Anything I Should Know Before Traveling To Philippines

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm traveling to the Philippines in June for around a month to visit family and want to bring my Phantom 3 with me. What experiences do you guys have with the customs? I've been hearing about confiscations and fines so I've been hesitant on bringing it. Thank you.

Hello!

I literally just sent the CAAP an email regarding my P3P. Hope to hear back from them soon! I'll let you know what I find out!

This is with reference to your e-mail dated 29 June 2015 regarding inquiry for the regulations in operating a UAV for sports and recreational purposes.
The existing regulations on UAVs are applicable to large UAVs only (100kgs [rotorcraft] and above 150kgs [airplane]) and all UAVs used for commercial operations. Thus, small and private UAVs need not be registered with this Authority. If your UAV is a large UAV, the same must be registered. However, guidelines regulating small and private UAV are now being crafted and will be released by 4th quarter of this year.
The following provisions of the Philippine Civil Aviation Regulations Part 11.11 shall be observed when operating a UAV:
11.11.1.2.1 OPERATION NEAR PEOPLE
a)Subject to paragraph (b) and (c), a person shall not operate a UAV within 30 meters of a person who is not directly associated with the operation of the UAV.
b)Paragraph (a) does not apply in relation to a person who stands behind the UAV while it is taking off.
c)Paragraph (a) also does not prevent the operation of a UAV airship within 30 meters of a person if the airship approaches no closer to the person than 10 meters horizontally and 30ft vertically.

11.11.1.3 UAV AREAS OF OPERATION
(a)No person may operate UAV beyond the following envelope unless prior approval has been granted by the Authority:
(1)400ft Above Ground Level (AGL);
(2)10 km radius from the Aerodrome Reference Point (ARP); and
(b)The UAV shall stay clear of populated area unless prior approval has been granted by the Authority.
(c)No person may operate a large and small UAV in a controlled airspace unless a prior certificate of Waiver is issued by the Authority.

Such requirements are based on imminent safety and security concerns which this Authority is mandated to protect for the interest of the greater public.
The operation of a UAV may be allowed in a private open field provided that the UAV stays away from populated areas. In addition thereto, the controller of the UAV needs to acquire a UAV Controller Certificate of Authorization prior to operation of any UAV unit.
Should you have further inquiries, you may call the Regulatory Standards Department, Flight Standards Inspectorate Service, this Authority, at Tel. No.: (02) 879-9227.

Very truly yours,
SHERMAN P. DEL ROSARIO
Administrative Assistant II
Regulatory Standards Development Division
RSD - FSIS
Tel No.: (02) 879-9211

Hello,

Just an update to what I received from the RSD. The reply posted above by JTC is the exact email I received from Mr. Del Rosario, but the only difference was they also attached a signed letter from his Manager that GRANTED me permission to pass the Quadcopter into the Philippines.

I had to purchase a phone card and call CAAP the other night because nothing was received since my initial request. Mr. Del Rosario said that I had to send a "Formal Request to import the drone" into the Phils.

TBH, I wouldn't have brought the Quad without anything saying that I could for fear or confiscation at the Bureau of Customs. Hope this helps, but I'm pretty happy about it. Have you have a great time on your trip, I think I will!!

Hello,

I just returned from my trip to the Philippines and all worked out well. Didn't have a problem flying in or out of Manila. I flew with a GPC Black Limited Edition Phantom 3 Case. I did have a slight problem at the check-in counter because they tried to say that the backpack was too big, even though it fit into the carry-on bin perfectly. Other than that, had no problems getting through Customs, didn't even have to remove the batteries - no one even opened up the bag.

Just like JTC did above, JUST IN CASE, I did also receive an email back from RSD GRANTING me permission to bring my drone into the country of the Philippines. One thing to take note of it that it takes them forever to reply. The night before I left, I had to purchase a phone card and give them a call because I never received a reply. One talking to someone directly, I received confirmation for my Quad within two hours.

Shoot me a like/SUBSCRIBE! I also have a Philippines Playlist of Vlogs if that's your thing! ENJOY :)

so we need that permission prior to travel?
sounds like, 'just go and bring that thing in there!'

I am now in the Philippines. I started in Tampa. No problems checking in and carrying the Pahntom on board as a carry on. At JFK checking in at Emirates, the agent told me "We don't allow drones onboard". I resisted a little and explained the value on the drone and that it was fragile. They put it into a bin and sealed the zippers in the backpack. It arrived in Dubai in good shape. Flew Emirates to Manila and was allowed to carry it on the aircraft. Flew Manila to Bohol on PAL, and again no problems or questions. Customs in all of these places didn't even look at me as I walked confidently to the exit and didn't act nervous or even look at them. Going through all of the security checkpoints again was no problems. Didn't ask to open the backpack at any of the ariports.

Hello,

i was also thinking of getting a confirmation from Mr. Del Rosario (or his Manager) for the Import of my P3P into the Philippines. Could you help me out by telling me which email address you sent your request to? It would be greatly appreciated :)

Hello,

i was also thinking of getting a confirmation from Mr. Del Rosario (or his Manager) for the Import of my P3P into the Philippines. Could you help me out by telling me which email address you sent your request to? It would be greatly appreciated :)
It is not necessary to get permission. They don't care any more than the U.S. TSA.

Hi I'm traveling to the Philippines in November my Question is can I take my P3 with me, I only use it for personal use and I just would like to get some Ariels shots of are holiday. My question us to I need permission to bring it into Philippines ? Or can I just take it in my hand luggage as normal. The research online is very confusing on my query. Your help would be appreciated

Mabuhay! You should have no problem bringing it in to the country nor flying it as long as you apply common sense. Happy flying in the Philippines. The vid below is not me. Just something I stumbled on.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Mabuhay! You should have no problems bringing it in to the country nor flying it as long as you apply common sense. Happy flying in the Philippines. The vid below is not me. Just something I stumbled on.

Hi, Flipsonic, thank you for your reply much appreciated, this kinda puts my mind at ease about taking my P3 with me.

I can't speak for those individuals that work in NAIA or other airports within PI who are corrupt. My comments above are in general. Hopefully with the new President in power, this corruption will be eradicated.

Mabuhay! You should have no problem bringing it in to the country nor flying it as long as you apply common sense. Happy flying in the Philippines. The vid below is not me. Just something I stumbled on.

question is bringing back to US was there any problem from there?

Hey guys, flying to the Philippines in a few days from SFO. Layover in Hong Kong. I've been hearing about a $500 fine for importing the DJI to the PI + needing a license for a large UAV? Are both true to this day? If so, I'm leaving the drone back home! Thanks for any response!

Hey guys, flying to the Philippines in a few days from SFO. Layover in Hong Kong. I've been hearing about a $500 fine for importing the DJI to the PI + needing a license for a large UAV? Are both true to this day? If so, I'm leaving the drone back home! Thanks for any response!

I have never heard of a fine for importing a DJI. Also DJI Phantoms/Mavic are not considered large UAV. Just don't fly within 10km of an airport.

The $500 fines were happening a few years ago. I believe they were being collected by corrupt customs officers.

It's no longer an issue and the Philippine Civil Aviation Authority has clear rules about bringing drones into the country. My only concern would be a corrupt or greedy customs officer targeting me. If I were bringing my drone to the Philippines, I'd bring a copy of the regulations. See the attached PDF.

Mabuhay!

Attachments

• Drone Regs, Philippines.pdf
    33 KB · Views: 1,309
I travel there 3 or 4 x a year and researched a lot before the first drone trip. There are no prohibitions on bring in a phantom. I even got the airline to write me an email confirming their policy on lipo battery carriage as well to be safe. There are a few phantom pilots in phils and i have seen many on my holidays. Be sensible and you will find locals are way more positive and interested in your hobby. I live to fly in the phils as its also super pictueresque and liberal.

Sent from my SM-G930F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20