with rendering 4k effects, would be interesting if they improved that slightly with 2015 SSD speeds although the 21" model has only a 24 GB SSD drive for base fusion model (need to go up to 1 TB+ to get 128 GB SSD for fusion)
Prices are comparable to Windows 4k+ desktops but still not as good as what you can build with a hackintosh and 4k monitors. If target display mode was allowed on new models they would have much more value but you will probably have to wait until 2017 for that.

Screw the stupid fusion drive and just get a 1TB SSD, work to the computer and run an external 4TB-8TB drive for saving things on

Reactions: 750r
I would have brought 2 5k monitors but they are only thunderbolt :(......I'm doing Adobe Premiere on my 3.2Ghz with 16GB and 2 512GB SSD in RAID-0 and 3 Dell 4ks ...it's pretty old PC but it's now sweat for 4k video

You really don't need the newest and greatest setup for 4k editing. I do just fine and output to my 55" 4k TV. It's so much better watching it here after the edits than on YouTube. Haven't uploaded anything since setting it up in the living room. heh.

Intel Core i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz
8GB Memory
64 bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
Intel SSDSC2CW120A3 (SSD)

Incidentally, can still surf internet and watch Netflix while Adobe Premiere or Cyberlink PowerDirector 14 (Premiere until the trial ends) are processing a video.

Screw the stupid fusion drive and just get a 1TB SSD, work to the computer and run an external 4TB-8TB drive for saving things on
I completely agree other than cost (the machine would be over 3k).
I built a Hackintosh with 1 TB SSD (2x512 GB RAID0) and I achieve 1 GB/s R/W in BMD test. This is more than enough for 10bit 4k RAW and should last for awhile with a GTX 970 Graphics card. My total cost is slightly over $1k paired with 4k and 1440p screens for viewing and ediitng respectively.
And 4TB External? I have a redundant pair of 16 TB Arrays half full from a year of GoPros and P3 4k video. I can't imagine 4-6 TB being enough long term and my arrays can be upgraded as drive prices come down. The Seagate 6-8 TB drives should only be used for archival storage and not for active reading/writing as it will destroy the drive quickly due to the shingled platters.

Last edited:
I completely agree other than cost (the machine would be over 3k).
I built a Hackintosh with 1 TB SSD (2x512 GB RAID0) and I achieve 1 GB/s R/W in BMD test. This is more than enough for 10bit 4k RAW and should last for awhile with a GTX 970 Graphics card. My total cost is slightly over $1k paired with 4k and 1440p screens for viewing and ediitng respectively.
And 4TB External? I have a redundant pair of 16 TB Arrays half full from a year of GoPros and P3 4k video. I can't imagine 4-6 TB being enough long term and my arrays can be upgraded as drive prices come down. The Seagate 6-8 TB drives should only be used for archival storage and not for active reading/writing as it will destroy the drive quickly due to the shingled platters.

You use your Hackencrap and I'll stay with use my Mac:D

You use your Hackencrap and I'll stay with use my Mac:D
If money were no concern, you should have gone with 4.0 ghz cpu upgrade as it will last a lot longer. Also hope you got the 395 Gupta upgrade as the default card was underpowered for screen. I spec'd out a retina iMac and couldn't justify the cost when I won't even be able to use the screen when the GPU is obsolete in 3 years. Bully for you though, hope it suits you well.

If your audience is primarily online, 4K is not yet worth the uncut footage storage size or lower fps on small cameras.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers