App Store review delays ground DJI's new Phantom 3 drone

Where is the android version? What's the name? I didn't see it in the G-playstore.

im an apple developer, registered with both ios and android...

android is full of shitty apps, because there is no review process, you upload your apk and your app is in the appstore in minutes...

apple is another story, if your app doesnt meet the guidelines for app development then it doesnt matter if you are dji, google or the white house your app wont hit the appstore until you make the changes suggested by the person who reviews your app.

i havent submitted an app this year, but for november/december the review queue was up to eight days, you could submit an expedited review petition, but theres no warranty that your app will be reviewed or aproved...

dji could have uploaded the app for review a couple months ago and selected the "i will release the app on a specific date" option. have the app reviewd and once aproved release the app when the phantoms were delivered...

Last edited:
Over on the DJI forum Tahoe Ed stated that they submitted the new app in plenty of time for the normal review process, but apple is swamped with app changes related to the Apple Watch roll out, which has extended review time by a week or more. This is the first I have heard about a Android app recall or replacement unless they are adding a new feature that was finished at the last moment.

actually dji had the option to sign their ios app with an enterprise certificate, which means they dont have to go through the review process. they just build the app, upload it to amazon and users download it and install it outside the app store.

I think that's fine and all, but making a submission into the review system weeks before delivery, with the anticipation that the process would pull through in sync with shipments, is a pretty risky move for a launch of this size. And rather than filling out a form and crossing their fingers, I would think that a large company like DJI would be inclined to make some sort of internal agreements with Apple to ensure that their product launches on schedule.

Even if that isn't possible, It would still have been far better to have the update released before the product shipped.

They make good products, and I plan to add the Ronin M to my gear bag soon, but I gotta say I am pretty underwhelmed by DJI as a corporate entity. It's actually kind of funny, lol

Exactly. Have you seen the manual posted yet? So are we really buying that the delay in the app is Apple's fault? This new Phantom was hyped like an Apple product, I wish it was rolled out as smoothly.

Yeah that Apple Watch really rolled out smoothly lol...

Yeah that Apple Watch really rolled out smoothly lol...
referring to the iphones, upgrade to an existing product. Far outsold phantom and yet, a million people get them, in hand, on the day they're supposed to. I'd like to see how many p3's made it on release day.

Yeah we will just ignore the shite they dont do well like antenna gate...

I ordered my P3 a week after perorders began and it will be here Thurs

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31477733&postcount=4753
The statement DJI made blaming apple has been redacted with an apology.

"REDACTED.

I have been informed that one of our engineers has made a misstatement to Apple. That has caused the delay. I apologies for my previous statement that the delay was caused by Apple that was not correct. We are working with Apple to correct the situation and will inform our users when the App is available. Again I am so sorry for misleading our users on this matter and was relying on the most resent data that was available to me. I am most embarrassed. DJI as a company will make this right. My apologies and please feel free to comment. It is my fault."

Yeah we will just ignore the shite they dont do well like antenna gate...

I ordered my P3 a week after perorders began and it will be here Thurs

I hope they have the app out, so you can fly it.

dont need no stinking app to fly, albeit it would certainly be a better experience

DJI support says you can but no way I'm doing this. I want to check IMU status and calibrate compass before flying my new toy. Here's to hoping the app get pushed tomorrow before my p3 shows up at my door!

Totally agree! You don't want to be this guy.

Reactions: damitjim

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj