Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

App Disconnections very disconcerting

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by paulsheaves, May 16, 2015.

1. paulsheaves

Flew the bird again today, absolutely love it but extremely disappointed with the app disconnection problem which is widely reported after the 1.1.8 firmware update.

For the first 5-6 minutes (at a guess) on both flights, the bird and the app is fine.

However on both flights after this time, the app is completely intermittent and the disconnections make for an EXTREMELY nervous flight - if the GPS was to fail, then its goodbye drone for newbie pilots that are no good in atti mode.

It also means that currently (for obvious reasons) I will only fly the drone very close to me so it is always in sight - so i cant go too high.

Does anyone know if/when this will be fixed? DJI tell me they are aware of the problem, but being aware of it and doing something about it are two different things!!!

2. eseckinger

What tablet? Never had any disconnects here

3. paulsheaves

ipad mini 2

4. eseckinger

You have anything else to try? Nexus 7 2013 here

5. paulsheaves

unfortunately not - bought the ipad mini 2 specifically for this!

6. J.James

WOW that blows.

My cheepo $119 Asus meno 7 seems to be working perfectly and the only time The app crashed was one time. And after I was done flying and trying to watch on of the cached videos.

7. blade strike

Never had one and use mini2, air,air2 and some android devices.

Reboot the ipad, make sure no other apps are running. Make sure you allow the device when prompted. Make sure your using a certified cable.

8. paulsheaves

Hi Blade strike, I guess you are one of the lucky ones...

Check this thread: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=14644

I dont have any apps on the ipad mini 2 except for the DJI pilot app (bought the ipad specifically for this, and this only) - have tried reinstalling the app (more than once), still no good. Have also tried two different cables, both official ones.

:-(

9. JayB

I use a mini ipad 2 and have never had the app disconnect or crash.... fingers crossed it stays that way.

10. paulsheaves

Are you on 1.1.8 Jay?

DJI have told me they are aware of the problem so I hope there is a firmware update on it soon... only other option would be to exchange the ipad mini... but, does the mini 3 have the same issue, anyone know?

11. envisionabove

Starting off today Nexus 7 II, Was doing the cold IMU Calibration outside nice level surface.. And was having disconnected problems. I don't know if it was the sequence got out of wack or not. Kept powering down everything and starting up again and still it would disconnect while doing IMU. I brought it into the garage and got it going on the bench. Then brought it outside again and it worked... Took about 20 mins or more . Once all that was done Gimbel then compass I took it for a safety check around the house. Everything seemed fine except the light-bridge video was not good. The Videos came out ok.

Charged up the (ONE) battery and the TX and rebooted the N7 II and took it to the open space preserve across the street calibrated the compass and everything was perfect.

Conditions ( Cloudy some thin and some thick clouds ) Gray rain type not white. Light Wind 57 F.

First time it's happened to me. Thought for sure something was broke. Go Figure....

12. mohan

Paul

Got a bunch of ipad mini 2 and 3 for my fleet of P3 and Inspires. Never had a disconnect. Maybe there is a hardware issue on your ipad or cable

13. packerman8

I use an IPAD Mini 3, and no problems so far besides when I forget to plug in the cable to the IPAD and the controller which happens a lot. :)

14. davemex

I have a Nexus 7 2013. I get that problem too on occasion. The only solution that works for me is to land and reboot the controller. Firmware is latest, Android app is 1.1.0

15. Kman

No issues here with my iPhone 6 Plus. The P3 will not lose GPS connectivity if the app on your iPad Mini 2 needs to be restarted. Let the P3 hover in place while you restart the app.

Do you have the iPad Mini 2 in a case? If so it's probably over heating while running the app. Have you tried using the iPad Mini 2 in airplane mode? That could fix your issue too.

Let us know.

16. StarLord

My iPad mini 2 is also dropping connection often, sometimes before I even take off. You really have to trust the RTH and the GPS when this happens. I have my wifi off and am using a certified cable. I hope it's just a software issue, the iPad asks to "trust" the computer after it crashes.
    I'll try a iphone6 tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed. Other then this, love my P3

17. Alex Kiritsis

I'm also having issues with the iPad mini 2. The iPhone 6 plus works better but after about 10 minutes when the phone warms up, it starts to act the same as the mini but not as bad.

Note: I have non of the same issues with the Moto G.

18. paulsheaves

Check this thread Mohan, its separate to mine, i think its obvious that many people are having a problem with the ipad mini's... http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=14644

19. Turbazz

1.1.1 is the latest am sure. 1.1.8? Send me a screenshot.

20. JayB

I have the latest firmware, 1.1.8 and app, 1.1.1. I only use the iPad for flying the P3A, do we know if the problem is predominantly with the Advanced or Professional? I also have Hardware Decode enabled.