Anyone using a Tracker? Recommendations?

So is Marco Polo the only tracker that doesn't require cell signal and a monthly fee?

It becomes clearer with practice. It's a very discreet science, listening to "fuzzy" tones getting clearer, etc. Also, you might try squelch turned off on the radio. I find that the audio/power tone differences become clearer. The static is annoying as hell, though. Always carry a map and a compass. If you get a good clear bearing, draw that bearing line on the map from your position. Move 300 yards right or left from facing toward that heading. Repeat the measurement, and draw the bearing line from that position. Where the two cross will be the ballpark location of the beacon. It can save some time.

I used a 2-wire pair wire stripped from an old IDE hard drive cable to wire the buzzer. It's tiny, and is very handy for a lot of small connections. The buzzer has to draw <10ma so as to not overload the output of the IC. You do need a tiny iron, magnification, and a steady hand to solder the wire to that resistor. You won't get much distance on the buzzer if ambient sound is loud, but anything is better than norhing.

You can buy it on ebay for $4.50 w/ free shipping. I picked up a few.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231608421027?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82
View attachment 28041

Thanks CapnBob for all the input.
I found the buzzer yesterday on Ebay and ordered one.

Hoping to get out this week before I have to go back on the road and try this some more.
Triangulation should definitely get me a lot closer. Finding a paper map may be harder than finding the quad if it goes down. :)

I'll let you know how it goes after some practice.

Thanks,
Sam

So is Marco Polo the only tracker that doesn't require cell signal and a monthly fee?
No, there are other RC trackers out there that are RF types. However Marco Polo is probably the easiest to use and ready to go on the market. Small package too.

Here's where I have my Marco Polo Tracker attached.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440032880.754946.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440032896.446071.jpg

I always cache my local area Google Maps on my android phone before flying. No paper maps needed.

Thanks CapnBob for all the input.
I found the buzzer yesterday on Ebay and ordered one.

Hoping to get out this week before I have to go back on the road and try this some more.
Triangulation should definitely get me a lot closer. Finding a paper map may be harder than finding the quad if it goes down. :)

I'll let you know how it goes after some practice.

Thanks,
Sam

Reactions: ATPUFS
I have been seriously thinking about a Marco Polo RC but I can't help to think that It's lack of range may come back to bite me. If for whatever reason the bird goes cray cray early in a flight and you lose the app and telemetry data through the app etc. that P3 with a very large percentage of battery life left could go off and fly very far like over double digit miles away. There's no way your going to find that P3. The MP's range is said to be 1 mile under ideal conditions and more like half a mile in tress and brush. I'm really leaning towards FlyTrex 3G for this reason. They cost about the same apart from $10 every 3 months for the H2O pre-paid plan.

The downside of FlyTrex 3G is 3G coverage in the boonies. In cases like that sure go with the MP, something is better than nothing. Ideally it might be best to use both?

Got the dog one did ya? Is it a lot heavier?
LOL Yeah I know. It's not been a problem at all, it weight 1-3/4 ounce and has made no difference at all in flying or staying (hovering) stationary. I wasn't sure when I picked it up but seems to work great.

LOL Yeah I know. It's not been a problem at all, it weight 1-3/4 ounce and has made no difference at all in flying or staying (hovering) stationary. I wasn't sure when I picked it up but seems to work great.

I haven t mounted mine yet. Just got it in days ago but I was thinking about this guys setup with a plastic corner molding from the hardware store

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440040008.294333.jpg

I have been seriously thinking about a Marco Polo RC but I can't help to think that It's lack of range may come back to bite me. If for whatever reason the bird goes cray cray early in a flight and you lose the app and telemetry data through the app etc. that P3 with a very large percentage of battery life left could go off and fly very far like over double digit miles away. There's no way your going to find that P3. The MP's range is said to be 1 mile under ideal conditions and more like half a mile in tress and brush. I'm really leaning towards FlyTrex 3G for this reason. They cost about the same apart from $10 every 3 months for the H2O pre-paid plan.

The downside of FlyTrex 3G is 3G coverage in the boonies. In cases like that sure go with the MP, something is better than nothing. Ideally it might be best to use both?

This seems to be my problem, I understand the whole 'gotta pay to play' thing but every tracker seems either really expensive or a little less expensive but requires cell signal. I usually fly in very remote areas and think most trackers would be useless. Maybe I'm asking too much to get a cheap non-cell signal tracker...I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Reactions: iquadtography
Keep in mind you have an idea which direction your p3 went. Hopefully you will also have something from your log that will give you a rough idea of location. Let your mp do the rest.

Will any of these devices interfere with the aircraft's compass?

I know for sure the mp does not. It's actually in a sleep mode until activated by the hand held unit thus all it does is sniff every 10 seconds for the activation signal.

I always cache my local area Google Maps on my android phone before flying. No paper maps needed.

Yeah, I was looking at Google maps for that very reason. Thought I'd dig out an old plotter and print an area, then have someone drop the transmitter in a box and see if I can find it.

IThanks guys. Just curious if the metal in the device will affect the Phantom, if any induction from activation may play with compass readings.

I'm seriously considering reboot81's $77 setup. Will be interesting to see how it went when he reports back :)

Reactions: reboot81
See my post about a UHF RF beacon. No Cell or GPS signals needed. Range is ~1/2 mile in terrain. About $50 including the radio (Baofeng UV-5R)

This seems to be my problem, I understand the whole 'gotta pay to play' thing but every tracker seems either really expensive or a little less expensive but requires cell signal. I usually fly in very remote areas and think most trackers would be useless. Maybe I'm asking too much to get a cheap non-cell signal tracker...I'll keep my fingers crossed.

There's a whole hobby built on this; "Fox Hunting". Google it. They have competitions where someone plants a transmitter, and there is a race to see who can find it first. It can be fun, and help you find your $1500 drone as well. ;-)

Yeah, I was looking at Google maps for that very reason. Thought I'd dig out an old plotter and print an area, then have someone drop the transmitter in a box and see if I can find it.

Reactions: ATPUFS

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20