App crash sets new homepoint

It does seem counterintuitive as the rth point is stored in the copter (so it can rth if disconnected from the rc), but perhaps restarting the app and replugging the usb forces an rth point reset in the copter. When I've had app crashes I have not seen rth point resets.

This brings up a question, though. Does the rth point include altitude data, or just lat/lon? In the OP's case, had he hit rth would it have gone to the new point, descended to 145 feet and hovered there? Or would it have gone to the point and descended until on the ground? I suspect the latter, but does anyone know for sure?

From what I understand about RTH, it doesn't force a descent ... only an ascent if below failsafe altitude at time of RTH activation.

It does seem counterintuitive as the rth point is stored in the copter (so it can rth if disconnected from the rc), but perhaps restarting the app and replugging the usb forces an rth point reset in the copter. When I've had app crashes I have not seen rth point resets.

This brings up a question, though. Does the rth point include altitude data, or just lat/lon? In the OP's case, had he hit rth would it have gone to the new point, descended to 145 feet and hovered there? Or would it have gone to the point and descended until on the ground? I suspect the latter, but does anyone know for sure?
I have the flight txt as it was split in two when the app crashed the new one is just a point in the middle of the field where it was hovering. I have been testing out disabling things so I don't get app crashes ( google services) and when I disabled it, I would get no map, so I re-enabled it and just downgraded it. I just got done with 2 solid flights w/no app crashes and it flew flawlessly. :) I think the homepoint reset may have been a glitch when I unplugged the usb, so I am not too worried about it.
I just wanted to get it out there and let people know that it does happen sometimes and to watch out for it if your app crashes. (make sure your homepoint is in the correct place).

Reactions: SENC
From what I understand about RTH, it doesn't force a descent ... only an ascent if below failsafe altitude at time of RTH activation.
It must descend to land at the rth point, though. So, what would have happened had the rth command been activated in the OP's situation? Hover indefinitely at 145 ft or descent to ground?

It must descend to land at the rth point, though. So, what would have happened had the rth command been activated in the OP's situation? Hover indefinitely at 145 ft or descent to ground?
Yes, I would also like to know if it would have just landed or just hovered there at 145ft. I guess we will never know and I don't think I want to try it out. :) I'm very happy with the way it flies, and if they can get the dji go app to play nice with the google services, there will be no problems.
Happy flying all!

Reactions: JohnK and SENC
Bottom line for me: the idea that the home point could be randomly reset is scary.
yeah... maybe it could explain some flyaways.
It wasn't flying away, it was going home. ;)

My understanding is that the home point GPS location is only stored in the Phantom and not the App. This is needed in case the Phantom looses connection to the RC. If the App crashes and sets an arbitrary point on the screen, how do you know for sure that the App reprogrammed the Phanton to store a different home point?

Reactions: atki
^ Interesting question. This is a pretty serious potential problem. I think my response to an app crash (I have never had one) will be RTH without turning the app back on. I am not one of these record-setter types who fly far away, so the inconvenience of the RTH would be worth the piece of mind ... and the safe return of my copter.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl