Anyone using Marco polo tracker in australia

Reaction score
Hi There - looking at using a marco polo traker for my P4 in australia - is there any users in oz out there that can relay information if they are useable here ? All help greatly appreciated - seabird P4

Hi, greetings from WA, I'm looking at both the Trakimo and Marco Polo options but both have either monthly fees or other limitations. The drone supplier I use in Perth is currently trialling another device that is significantly cheaper and more suitable for use in the forests where I live. I'll post up the findings this week if this device looks the goods.

The Marco Polo tracker uses a radio signal to track, so you can use it worldwide. One of the benefits is that is has no monthly fee. You can find more details about it on the manufacturer's website.

Reactions: SeabirdP4
Hi Tevek - I am also in perth -will be very interested in the results from the tracker you are going to provide details on. I will wait on the sidelines and thanks for your assistance. I was leaning towards the marco polo unit but thought it a bit strange there is no dealer in australia - which raised the question are they legal for use in Oz ?

Hi Tevek - I am also in perth -will be very interested in the results from the tracker you are going to provide details on. I will wait on the sidelines and thanks for your assistance. I was leaning towards the marco polo unit but thought it a bit strange there is no dealer in australia - which raised the question are they legal for use in Oz ?

Hi there, I can't see why there would be any issues with them as they are a location device much like the Epirb I use out in the bush (except the latter has to be registered due it's intended use). As for retailers, there are a few like riseabove that stock the alternative Trackimo (which requires registration and a subscription) and I'm pretty sure the chap in Hamilton Hill can get either types from what he was saying during our last chat. Hope to find out more this week and will post up the results.

Hi again, just spoke with Ben from Drones2 and he has a tracker unit that operates from your cellular network and it is compatible with the P4. Retails for $60. I guess if you have network coverage, it's fine but obviously not as reliable or provide the coverage as one supported by GPS. I'm going to try one and report back.

Reactions: JCP10
Hi everyone - I am looking for unit that does not rely on the phone system to operate as I will be flying in very remote areas a fair bit in about 6 months time (currently flying in perth)- I thought there would be more people using a marco polo in australia and if they aren't using it, is there any reason - Ie problems / no service dealer etc etc ? Regards seabird4

Hi, greetings from WA, I'm looking at both the Trakimo and Marco Polo options but both have either monthly fees or other limitations. The drone supplier I use in Perth is currently trialling another device that is significantly cheaper and more suitable for use in the forests where I live. I'll post up the findings this week if this device looks the goods.

Is the only difference between the dog track version and the drone track version the packaging of the transmitter? - reason I ask is that Amazon will send me the dog one for $8.60 shipping to New Zealand, but the shipping of the drone one on UAVFind is $45 shipping. I could draw a picture of a pooch on my drone if that is the case.

Is the only difference between the dog track version and the drone track version the packaging of the transmitter? - reason I ask is that Amazon will send me the dog one for $8.60 shipping to New Zealand, but the shipping of the drone one on UAVFind is $45 shipping. I could draw a picture of a pooch on my drone if that is the case.
The transmitter on the RC version is about .half the weight other than that I've read of people using them on their RC's. The animal version advertises that the battery will last for 45 days while the RC model last for 30 days. I think I even read somewhere where a fellow removed the plastic shell used on the animal version but can't remember for sure. I use Marco Polo RC version.

Hi There - looking at using a marco polo traker for my P4 in australia - is there any users in oz out there that can relay information if they are useable here ? All help greatly appreciated - seabird P4
Like stated, they work anywhere because they don't rely on cell service. I use Marco Polo because here in the midwest there are areas that have no cell service.

RF-v16 are bringing out a 3G version soon .I asked an Aust guy selling them on EBay .It needs cell service but there isn't a yearly fee .They look promising

Just be a bit careful. Some of these trackers operate on the same frequencies as emergency services here in Aust and are there for illegal .Im not sure about Marco Polo but I did look into another one from the US .Probably no problem if you are out west.
I looked into Trackimo $200 plus $120/year after the first year ! There are others out there working on a small 3/4g gps but are not quite there yet (no monthly fees and half the price).

Thanks for the heads up! A good thought but fortunately the Marco Polo Tracker tab and finder operate between the frequencies of 902.5Mhz and 906.5Mhz which will not bring the device into conflict with any designated emergency frequency including epirbs and the like within Australia or it's coastal waters.
Also due to it's low power output of 250mW, and intermittent signal, any interference to someone operating on the Marco Polo frequency would be negligible. As for countries other than Australia, best do your own research.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl