Anything stop me from using the NAZA in another frame?

Reaction score
Is there anything that stops us from using the Naza v2 (Phantom 1.1.1) in another frame, like the f450? I assume to complete the transition, all I'd need is a new GPS unit and stand? I thought I read something about there being a difference between the 'retail' Naza V2 and the Phantoms Naza V2, but I forget what those differences were?

Only your imagination if you consider all variables.

I believe the compass is different... I am not the best person to ask though.

Howzit said:
I thought I read something about there being a difference between the 'retail' Naza V2 and the Phantoms Naza V2, but I forget what those differences were?

Not much if anything, if it's the NAZA from a 1.1.1. They're effectively the same as a retail boxed NAZA v2, though the P1 has the proprietary LED and GPS you'll need to replace if you don't want to deal with trying to mount those on a non-Phantom frame (which can be a pain).

The NAZA's in the P2 seem to be the same hardware, with different firmware-level restrictions.

Howzit said:
Is there anything that stops us from using the Naza v2 (Phantom 1.1.1) in another frame, like the f450? I assume to complete the transition, all I'd need is a new GPS unit and stand? I thought I read something about there being a difference between the 'retail' Naza V2 and the Phantoms Naza V2, but I forget what those differences were?

You can buy the NAZA M GPS "puck" & stand (it incorporates the compass) and add the external LED - you'll be good to go.

I'm not sure about the Phantom 1.1.1's NAZA-M, but in the PV2 the NAZA-M is set to D-bus, and till now I did not find a way to change it.
If you want to use any other receiver with it, than make sure it will work in this mode!

That's the one.

Noël said:
I'm not sure about the Phantom 1.1.1's NAZA-M, but in the PV2 the NAZA-M is set to D-bus, and till now I did not find a way to change it.
If you want to use any other receiver with it, than make sure it will work in this mode!

This is concerning. I was planning on going UHF. Any idea if the ezUHF stuff works with d-bus?

Howzit said:
Yea, mine is in D-Bus (NAZA-M v2) as well. Putting it into PPM seems to not register stick movements.

Looks like I may be better off selling the unmolested Phantom and buying the retail NAZA v2 if I want to stay with this flight controller?

That's what I was about to suggest.

Doing a NAZA transplant is only really something to consider after a tragic crash or plunge into lake that damaged a majority of other components.
A new NAZA V2 with GPS puck bundle goes for only $299 now.
may as well just keep the Phantom around for fun/backup or sell it and put the money towards building a more serious quad.

Gizmo3000 said:
Howzit said:
Yea, mine is in D-Bus (NAZA-M v2) as well. Putting it into PPM seems to not register stick movements.

Looks like I may be better off selling the unmolested Phantom and buying the retail NAZA v2 if I want to stay with this flight controller?

That's what I was about to suggest.

Doing a NAZA transplant is only really something to consider after a tragic crash or plunge into lake that damaged a majority of other components.
A new NAZA V2 with GPS puck bundle goes for only $299 now.
may as well just keep the Phantom around for fun/backup or sell it and put the money towards building a more serious quad.

Yea, i'll have to give that some serious thought. I love the phantom for what it is out of the box - stable video, props not within view of the camera, easy to fly, etc. But, my direction in this hobby is going to include low proximity FPV flying behind trees, long range, etc. I'm sold on UHF and didn't even realize my phantom wouldn't take to it. I could probably get over $400 for the phantom and other accessories I've purchased, so that would be a really good start on an f450 (or similar sized) build. Guess we'll see!

The Phantom 2/Vision Nazas are essentially non-transferrable. They have a dew limitations specific to those products (such as d-bus only) but will also not even arm the motors without the p2 smart battery installed.

The phantom 1 Naza is a retail Naza and you can use it in any frame.

I think ezUHF is ppm only. This is the main use case for ppm that long range p2 users are looking for.

ElGuano said:
The Phantom 2/Vision Nazas are essentially non-transferrable. They have a dew limitations specific to those products (such as d-bus only) but will also not even arm the motors without the p2 smart battery installed.

I think ezUHF is ppm only. This is the main use case for ppm that long range p2 users are looking for.

So the p 1.1.1 naza should work in PPM with a new receive,r like ezUHF?

Howzit said:
ElGuano said:

So the p 1.1.1 naza should work in PPM with a new receive,r like ezUHF?
Yes, it should. There are people out there who fly p2s who also keep p1s around for long range because of ezUHF support.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31