Anyway to log flight data (altitude) on P1 ?

Reaction score
Is there any way to add a data recorder to the Phantom v1.1.1 to get information like max altitude flown?

Yep,
OSD, or IOSD and a DVR.

There's that "Flytrex" thing out there, but I know nothing about it and it may only be for the P2 folks.

Reactions: 750r
The Flytrex Live 3G will work on your P1 and it will provide altitude, speed, distance from home, number of satellites and battery power. I have one that I move between a P1 and an FC-40 and it works like a charm. A cheaper route will be a Flytrex core, but it writes to an SD card and you have to down load it to your computer while the Live 3G gives you real time on your smartphone or tablet and automatically downloads to your profile on the Flytrex account. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Ti22 and 750r
I think the flytrex live can make your flight data accessible by others. Guess it doesn't matter if you don't mind big brother watching what you do.

My first thought was that someone crafty could watch for Phantoms that crash and get there before the owner can :oops: Probably not, but just a thought.

I also do not like the fact that the $200 investment becomes a paper weight if for ANY reason the service is discontinued. Finally, it only works where there's cellular coverage. In urban areas no problem.
But how long does it take for a runaway Phantom to depart the area and head for the woods?

I got a jolly logic mini altimeter from Amazon. Quite cheap but effective. Logs the maximum altitude reached or it can give a real time read out (which you can put in the FOV of your camera, I guess). Weighs a couple of ounces only and charges through a USB port. I think it is a key fob thingy for mountaineers.

If privacy is a concern, you can set your profile to private so no one can access it. The data is still saved on the Flytrex server but thats in Israel, I believe, so it should not be a concern. As far as cellular coverage, its no different than your cellphone....if for any reason the service is discontinued, it becomes an expensive paperweight and big brother can most assuredly access the data on your cellphone. The best feature of the Flytrex is "last seen"....if you crash or for any other reason lose power to the Quad, the Flytrex saves the coordinates of its last position so you can recover it. I don't own any stock in their company, but I'm so impressed with their product that I have ordered their new quad, the Flytrex Sky. Thats just me.....to each their own .

Edit: I just saw Clives post about the Jolly Logic altimeter and I wanted to add that I have one also. Its a great little piece of gear and very accurate...if altitude is all you want, this is a good way to go.

I got a jolly logic mini altimeter from Amazon. Quite cheap but effective. Logs the maximum altitude reached or it can give a real time read out (which you can put in the FOV of your camera, I guess). Weighs a couple of ounces only and charges through a USB port. I think it is a key fob thingy for mountaineers.

Thanks Clive.
After some thinking, I think I want full telemetry now. I think also having the exact coordinates could help recover the quad in case of a mishap.

Still, I might check into that for my other quad :)

Thanks Clive.
After some thinking, I think I want full telemetry now. I think also having the exact coordinates could help recover the quad in case of a mishap.

Still, I might check into that for my other quad :)

How will you get full telemetry?

My bird usually starts flights in the woods, where the phone doesn't work anyway. I'm still searching for an extremely lightweight tracking device.

How will you get full telemetry?

My bird usually starts flights in the woods, where the phone doesn't work anyway. I'm still searching for an extremely lightweight tracking device.

I'm considering buying a Marco Polo for locating remains.
Dont know what FrSKY has to offer but looking into that.

Although not a huge need for P1 I bought a used Marco Polo off eBay a few weeks ago and it’s pretty darn cool. Especially if you’re gonna operate in sketchy cell coverage areas. I tested it out about 1 mile suburban, rolling hill terrain.

You can save 30-35g buying the RC tracker (12G) instead of the Pet collar (45G) tracker.

I’m probably gonna bite the bullet and buy the RC tag to save a few grams then perhaps sell the Pet tag. My dog doesn’t run off so I don’t really need it although Pet tag does strap nicely to the rear legs and helps counter-balance the GoPro/Gimbal/TX. Just weighs a tad more than their RC tag.

Awesome. Keep us posted when you test it at longer distances.

I'm getting one because I have other RC aircraft and will probably get a P3P after all the beta testing is completed ;-)

But when I'm not using it for RC, I can attach the transponder it to my set of keys.

Just get a Flytrex Core V2 - very small circuit board that patches in between the GPS feed and the main board.. Needs a small capacity (2Gb will be more than ample) micro SD card to store the flight GPS data.

This includes GPS location, altitude and speed etc... upload to the Flytrex site and share it.. or not.. it's upto you.

If Flytrex close then you can still use it with third party applications to see the data.

Here's mine fitted to the side of the P2:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Flytrex has a couple of issues for me.

One - It depends on THEIR server. While their intentions are good, things happen. Companies run into trouble and close up shop etc. Now if I could pay $3 a month and have the data sent directly to MY phone then we're in business. I wonder if I use a phone of my own and a SIM card from my carrier in the Flytrex if it would send the data to my phone directly?

Two - Not sure how their system works but if the whole world can see my flights, if I crash anyone could locate my lost drone before I do.

What I want is a set up like the Phantom 2 vision or P3 where I get telemetry sent from the Phantom directly to my device as I pilot the craft. I thought FrSky or another outfit offered such a setup that would work on ANY Phantom?

I am eventually getting a P3P. No hurry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers