Anyone used these yet?

Reaction score
Ordered a set of these off ebay, curious if anyone has used them yet? I know read that some have used the CF props that U must bolt on, but didn't notice anyone that used the self-tightening type, exactly like the original equipment for the F2V? Anyway this is the page from the set I ordered on ebay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-04-01-47-48.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-04-01-47-48.png
    374.5 KB · Views: 898
I have seen a lot of people complaining that they are very commonly unbalanced. Honestly, I wouldn't use them. What would they buy you, maybe an extra minute of flight time ?

The extra risk posed by the increased damage that would be done if by some unfortunate accident the PV2 hit anyone is enough to put me off switching to c/f. It would be bad enough with the stock props.

Same here. That increased risk just isn't worth it. Safety first. And then safety. After that safety. Followed by safety. And when you've considered safety and safety you finally end up with safety as an important concern. ;)

It's aviation people! People only travel by planes because in civil aviation it's all about safety, and the safety of safety.

The fun CAN turn into a nightmare. Fortunately most people luck out but a serious accident WILL happen sooner or later. We only have to wait. Try to make sure you won't be the one being mentioned in THAT news item. How about:

"Irresponsible neighbour's heavily modified drone crashes in play ground causing child to lose eye."
"He dreamed of becoming a pilot. Now he'll be grounded forever."

Imagine the repercussions of such an event. We ALL share responsibility to keep the consequences of crashes to a minimum to ensure we ALL can keep flying our Phantoms.

Big Ben said:
Same here. That increased risk just isn't worth it. Safety first. And then safety. After that safety. Followed by safety. And when you've considered safety and safety you finally end up with safety as an important concern. ;)

It's aviation people! People only travel by planes because in civil aviation it's all about safety, and the safety of safety.

The fun CAN turn into a nightmare. Fortunately most people luck out but a serious accident WILL happen sooner or later. We only have to wait. Try to make sure you won't be the one being mentioned in THAT news item. How about:

"Irresponsible neighbour's heavily modified drone crashes in play ground causing child to lose eye."
"He dreamed of becoming a pilot. Now he'll be grounded forever."

Imagine the repercussions of such an event. We ALL share responsibility to keep the consequences of crashes to a minimum to ensure we ALL can keep flying our Phantoms.

I couldn't agree more... As an FAA employee involved it the SRM process (Safety Risk Management) I'm constantly amazed by some of the videos that are posted here and on youtube. Many people don't seem to realize the liability of flying the equivilent of a "rabid dog attached to the weedeater of death" around people and property. As you said, "it's just a matter of time...".

I do not know what it is like in the US but here in the UK, the politicians have become so reactive and will jump onto any bandwagon that will give them political kudos. They just have to be seen to be doing something. I genuinely think it is odds on that our hobby will be subjected to some kind of legislation in the next few years. Any serious accident will just hasten the process.

Sorry to continue o/t

I bought a set of those and also the balancing rod available on another thread here. The props seem to be good quality they are definitely stiffer, as soon as I receive the balancing rod I will balance them and give them a try. I will let you guys know.

I prefer the stock prop. In case of a binding issue I hope the prop will break-a-way instead of burning out a motor or worse yet cutting off a digit. I would like these on an rc boat.. :)

pault said:
I do not know what it is like in the US but here in the UK, the politicians have become so reactive and will jump onto any bandwagon that will give them political kudos. They just have to be seen to be doing something. I genuinely think it is odds on that our hobby will be subjected to some kind of legislation in the next few years. Any serious accident will just hasten the process.

Sorry to continue o/t

We already are. Sections 166 & 167 of the Air Navigation Order detail specifically what you can and can't legally do with your Vision, and the ANO s 138 is a pretty good catch-all that states you must not recklessly or negligently cause or permit an aircraft to endanger any person or property. You are also able to do paid aerial work with your quad in the UK subject to gaining a CAA Permission (after jumping through a few hoops regarding qualifications, insurance, etc).

Sorry to continue the continued o/t :oops:

Pull_Up said:
pault said:

Sorry to continue o/t

We already are. Sections 166 & 167 of the Air Navigation Order detail specifically what you can and can't legally do with your Vision, and the ANO s 138 is a pretty good catch-all that states you must not recklessly or negligently cause or permit an aircraft to endanger any person or property. You are also able to do paid aerial work with your quad in the UK subject to gaining a CAA Permission (after jumping through a few hoops regarding qualifications, insurance, etc).

Sorry to continue the continued o/t :oops:
Yes, I should have made it more clear, I meant there will be compulsory licencing to fly anything outdoors in public places over a certain weight, say 100g

Sorry to continue etc etc

Well my new CF Props arrived. They install as simple as the OE props. They are of excellent quality and look great. So much for the aesthetics already!! how do they perform,right??
I ran several tests based on my personal criteria for buying them in the 1st place. The most obvious comparision between the Stock Props (original equipment) & the Carbon Fiber Props **(based on manufacturer that is shown on my ebay inital post-since several other folks are making these after market props)
Using the new CF props I immediately noticed increased thrust & crisper controls. I could notice the significant thrust increase from a distance, but while standing underneath the craft, you truly notice! As far as the flight time difference I didn't quantify it. It may be slightly longer, but thats not why I bought them.
Now the added benefit or liability depending on your preference, is the SEXY ROAR
of the prop wash! Reminded me of my helicopter flying days, that deep thumping pulse sound-WHOMP-WHOMP-WHOMP is heard overhead from the CF Props chopping up the air!! Now if "noise abatement", is an issue for you, better stick with the OE props.

The BALANCE of the CF Props are exactly the same as the OE props. Both exceptional. I took still pics & shot video of the same thing at same distance & received the exact same results of photo/video quality!!!

The safety issue was brought up & discussed using these CF Props. Trust me when I tell you that I found out in the worst way the safety issue using CF Props! 1st off we had a local expert die about 9 yrs ago from the blade strike of a R/C helo to his EJ vein! Furthermore I experienced first hand horror after nearly loosing 2 fingers from a CF Prop blade strike 3 yrs ago. Funny short story, positive ending. I was admiring my 1st high-performance 6ch 500 size R/C Helo. I had just taken it out of the box & spent hours with the assembly. It was too late at night to fly it, so I just wanted to see it idle while sitting on my workbench. While standing 10' away @ about waist high I gently goosed the throttle some. Just before turning it off & going to bed, I decided to flip a mysterious toggle switch whose purpose was unknown to me at the time. The radio-controller is basicslly similar to the P2V. The difference was more channels than the 4 I had been using. This controller had a extra switch located same spot as ours in the left side. So out of curiosity I flipped it up & BLAM I had the 36" CF Prop coming at me spinning @2000 RPM! Imagine someone tossing a Skillsaw with ripping teeth full power at your head. Lucky for me I had enough reaction time to throw my hands up in front of my face. My pinky finger on the right-hand was cut to the bone & broken in 2 places.The ring finger on the same hand was also cut to the bone.
The P2V is MUCH SAFER OVERALL compared to a R/C helo IMHO. So for my own needs and comfort, I'm going to stick with using the new CF PROPS for now. I plan on ordering several more sets, and will keep the OE props for spares. I feel that the risk of using them with this very safe platform is well worth it. But thats me....

MOOSE

Moose said:
Well my new CF Props arrived. They install as simply as the OE props. They are of excellent quality and look great. So much for the aesthetics already!! how do they perform?? I ran several tests based on my personal criteria for buying them in the 1st place. The most obvious being the comparision between the Stock Props (original equipment) & the Carbon Fiber Props **(based on manufacturer that is shown on my ebay inital post-since several other folks are making these after market props)
Using the new CF props noticed increased thrust & crisper controls of the craft. I could notice the significant thrust increase from a distance, but while standing underneath the craft you truly notice the difference! As far as the flight time difference I didn't quantify it. It may be slightly longer, but thats not why I bought them.
Now the added benefit or liability depending on your preference, is the SEXY ROAR of the prop wash! Reminded me of my helicopter flying days, that deep thumping pulse sound heard from the CF Props chopping up the air!! Now if "noise abatement", is an issue for you, better stick with the OE props.

The BALANCE of the CF Props are exactly the same as the OE props. I took still pics & shot video of the same thing at same distance & received the exact same results.

The safety issue was brought up & discussed using these CF Props. Trust me when I tell you that I found out in the worst way the safety issue using CF Props! 1st off we had a local expert die from the blade strike of a R/C helo to the EJ vein! Furthermore I experienced first hand horror after nearly loosing 2 fingers from a CF Prop blade strike 3 yrs ago. Funny short story, positive ending. I was admiring my 1st high-performance 6ch 500 size R/C Helo. I had just taken it out of the box & spent hours with the assembly. It was too late at night to fly it, so I just wanted to see it idle while sitting on my workbench. While standing 10' away @ about waist high I gently goosed the throttle some. Just before turning it off & going to bed, I decided to flip a mysterious toggle switch whose purpose was unknown to me at the time. The radio-controller is basicslly similar to the P2V. The difference was more channels than the 4 I had been using. This controller had a extra switch located same spot as ours in the left side. So out of curiosity I flipped it up & BLAM I had the 36" CF Prop coming at me spinning @2000 RPM! Imagine someone tossing a Skillsaw with ripping teeth full power at your head. Lucky for me I had enough reaction time to throw my hands up in front of my face. My pinky finger on the right-hand was cut to the bone & broken in 2 places.The ring finger on the same hand was also cut to the bone.
Now the P2V is MUCH SAFER OVERALL compared to a R/C helo IMHO, in so many different areas. But I'm about the it is possible to use the P2V with its OE plastic props without

similar to what happened to me. Some years ago, i picked up a 3d heli. I had it in my living room trying to get it to hover....so im spooling this thing up and it would not get off the floor. im trying like crazy..motor screaming and everything..finally i flippped a switch on the controller and son of a gun shot up and to the left hitting my flat screen TV leaving a 4 1/2" crack right on the screen. I was lucky that it didnt hit me..i would have been toast! lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers