Anyone use there drone for mapping their hunting land?

Reaction score
Would like to know if anyone has used their drone to take pictures or videos of their hunting land?

I have :)

And there is this...

122533_600.jpeg

Not to map, been wandering around on it for 40 years. Do use P3 to do census counts for doe tags, herd management.

My cousin has used his drone to scope out elk and bison in Utah prior to the hunt.

Just be careful that you aren't using your drone in any of the states that have banned their use as hunting tools:
Eyes in the air: States move to ban drone-assisted hunting | Fox News

Hopefully all states will ban this practice soon! It's already questionable to call it 'hunting' when using trail cameras, spotting scopes and high-powered rifles with scopes. Domestic hunters calling in the drones is beyond ridiculous...

In my state you can't hunt the same day you fly in an airplane, nor use a drone to scout the same day hunting.
I see nothing wrong using a drone to scout out an area well before hunting (days), but feel it's unethical to use one to spot, stalk and harvest the same day.
This new technology reminds me of when fish finders came out.

My venture was just to see if I could pick out the tree stands, not for hunting purposes. You can see the quick vid I threw together and rock out to some Black Sabbath music. :D SkyPixel - Connecting Creativity

Hopefully all states will ban this practice soon! It's already questionable to call it 'hunting' when using trail cameras, spotting scopes and high-powered rifles with scopes. Domestic hunters calling in the drones is beyond ridiculous...
Not really, if you're mapping and not using the the day of the flight - whats the big deal. If you're using it for pig - I would prefer barrel bombing them, but weight limit is an issue. Hunting is a vital necessity for keeping herd in check. If you hunt for food, family doesnt eat if you dont bag em. Dont be so myopic.

I have used mine to get a birds eye view of the senderos. Checking to see where lanes need to be cleared also how fertilizer has done across the open pastures. All before the season starts.

Not really, if you're mapping and not using the the day of the flight - whats the big deal. If you're using it for pig - I would prefer barrel bombing them, but weight limit is an issue. Hunting is a vital necessity for keeping herd in check. If you hunt for food, family doesnt eat if you dont bag em. Dont be so myopic.
We've been hunting for eons without the use of drones too.
Drones are not a necessity for a successful hunt.
Your above defense is a defense of hunting, not of drone use.

I have mixed feelings over the topic. I have no problem with responsible use prior to the hunt, but I encounter a good number of irresponsible hunters who probably shouldn't be allowed to use a drone (or drink beer, or own a hunting rifle for that matter...lol). I can just imagine the damage and havoc some of these guys could cause.

I think pre-scouting with a drone may be beneficial–I've certainly used Google Earth for that purpose for years to get the idea of the lay of the land. I've watched LuvMyTj's video and what a great tool to check for treestands.

I live in the middle of elk and deer winter range, so I've been flying around checking out where the local population is hanging out. Anything lower than about 200' disrupts elk, so that's about my lower limit. I find it almost impossible to see wildlife on my iPad Mini while flying even though I've got a foot of snow (and it's mostly open sagebrush). In fact, if I can see them, I'm probably too low–they'll start to move. But I can see them while reviewing the footage.

Now, if I were out hunting and there's a drone buzzing a hundred feet over me, I'm not going to be a happy guy. Thus once again, common sense has to prevail.

Tony

Reactions: GoodnNuff
My problem is every time i fly my drone down the center of a cleared lane where gas lines run under the ground, the guys in all the deer stands suddenly think it is duck season.

I would like to get ariel photography of my land. Stand, food plot locations, pinch points, topography, logging roads, etc. Where I hunt using a drone to spot game and hunt same day would be out of the question anyway. Every third year or so I do a little select cut to improve habitat. It would make it more clear to the logger as to where I would like the work done.

We've been hunting for eons without the use of drones too.
Drones are not a necessity for a successful hunt.
Your above defense is a defense of hunting, not of drone use.

I have mixed feelings over the topic. I have no problem with responsible use prior to the hunt, but I encounter a good number of irresponsible hunters who probably shouldn't be allowed to use a drone (or drink beer, or own a hunting rifle for that matter...lol). I can just imagine the damage and havoc some of these guys could cause.
We hunted for eons with spears, rocks and driving animals off cliffs too - what does that have to do with anything? I never said a drone is a necessity for anything - an UAS is a tool, a toy, a hobby, a business, etc.

My response was to what I quoted "Hopefully all states will ban this practice soon! It's already questionable to call it 'hunting' when using trail cameras, spotting scopes and high-powered rifles with scopes. Domestic hunters calling in the drones is beyond ridiculous..."
As you can see, that dude has an issue with hunting and is using drones as an apparent talking point. So a defense of hunting is really what my post was about. I dont think hunting is a sport, I never want the critter to win, I want him for dinner.

That being said, mapping land with a UAS and processing in VisualSFM and CMPMSV (both free and rival the really expensive leased software that does the same thing) produces high quality relief topos that are very helpful for lots of stuff. A panaramic photo stitched together to makes a great aerial map for whatever you want to use that land for.

All Gods creatures have a place on the Earth, sometimes that place is next to mashed potatoes and peas.

Last edited:
We hunted for eons with spears, rocks and driving animals off cliffs too - what does that have to do with anything? I never said a drone is a necessity for anything - an UAS is a tool, a toy, a hobby, a business, etc.

My response was to what I quoted "Hopefully all states will ban this practice soon! It's already questionable to call it 'hunting' when using trail cameras, spotting scopes and high-powered rifles with scopes. Domestic hunters calling in the drones is beyond ridiculous..."
As you can see, that dude has an issue with hunting and is using drones as an apparent talking point. So a defense of hunting is really what my post was about. I dont think hunting is a sport, I never want the critter to win, I want him for dinner.

That being said, mapping land with a UAS and processing in VisualSFM and CMPMSV (both free and rival the really expensive leased software that does the same thing) produces high quality relief topos that are very helpful for lots of stuff. A panaramic photo stitched together to makes a great aerial map for whatever you want to use that land for.

All Gods creatures have a place on the Earth, sometime that place is next to mashed potatoes and peas.
Sorry, I thought you made it sound like families would go without food if they couldn't use their drones.
And FWIW, I have nothing against hunting. I don't hunt often anymore, but grew up on 80 acres where we raised the majority of our food, and hunted and fished for the sport and the variety it added to our table. Those mashed potatoes are really good with pheasant gravy.

I've used mine at the lease. It's fun to have that different perspective of your property. Plus, it's just another excuse to be out there in the great outdoors.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj