Anyway to test ESCs

Reaction score
After recent crash that bent the shell and broke an ESC & Motor on the left foreword arm. I replaced the shell, motor and ESC. Now on startup I get 4 beeps and 3 red flashes from the new ESC (These beeps are louder and in addition to the normal startup) replaced and there were no lights on the front right. The LEDs on the rear are normal yellow & green. until both sides flash green.With CSC on the controller the engines start and appear to be on sync. I can rev the engines and all LEDs appear normal red flashing on both in front and green flashing on the rear two, and the engines shuts down properly. When I try to take off it flips over. I had already removed the camera and gimbal and was planning on flying LOS until I regained confidence in the bird

I tried replacing the ESC with another new one and I get the same results, I've checked for cold solder connections

Any advice would be appreciated

pterrill said:
After recent crash that bent the shell and broke an ESC & Motor on the left foreword arm. I replaced the shell, motor and ESC. Now on startup I get 4 beeps and 3 red flashes from the new ESC (These beeps are louder and in addition to the normal startup) replaced and there were no lights on the front right. The LEDs on the rear are normal yellow & green. until both sides flash green.With CSC on the controller the engines start and appear to be on sync. I can rev the engines and all LEDs appear normal red flashing on both in front and green flashing on the rear two, and the engines shuts down properly. When I try to take off it flips over. I had already removed the camera and gimbal and was planning on flying LOS until I regained confidence in the bird

I tried replacing the ESC with another new one and I get the same results, I've checked for cold solder connections

Any advice would be appreciated

Have you verified proper rotation (of all the props)?

No I hadn't, I just assumed and you know what does. I had a heck of a time verifying the proper rotation, but after repeated startups with the props on I'm as sure as I can be that two black are counter clockwise and and the silver are clock wise. But because I was forced to watch the rotations a lot closer with the props on I think I may've found another problem if not the problem. I observed that the prop and shaft raised up about ⅜" out of the motor on the foreword right arm motor. This can be duplicated but only on power down. I physically tried to pull the shaft out of the motor when idle and it dozen't budge.
NO17RW thank you, you may've giving me the path I needed to resolve my problem.

Correction to above post; It turned out not to be the shaft coming out of the motor, I inspected the motor found no problems the C clip was intact. What I saw has to be something with the DJI prop, how it can raise up and expose ⅜" of the shaft and still be tight on the shaft I don't understand. I still getting the 4 loud beeps so I'm back to square 1.

I have read others having the 4 beeps when replacing an ESC. ESCs normally need to be calibrated to the controller's throttle so it learns the 0% and 100% spots. Unfortunately I don't know how you go about putting a Phantom's ESC in calibration mode? Try Googling "Calibrate DJI Phantom Vision+ ESC" and see what you can find.

Our quads (before the vPlus, and probably around January) use to ALL give 4 beeps prior to start up. It was firmware updates that eventually stopped them from chiming. And now I feel like I'm beginning to over think about cause I kind of think of....awe **** nevermind. Anyway, the vPlus has never chimed 4 times. I always thought it use to be a pre-test prior to start up on the P2V.

I'm thinking he should know just by looking at his motor if it is the correct one or not. Two have the black dot on bolt top, and two have flat surface, right.

I have verified that the ⅜" lift has happened with 3 different props. The same props that have no problem on the opposite motor. This would make a person believe that the problem should be with the motor except there is no apparent damage differences between it and the others except for the the black dot at the end of the shaft to determine the rotation. I took it apart the magnets look good and the shaft is fine. I'm going to order a new motor incase it is something I'm not a aware of. I'm also considering swapping the motor with the opposite side to see if this situation follows. As far as the 4 loud beeps DJI WIKI says it is caused by improper input voltage. I'll try to compare the voltages on this ESC to the others. As far as Googling Calibrating the ESC one source says they're calibrated by DJI and don't require recalibrating. Another source is someplace in England selling a unit that claims to calibrates all four ESCs at the same time. I think for now I'll try to verify the voltage inputs. I tried to upload a picture with the motors running showing a normal gap and the one with the ⅜" lift but I haven't had time to figure out how to upload pictures yet. Thanks for everyone responses.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers