App that shows restricted airspace?

Reaction score
Anyone in the US know of an app that synchs with Google Map to let you know if you are too close to an airport? Where you and your phone are, of course.

Not an app but I picked up this link from another member here and I check it before going flying at any new location and often look at it before hitting my normal flying field just to make sure there isn't a TFR in place for some unknown reason...

http://skyvector.com/

hmm...skyvector...ok, something like this but which we can use to know if we are within prohibited distance from airport.

Look at the map key in Skyvector and it tells you what all the red (TFR!), purple and blue rings around controlled airfields mean. If you know where you are in relation to those rings you will know if you are inside controlled airspace. Not a fluid solution but the best I've found so far.

Wow... the DJI site shows the edge of the radius line just down the street from my house. I see they use a 5 mile radius. I am actually more concerned with a small 7GO public airpark within 10 miles of me as they fly at much lower altitudes than the commercial craft from the international airport nearby.

happydogs said:
hmm...skyvector...ok, something like this but which we can use to know if we are within prohibited distance from airport.

Skyvector is exactly what you are asking for. Any blue or purple thick solid ring is controlled space and will indicate the altitudes where it applies in flight levels. You want to pay attention to anything that has the letters "SFC" in it. Learning to read the basics isn't that hard. Use this legend:

legend.jpg

ianwood said:
You want to pay attention to anything that has the letters "SFC" in it.
Also any blue dashed circle around an airport (class D to the ground) as well as any magenta dashed line in the neighborhood of an airport (class E to the ground). And any restricted (R-xxxx) or prohibited (P-xxxx) airspace.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj