Anywhere near Rockville,Md ok to Fly?

Reaction score
Hi gang,

First week of June I'll be visiting relatives in Rockville for 5 days.
Wondering if it's even worth bringing my drone as there's so many restricted areas near D.C.
Any of you live in the area and know of places to fly- that are photo worthy.
I don't need places to fly just to FLY- I can do that at home.
I'm looking for either beautiful landscape scenery or stock worthy locations.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I live nearby, everything around there still falls in the 50 mile NFZ from Washington DC. You can go up towards Frederick area and get out of that zone, but you may want to try Harpers Ferry WV for decent photog opps.

50? Crap. I thought it was 25.
I'll look at maps. But I'm thinking it may not be worth the trouble.
Have to go back to my dslr...[emoji57]

Thx for the info.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
I'm confused on the NoFly zone distance. On the FAA site "No Drone Zone"
It says 15 miles NO FLY restriction completely, but 15-30 we can if under 400', and usual UAV rules. :
DC No Drone Zone
The National Capital Region is governed by a Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) within a 30-mile radius of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, which restricts all flights in the greater DC area.
The SFRA is divided into a 15-mile radius inner ring and a 30-mile radius outer ring.
Flying an unmanned aircraft within the 15-mile radius inner ring is prohibited without specific FAA authorization.
Flying a UAS for recreational or non-recreational use between 15 and 30 miles from Washington, D.C. is allowed under these operating conditions:
Aircraft must weigh less than 55 lbs. (including any attachments such as a camera)
Aircraft must be registered and marked (if it is not operated exclusively under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, pending NOTAM change)
Fly below 400 ft.
Fly within visual line-of-sight
Fly in clear weather conditions
Never fly near other aircraft
The airspace around Washington, D.C. is more restricted than in any other part of the country. Rules put in place after the 9/11 attacks establish "national defense airspace" over the area and limit aircraft operations to those with an FAA and Transportation Security Administration authorization. Violators face stiff fines and criminal penalties.

So unless I'm reading this wrong, more than 15 miles out I should be able to fly.
Or do we still need to apply for an Authorization for that 15-30 distance?

I also sent this question to the people at RemotePilot101 - who's course I took to pass my Part 107 exam.
And here is their answer
LinkedIn_Photo.jpg

Hunter (MzeroA.com)

May 28, 23:41 EDT

Hello Jeff,

You can fly at least 15 miles away from DCA without authorization in Class G airspace under 400 feet. =)
Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.

4da33999f27d2273edfd2cdb347ff504

[email protected]

May 28, 08:19 EDT

Name
Jeff Ellis
Email
[email protected]
Question
15 mile or 30 mile no fly zone around Washington DC?

As it looked to me from the FAA site.
Much better news than I'd hoped. Still may not bring it just due to time constraints with family this trip - but good to know.

Nice job in doing the research first hand. Not everything you read on the internet is true, even though it may have been well meaning.

Reactions: jephoto
Ok people. I posted this question 3 years ago. Didn’t get much traction. And now I’m in the area again same question.
I see to the west & SW of Rockville there’s a series of Regional parks along the Potomac River that at least in DJI Go4 appear ok to fly. I don’t think these are STATE Parks, but entirely sure.
Anyone out there know if it’s legal to fly around there?
I’ll only have tomorrow and another day around the 18th in this area so some solid suggestions today would be helpful…
Thanks

For example there’s this Riverbend Park in Great Falls. Looks ok to fly. Not sure if I can actually get down to the water or where a good vantage point would be.
again, if anyone lives in the area and has some input it would same me scouting time...

3 Clarks Branch Rd
Great Falls, VA 22066
United States

thinking towards sunset could be nice here. But sunrise too

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart