Anyone using this prop balancer for the Phantom 3?

I use the Speedy TM prop balancer with my Phantom 3 props. It works well.

Reactions: FASTFJR
I use Scotch tape, but either method is fine.

That would be tough to answer since we don't know how balanced your props are right now. In general, it allows the Phantom to fly with less effort. That means it should also have less wear and tear on the motors, gimbal, etc.

How much of a difference does balancing do?
I can make a significant difference in photography. With unbalanced props I would get a vibration every 5-6 seconds that could ruin the footage. Much of the time it wasn't very visible, some of the time it made all the difference in the world. I use nail polish. The only downside to that is that it has to dry and that can actually change the balance a bit. I don't like tape because it can fall off and I don't like sandpaper because it's too fiddly and slow.

I don't like tape because it can fall off
Use a good quality tape (e.g. Scotch) and make sure the prop is clean before applying the tape. That should prevent it from falling off.

I bought the speedy but did not like it. Then I bought the dubro and used the rod from the speedy. The dubro is much better.

I've never used a balancer, heck I never check my props. I'm on my 3rd Phantom and have never had an issue until Sunday. Started up as normal and when it got about 4-5ft high I noticed a wobble I had never seen before. The legs had a wobble and so did two of the arms. I shut it right down and checked everything. All was in place and tight, no cracks, motor tights etc.... I threw on a brand new set up props and that help a lot. Not sure what else to check, just funny how I've been flying for three years and never hit anything, not even a blade of grass and one day this wobble develops......

I've never used a balancer, heck I never check my props. I'm on my 3rd Phantom and have never had an issue until Sunday. Started up as normal and when it got about 4-5ft high I noticed a wobble I had never seen before. The legs had a wobble and so did two of the arms. I shut it right down and checked everything. All was in place and tight, no cracks, motor tights etc.... I threw on a brand new set up props and that help a lot. Not sure what else to check, just funny how I've been flying for three years and never hit anything, not even a blade of grass and one day this wobble develops......
There has been a low speed wobble associated with the 1.5 firmware update, presumably fixed by the 1.6. My wobbles that have been fixed by balancing are only seen on video (4K). I cannot tell if the props are balanced or not just looking at the drone.

Reactions: FASTFJR
1.6 LOL, I thought 1.5.3 was the most recent. I'll guess I'll be updating tonight

Thanks

With all the junk email I get from DJI you would think the least they could do is send you an email when a firmware is out LOL

Last edited:
Anyone know what size prop balancing rod the standard would need. I see a lot of quad copter balancing rods on eBay for threaded props like the phantoms have. I have a phantom 3 standard. Looking like a 6mm?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1