Anyone used a Ricoh Theta S on their P3 Yet??

Reaction score
Hey guys, I ordered a Ricoh Theta S today (from Japan) and found this video where this guy just hung it from the bottom of his P2. I am wondering if any of ya'll have played around with this 360 degree camera on your P3. This looks very very cool and I bet this is the type cams we see on the Phantoms in the coming future.

Aerial 360° video made with a Phantom 1 #drone ! #thetaM15 #theta360

This is a 360 degree video. Here is his Youtube video.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You still need a 2 gimbal or some sort of stabilisation.
Another issue is the legs - you need retracts.
I'm looking at the Nikon Key Mission and the Samsung Gear 360 mounted on a re-jigged P2 H3-2D.

I've done it, but the quality of video on the theta S isn't all that great. Instead, I put it on time lapse mode and then just let it do its own thing. Here's a link to the picture I took. 360 view over PB pier #sandiego #theta360
Cool picture! The problem with just hanging it from a wire is that it is off center (tilted) due to wind. My idea was to find out the "bottom dead center" of the gimbal (meaning where is the exact spot on the bottom of the camera), mount a 1/4x20 screw to it (via epoxy or hot glue), then attach the Theta S directly to the bottom of the P3 Pro camera. By placing it in the exact dead center for the gimbal, there would be no weight issue and I would keep the P3 Camera pointing directly at 90 degrees for the entire flight since it would be for the purpose of using the Theta.

While this idea seems good to me it may be a total flop when I try it. I am hoping someone out there would have a template that shows the precise bottom dead center location so that I could make sure my stud for mounting the Theta was perfectly centered.

And I would just make a take off pad so that the camera could hang down below the landing gear and hand catch it for landing. Also, my thought is I would attach the Theta to the stud on the camera after the camera has initialized.

I am going to play with the Theta S on my P3 this week. What I have learned about the Theta S is that it has a gyro in it. So it does not really matter if the camera is tilted or not. What becomes important is that if you have bright sun closer to the horizon, (ie mornings and afternoons), then you want the edge of the Theta S facing the bright light. This can be easily accomplished on the P3 using Litchi to keep the P3 facing one direction (the light source). I am going to test having the Theta S mounted on top of the P3 as well as mounted under it. The quality of the Theta pictures are ok, but do not allow for a tremendous amount of zoom. But for the cost and size, the camera is awesome. You can bet one thing for sure, within a year, we will see 360 cameras be very common on these drones. We will have a cube sized small spherical camera instead of a gimbal under the drone that will take amazing 360 pics. I see our phones doing the same within 1-2 years. Great stuff!!

mountaindr3wz - I tried mounting the theta using those items (CF plate and a 1/4" 20 screw) and the result was mad vibrations. Could you take a shot of your setup? Are you getting any vibrations at all?

I have not played with it yet but that is on my to-do list. I have been working on my long distance setup :) I need to film and photo some property asap so I will use it doing that and see how it goes. I will post some pics after I get that done. Hopefully others who are playing around with this will show their success. I think that hanging it will be the way to go instead of attaching it directly to the P3 frame (or gimbal protection plate). I think the P3 is going to have way too much movement. Where if you hang it from a short wire, it will not be near as jerky.

.i bought a theta s camera,and now i want to attach it on my phantom 2...what do you think will wifi sensor on theta s camera will be a problem during the flight for phantom 2,because a want to shoot picture via my aplication on android phone??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic