AP news today. Idiots flying near wildfires giving drones a really bad name.

Reaction score
Don't fly near fires, folks.

Attachments

• 1466790779891.jpg
    1466790779891.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 542
Concur! As a southern California resident, I shudder to think about those firefighters flying aircraft that low to fight fires. This is one case where no quad flyer can argue that planes fly high enough for vertical separation and deconfliction. Purely stupid, selfish amateurs.

We just had a fire near my home over the last couple of days. Many water dropping copters and fire retardant fixed wing craft doing what they do. I really would have loved to had a great shot from AGL, but I really wanted the pilots to have the sky more. Stay grounded. It's the right thing to do!!!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

It really sucks. I am in Southern California right now flying one of those helicopters dropping water on those fires. Two days ago while flying on the reservoir fire just northeast of L.A. Someone decide to fly their Phantom around the dip site where we get our water. The air attack that flys above us controlling the Temporary flight restriction made us all go back to the Heli base and land until the phantom was gone. This happened 4 times through out the day. It's such a bummer that some people have no brains. I bet if that guys house burned down and his phantom melted because we all had to land, he would be pretty dang bummed on his decision to grab a couple quick aerial shots. I own a few phantoms and an S1000, although these things are a blast to fly, keep them on the ground while we're out flying. That's all.

Reactions: Gulfstream
Who saw the drone, the air attack flying above you? Who reported that the Phantom was gone? Who reported it was a Phantom?

Where's the video from the helicopter?

Where's the video from the drone op?

Where's the photo or video evidence from anyone else at the reservoir?

If it happened four times in one day, that means the "Phantom" was flying for at least an hour, 15 per battery. No authorities at the reservoir could gather any facts?
All these so called reports, but none of them have produced one photo or video of the offender. Nor is there a video from the offender.

Until I see video or photographic evidence, these sighting are mistaken identity or false.

I had a pretty close call a few weeks ago with a helicopter. I always check for temporary restrictions and make sure it is safe to fly. There was nothing in sight and I decided to launch. About 10 mins into flying I hear what sounds like a helicopter so I immediately come closer to the ground from 300ft and closer towards me so I can land. Too late, he came out of nowhere and was behind my Phantom as I descended. I believe from a distance he saw the Phantom and got curious and decided to see where I was. He kind of slowed down and then just went over me. He wasn't as close as it sounds I'm sure but I know it had me panicked because I didn't want to be anywhere near him while he was up there. I've flown in this location about once a week for the past few months and never had any issues like this. I like flying out here because I am on a hilltop and can see for miles for 360 degrees of me but this guy seriously came out of nowhere and had me almost considering a CSC but it did look he just wanted me to move and make it aware that we were in the air together.

I know that there are many lives I could put in danger while I am in in the air for many reasons and want to be sure that I take every precaution to hopefully never have any incidents. Does anyone else a have a long checklist they go through before they get up in the air?

Who saw the drone, the air attack flying above you? Who reported that the Phantom was gone? Who reported it was a Phantom?

Where's the video from the helicopter?

Where's the video from the drone op?

Where's the photo or video evidence from anyone else at the reservoir?

If it happened four times in one day, that means the "Phantom" was flying for at least an hour, 15 per battery. No authorities at the reservoir could gather any facts?
All these so called reports, but none of them have produced one photo or video of the offender. Nor is there a video from the offender.

Until I see video or photographic evidence, these sighting are mistaken identity or false.

Paranoid much? It's a conspiracy! Quack Quack. The people in the air and on location are better trained and in a better position to make the call than you are sitting in from of your computer screen.

Paranoid much? It's a conspiracy! Quack Quack. The people in the air and on location are better trained and in a better position to make the call than you are sitting in from of your computer screen.

Not paranoid nor a conspiracy theorist. Just tired of third hand reports, mass media hysteria and no factual reporting.

Still awaiting Masterofnothing's reply to my questions. He supposedly was on scene, in the air, better trained and in the better position.
His/her silence is deafening.

Not paranoid nor a conspiracy theorist. Just tired of third hand reports, mass media hysteria and no factual reporting.

Still awaiting Masterofnothing's reply to my questions. He supposedly was on scene, in the air, better trained and in the better position.
His/her silence is deafening.

I second that... not calling the guy out, but it would be nice to substantiate some of these reports??! For all the dozens of these reports how many photos or video corroboration have you ever seen? to show in fact it was a "drone"?... only a hand full.

For the millions of hours of drone and manned aircraft flying daily, there's not been one actual collision, I believe it's zero. We don't know if a collision would be minor or catastrophic. Birds represent a much greater danger as they are always in the air. These toy drones last 15 minutes at altitude so the duty cycle and probability of a collision is extremely low. It's real simple, your drone takes down another aircraft, there are plenty of existing laws for that. If you violate temporary flight restrictions, there are laws for that. The fire air drops should continue. We don't know if objects seen are drones, birds or trash flying around. But if one gets caught flying a drone in a TFR, they should be charged. Enough with the hysteria, people need to focus on the facts and actual evidence.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan