App Disconnections very disconcerting

I'm thinking it might be a hardware issue with the USB port. Mine seems to be a bit flimsy compared with other USB connectors? Hopefully the new HDMI board will solve all issues if it's not a software issue.

Not disputing there is a problem for some of you guys.. just saying that I have had x3 P3 aircraft, flown the hell out of them and not had a disconnect issue. Clearly there is a problem somewhere - I am just relating to you my experience which puts another perspective on the problem.

Flew the bird again today, absolutely love it but extremely disappointed with the app disconnection problem which is widely reported after the 1.1.8 firmware update.

For the first 5-6 minutes (at a guess) on both flights, the bird and the app is fine.

However on both flights after this time, the app is completely intermittent and the disconnections make for an EXTREMELY nervous flight - if the GPS was to fail, then its goodbye drone for newbie pilots that are no good in atti mode.

It also means that currently (for obvious reasons) I will only fly the drone very close to me so it is always in sight - so i cant go too high.

Does anyone know if/when this will be fixed? DJI tell me they are aware of the problem, but being aware of it and doing something about it are two different things!!!

Record the screen using an app recorder then upload it, maybe we can help you

Anyone having this issue might try a ferrite choke like this.

300px-USBwithFerriteBead.jpg

You probably have one on another lead already.
You don't have to loop it around.
Not happened with mine but it's been blowing a gale for three days anyway so not flown it.

Tried my iPhone 6 and had all sorts of problems, switched cables, and it seemed much better, one brief disconnect and then ran solid. Going to try the mini 2 next battery with "good" cable. Seems to be very sensitive to which cable you use.

The odd thing with this fault is people are getting it with Genuine Apple cables so i don't it's a cable issue as such but I am wondering if it's an RFI issue with the cable being so close to the antennas.

Also there is logic in the lightning cable as well so it's quite possible the RF being so close could cause it. It could also explain why people are getting better results with a shorter cable as less to pick up RFI.

Apple would never have had this in mind when designing it so it could well be one of those things. Mind reading the I1 forums they are also complaint of issues since the update so I could be completely wrong.

In my case, the short fabric wound cord recommended by many was the culprit. A Amazon basic 3ft cable seems to be much better. Would like to try the ferrite choke. Perhaps they should ship with a ferrite choke lightning cable.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
here u go
The Ios Cables Gold plated contacts get used over time, from connecting and disconnecting cycles, and end up with damaged contacts on the cable, creating unstable connections and any random movement can cause a disconnection of the device, on my Iphone 5 i was forced to purchase new lightning cable every 3-6 months, because of this issue.
My theory is that it is cable related, you might also want to clean the contacts inside your phone/tablet because they tend to pickup dust and get dirty also contributing to this issue with lightning cable devices...

Because in the video you show you don't seem to get any disconnection until you apply movement to the device and create vibration in the cable..

In Android, to connect to the controller, the tablet must be in "developer mode". When a device is connected in developer mode. there is an icon indicating connection with the device. When the disconnection occurs in the app for me, my tablet, the Nexus 7 2013, still shows the controller as connected. Unplugging and re-seating the cable does NOT resolve the disconnection issue.

That evidence leads me to believe this is NOT a cable issue. That doesn't mean that a few people aren't having problems with their cables, but I'd hate to see this bigger issue being dismissed as a cable issue when it likely rests on DJI to find a resolution other than us all running out and buying new cables with ferrite chokes on them.

In Android, to connect to the controller, the tablet must be in "developer mode". When a device is connected in developer mode. there is an icon indicating connection with the device. When the disconnection occurs in the app for me, my tablet, the Nexus 7 2013, still shows the controller as connected. Unplugging and re-seating the cable does NOT resolve the disconnection issue.

That evidence leads me to believe this is NOT a cable issue. That doesn't mean that a few people aren't having problems with their cables, but I'd hate to see this bigger issue being dismissed as a cable issue when it likely rests on DJI to find a resolution other than us all running out and buying new cables with ferrite chokes on them.

Any word from DJI if they are working on this issue?

The Ios Cables Gold plated contacts get used over time, from connecting and disconnecting cycles, and end up with damaged contacts on the cable, creating unstable connections and any random movement can cause a disconnection of the device, on my Iphone 5 i was forced to purchase new lightning cable every 3-6 months, because of this issue.
My theory is that it is cable related, you might also want to clean the contacts inside your phone/tablet because they tend to pickup dust and get dirty also contributing to this issue with lightning cable devices...

Because in the video you show you don't seem to get any disconnection until you apply movement to the device and create vibration in the cable..

The cable (and the second one i tried too) are out of the box brand new... i bought this ipad mini 2 with the sole reason to use with the drone...

agree, for me its a bug with the software...

Any word from DJI if they are working on this issue?

No. I did contact DJI when the issue first emerged but since it was during my first week of using the drone I wanted a better body of experience and trial before accusing DJI of faulty software. That's what forums are good for: hearing about other people's conditions and seeing what you could do differently.

Now that I have many hours of flight across a couple weeks, it keeps coming back to the signal. I tried different devices, I tried different Android app versions, I tried manually setting the channel and video quality, I tried different antennae orientations and angles towards the drone, and I tried seeing if it was just happening at a specific time and distance. By trying all of these different conditions I could get a better data set to go back to them with. That's how you provide constructive criticism...

I guess it's time to go back to DJI but the last step will be to try to reproduce this issue while recording the screen because they won't do crap without that...

The problem lies within your tablet or the cable, try different tablets and cable.

If that does not solve the problem then it's a issue with the Phantom! Do you have any other tablets or smartphones ? With different cables

Wow, that is strange. I have an iPad Mini 2 I bought just for my P3P and 10 flights down with no disconnects. Same firmware. Is it WIFI or Cellular? Did you try airplane mode? I don't put mine in airplane but I do turn off wifi before flying.

No. I did contact DJI when the issue first emerged but since it was during my first week of using the drone I wanted a better body of experience and trial before accusing DJI of faulty software. That's what forums are good for: hearing about other people's conditions and seeing what you could do differently.

Now that I have many hours of flight across a couple weeks, it keeps coming back to the signal. I tried different devices, I tried different Android app versions, I tried manually setting the channel and video quality, I tried different antennae orientations and angles towards the drone, and I tried seeing if it was just happening at a specific time and distance. By trying all of these different conditions I could get a better data set to go back to them with. That's how you provide constructive criticism...

I guess it's time to go back to DJI but the last step will be to try to reproduce this issue while recording the screen because they won't do crap without that...

Hi Dave,

Oh bugger you tried all of that and its still happening? - I am about to go to the mall and exchange my ipad mini 2 for a samsung galaxy tab pro to see if that helps.

Im pretty annoyed it has to be said...

When I contacted DJI telling them that "I am using app 1.1.1 and firmware 1.1.8 all updated and here is my problem" their response (some 4 days later via email) was "please update the firmware to version 1.1.8 before using the app" - I mean seriously!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic