Anyone using the Flytrex module? Can it cause problems?

Reaction score
I ordered a Flytrex unit and got it in on Friday. Super simple to install and mount to the exterior of my phantom. I flew it once quickly and pulled down the telemetry data, and it all looked great. Flew it again today, and had a weird light issue on the phantom, where after everything was locked in, when I went to fly I was getting an alternating green and then a single red back and forth, and then I was getting a quick 'double green' when it was in hover, which was weird. Things went back to all green so I flew it, but lost sight of the craft and felt like it had flown away.

I immediately switched to failsafe on my GPS/ATTI/FS switch, and then waited a second and turned off the remote.

I was sure it was gone, but then AGAIN the crazy thing showed up back at the house right where I had taken off. SAVED by the return home again!

I'm not sure if maybe I just lost sight of it on my own this time, or if there could have been some interference from the Flytrex unit (maybe it caused interference with the GPS inline to the unit?)

Just wondering if anyone else has used this unit with success, or had any issues.

Thanks!
Adam

I have a flytrex on my phantom 2, and have about 20 flights with it with no problem. Did you calibrate the compass after installing it? If not, that can cause some weirdness. I think the one intermittent red flash is a warning it doesn't have an optimum number of satellites locked in.
When you lost sight of it, was it flying off away from you with no input from the stick?
I have used my phantom 2 with flytrex only, and also with fpv, and haven't seen it cause any interference at all.

I also have had many flights with my flytrex with no out of the ordinary behaviour. I'm sure it would of been flagged up as a fault but have not heard any issues what so ever. I'm sure it's been thoroughly tested for interference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flytrex is pretty reliable from most accounts.

Two quick green blinks during hover, repeating, indicates "non-centered sticks in GPS mode." That's not typically related to a GPS issue, so I'd check your TX calibration and receiver input on the NAZA to make sure that's secure. Probably not the flytrex causing the issue...

Great info guys! I absolutely meant to recalibrate the compass and forgot to do so. I will check that as well as the remote calibration and should be good. Glad to hear everyone is enjoying the Flytrex!

I saw a software DashWare that marries together the Flytrex data and overlays it on your GoPro footage... looks really neat. Anyone using it? Is it worth the $50 in your opinion?

Dashware is the butter to Flytrex's bread. Without it, the data you get from the Flytrex is bland and dry...not totally without value, but goes down hard :D

Seriously though, Dashware is what breathes life into all the numbers Flytrex spits out for you, and gives you a way to use it that's easy to digest. Well worth the $50 if you already have the Flytrex.

Awesome thanks! I do have the Flytrex, so I'll go get the Dashware product and start playing!

I believe you still have to ingest the data on Flytrex site and then export it as CSV correct? Would be nice if Dashware could take in the native file without the other steps, but it is what it is I suppose!

Looking forward to trying it out!
Adam

I'm pulling my hair out. Cannot find ANYWHERE on the Flytrex profile page to export my flight data to CSV? There's supposed to be a 'down arrow' but I sure don't have one. Any hints on how I can get this data converted? I have purchased Dashware and am excited to test it!

Thanks,
Adam

Did you upload the mission data to the site first? When you look at any mission on your profile page, the "down arrow" you're looking for is in the top right of that mission, next to the flag of your country.

Well. I know. It should be! But it's not? I have the map, and a US flag, but there's no arrow there. It's not anywhere. I reviewed a gentlemen's YouTube video, and have uploaded multiple FPV file missions successfully, but there's simply not the arrow he has in the video on my Profile page. Not in IE / Chrome or Firefox. It looks like they changed the profile page and omitted this option. I'm pulling my hair out! Will send a screenshot over.

Here's a screenshot...

flytrex.jpg

Looks like the title of your aircraft has so many characters in it that it's causing issues with the flag and menu rendering properly. Edit your aircraft to make the title shorter and you might be able to get the menu arrow. I just give mine a short title, and list the accessories in the "parts list" below the picture (the one you uploaded).

You are looking at the flight itself, back out to view a list of all your flights and each flight will have an arrow on it.

Look next to the USA flag

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    555.7 KB · Views: 399
FDNY - I was at the main profile page. OI Photography - I edited my Phantom name to something much shorter, and it works perfectly! Thanks so much for that crazy advice that I NEVER would have thought of myself. Much appreciated!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj