Anyone using the Strong Arm kit from UAVBITS for stress cracks?

I emailed UAVbits inquiring about a version of the StrongArms that would accept prop guards. Gary indicated they would possibly be available in about two weeks.

Reactions: Jbundy63
After reading and seeing all of these stress crack posts, I installed mine before the first flight. So far, so good. Will report after 12-15 flights or so.

I have a set on order for mine. I think I might put a thin layer of Goop adhesive between them and the arms and lightly tighten them in place. Let it set over night and then finish tightening them down. Just to keep the strong arm plates from distorting.

Is there anyone using the UAV BITS set who also uses a Drone Crates case or another precut, perfectly fitted case?

I ask because it looks like the UAV BITS set enlarges the ends of the arms enough so that the P3 will no longer sit snug inside the case foam. That will raise the props enough to bend even more than they do already when the lid is closed. It will also lift the Phantom up from it's feet when in the case, so closing the lid will put upward pressure on the arms of the Phantom.

Of course I could cut away the foam myself, but I have seen so many pictures of awful looking self cut foam in cases.

What are the thoughts of crate users out there? No issue, or something to worry about?

I bought a case with the foam insert and it fits just fine (maybe even more snug). But I didn't spend much on my case and the foam quality may not be what a $150 case offers. Link

How about the fit of those parts? They have to be very exact otherwise they can move and wiggle a bit and maybe cause stress again. And whats the weight of one piece?
all four pieces and all the screws total weight is 28.1 grams

Is there anyone using the UAV BITS set who also uses a Drone Crates case or another precut, perfectly fitted case?

I ask because it looks like the UAV BITS set enlarges the ends of the arms enough so that the P3 will no longer sit snug inside the case foam. That will raise the props enough to bend even more than they do already when the lid is closed. It will also lift the Phantom up from it's feet when in the case, so closing the lid will put upward pressure on the arms of the Phantom.

Of course I could cut away the foam myself, but I have seen so many pictures of awful looking self cut foam in cases.

What are the thoughts of crate users out there? No issue, or something to worry about?

I emailed UAV bits (Gary) about this recently. After my email he said he would be add some to the site without the rounded edges so they would fit into more cases. I already cut my hardshell case to fit the version with the rounded edges. Wasn't a big deal but I would have preferred to not have to cut my case.

Reactions: Oso
I've just ordered a set today, if you speak to them direct (email/phone) they will advise you on the easiest postal service without it costing a fortune. I paid $6 to get them sent to the UK
Is there a UK dealer to buy them here in the UK?

It is my understanding that blue locktite should never get near your Phantom as it will react with the "plastic" shell and destroy it. I am using white elmers glue as recommended by Gary from UAV bits himself.
I used threadlocker blue on p2v+ shell when i first got into this hobby, within a couple months every screwhole had crumbled and deteriorated forcing me to use electric tape to hold the arms together til i reshelled it

I used a a 10" round metal kabob skewer heated up with torch kit to cutout my case foam and make long deep smooth cuts. Try it on a small spot or accessory hole first to see if it works for your foam. Might have to reheat for long cuts. Nice results for me

Reactions: Oso
I've used hot glue gun, works great, used it to hold my gimbal guard instead of zip ties and repaired prop protectors also

I noticed the stock screws for the motors had lock-tight on them from the factory. But I will take Gary's advice on the Elmers glue.

Just finished stress testing the new reinforcement plates. I ended up using white nail polish for thread locking. After 23 minutes of flying like a mad man going up, down, left and right. I'm pleased to say, the screws did not come undone. I just tried to tighten down the screws to see if it came loose, only 1 wasn't 'snug' (motor mount screw). Could of been my fault for not tightening it down more. When I tighten that screw, I turned it 2 milometers and I heard a slight crack. I wasn't torquing it at all. Could of been the nail polish cracking. Would I need to reapply nail polish again to that one screw, or should I be okay?

Attachments

• 12191628_10153403389894055_2496466623385643457_n.jpg
    12191628_10153403389894055_2496466623385643457_n.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 496
Just finished stress testing the new reinforcement plates. I ended up using white nail polish for thread locking. After 23 minutes of flying like a mad man going up, down, left and right. I'm pleased to say, the screws did not come undone. I just tried to tighten down the screws to see if it came loose, only 1 wasn't 'snug' (motor mount screw). Could of been my fault for not tightening it down more. When I tighten that screw, I turned it 2 milometers and I heard a slight crack. I wasn't torquing it at all. Could of been the nail polish cracking. Would I need to reapply nail polish again to that one screw, or should I be okay?
The answer to that question is whatever makes you feel comfortable. If you are worried about it -- do it again. Cheers:)

Reactions: Kevin Cabral
The answer to that question is whatever makes you feel comfortable. If you are worried about it -- do it again. Cheers:)

I suppose I'll leave it as is do a few test flights see if the screws come undone after I tightened it a tad bit more. When I tightened down the retention screws, I kept tightening until it was snug and wouldn't turn anymore. Hopefully it holds up and nothing cracks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20