anyone use FPV booster app?

You won't get the map overlay w/o an iSomething, but you'll get the boost, which IMO is worth the $10 alone because it definitely works.

bbfpv said:
You won't get the map overlay w/o an iSomething, but you'll get the boost, which IMO is worth the $10 alone because it definitely works.

No it's not, you can boost the signal strength yourself - phantommods.info, and it's free

I can do 90% of any mods myself. I pay for convenience. You can build an fpv quad yourself too, or you can buy one rtf... thus this forum and my recommendation.

bbfpv said:
I can do 90% of any mods myself. I pay for convenience. You can build an fpv quad yourself too, or you can buy one rtf... thus this forum and my recommendation.

I didn't say you couldn't, I just said 10$ for something that can be achieved in 20 minutes is not worth it. The only reason to pay for fpv booster is if you buy it with all the other modules, booster alone is not worth it. In fact I think it should be freemium for the more advanced options, of course there are no other modules on android so all of it becomes theoretical.

BioTeq said:
bbfpv said:

I didn't say you couldn't, I just said 10$ for something that can be achieved in 20 minutes is not worth it. The only reason to pay for fpv booster is if you buy it with all the other modules, booster alone is not worth it. In fact I think it should be freemium for the more advanced options, of course there are no other modules on android so all of it becomes theoretical.
Just had a brief look on phantommods.info. I see some pitfalls and concerns to me (current owner or the next owner) if I follow those instructions, such as:
(1) What happen if I changed Phantom WPA password but reset the range extender and forgot the password? Am I stuck?
(2) If I installed WebUI onto Phantom, how much storage/memory does it occupy? How much storage/memory remain for Phantom to use?
(3) Can I uninstall WebUI on Phantom? Any dependency on the uninstallation to brick it?
(4) What happen if I need to upgrade FC200 firmware, like 1.3.0g?
(5) If I sell my Phantom, can I restore everything back to the default settings before sending to the next owner?

A few thoughts.

I had similar questions, most answers are here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17717
You don't need to encrypt your connections to use UI to boost your signal.
I only have the visible extender to phone connection encrypted, it should be enough, unless you encounter a malicious hacker in the air, which is pretty unlikely. There is also a bug where the console shows different value from the UI for the signal strength, it can be fixed fairly easily by editing the coresponding file. I think it's also on the phantommods.

I used this app for the first time this weekend in testing at my house and I am very pleased with the product; well worth the $ I spent. Very feature rich as some have already mentioned.

I found the WIFI wand useful and was surprised the amount of time I was not properly aligned with the quad copter during flight simply by not paying attention.

I look forward to being able to export the flight tracker data onto a computer or the like...I see in the FAQ that is planned. Kudos to the developer; you have a nice product.

Bob

After using this app a bit more, I'm finding that this app works a lot better with a GPS equipped device such as a iphone or a 4G or LTE iPad.

With the wifi iPad, it locates the Phantom and the home point perfectly.

But the location of the transmitter with it's attached iOS device, or the "pilot position" might be significantly different and a distance away from where it actually is or shows up on the cached map.

I have two iPad minis, one wifi only, one with GPS. I also carry an iPhone 6 plus. With our GPS iPad and even my iPhone 6, running the FPV Camera app, all three, the home point, the Phantom and the iOS device location are precise. You don't have to fool with caching the Google maps and then loading up the Google map image where you plan to fly before leaving home. A GPS enabled iOS device will of course show you very accurately where it is on the map and in real time.

The above is important also if you get to your pre planned flight area and discover that you have to go to another area. If you've cached the map for the first area, then that may not work for you if you have to move to another area.

With the GPS equipped device, my home point, transmitter location/pilot point, and Phantom can be seen exactly where they are on the map, prior to taking off.

Bottom line, after using this app more, I prefer to use it with a GPS equipped iOS device, as opposed to a wifi only iPad, and would use it with an iPhone which has GPS, before I would use it with a wifi only iPad, even in light of the difference in screen size between the two. And that screen size difference is of even less significance for those using an iPhone 6 plus.

I like this app over the DJI app, which is not bad itself, and I give this FPV app an enthusiastic thumbs up. While it of course works with a wifi only iPad, I think that maximum benefit from it is more easily and consistently had with either a GPS equipped or 4G LTE iPad or your current iPhone.

Vas Deferens said:
After using this app a bit more, I'm finding that this app works a lot better with a GPS equipped device such as a iphone or a 4G or LTE iPad.

But the location of the transmitter with it's attached iOS device, or the "pilot position" might be significantly different and a distance away from where it actually is or shows up on the cached map.

I have two iPad minis, one wifi only, one with GPS. I also carry an iPhone 6 plus. With our GPS iPad and even my iPhone 6, running the FPV Camera app, all three, the home point, the Phantom and the iOS device location are precise. You don't have to fool with caching the Google maps and then loading up the Google map image where you plan to fly before leaving home. A GPS enabled iOS device will of course show you very accurately where it is on the map and in real time.

The above is important also if you get to your pre planned flight area and discover that you have to go to another area. If you've cached the map for the first area, then that may not work for you if you have to move to another area.

With the GPS equipped device, my home point, transmitter location/pilot point, and Phantom can be seen exactly where they are on the map, prior to taking off.

Bottom line, after using this app more, I prefer to use it with a GPS equipped iOS device, as opposed to a wifi only iPad, and would use it with an iPhone which has GPS, before I would use it with a wifi only iPad, even in light of the difference in screen size between the two. And that screen size difference is of even less significance for those using an iPhone 6 plus.

I like this app over the DJI app, which is not bad itself, and I give this FPV app an enthusiastic thumbs up. While it of course works with a wifi only iPad, I think that maximum benefit from it is more easily and consistently had with either a GPS equipped or 4G LTE iPad or your current iPhone.
There will be a "Combine Home/Pilot" option in the next release. For those non-GPS devices (such as Wifi only iPad), you may combine home point and pilot point on the map. This option will be first available in the upcoming Android version FPV Camera.

PVFlyer said:
Vas Deferens said:

There will be a "Combine Home/Pilot" option in the next release. For those non-GPS devices (such as Wifi only iPad), you may combine home point and pilot point on the map. This option will be first available in the upcoming Android version FPV Camera.

Great news!!!

Any time frame estimate as to when the next release of this app will occur?

Vas Deferens said:
Great news!!!

Any time frame estimate as to when the next release of this app will occur?
We have been gathering a lot of feedback in the past 2 months on both FPV Camera and Flight Tracker. We have to prioritize the lengthy enhancement list, though some items are out of our scope for the time being.

We expect the next iOS release in April, probably about the same timeframe as Phantom 3 Vision announcement.

JDNC said:
And...are you going to include waypoint flying in the near furture?
In About > FPV Camera > FAQ section indicates

Q8. Why Ground Station (Waypoint) feature is unavailable in FPV Camera?
FPV Camera brings a complete new FPV experience for flying DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ with innovative features. However, we do NOT intend to replace or duplicate DJI VISION app. We don't see the value of duplicating DJI Ground Station feature for the time being, unless we find some creative ideas of implementing Ground Station. We prefer innovation instead of copycat.

PVFlyer said:
JDNC said:

FPV Camera brings a complete new FPV experience for flying DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ with innovative features. However, we do NOT intend to replace or duplicate DJI VISION app. We don't see the value of duplicating DJI Ground Station feature for the time being, unless we find some creative ideas of implementing Ground Station. We prefer innovation instead of copycat.

It would be great if you would reconsider the groundstation , it would save swapping back and forward
between different apps to achieve how you want to fly and achieve on the flight , I dont see it as copying
anyone , just makes a fuller featured app. :)

Uptowndisco2 said:
PVFlyer said:
JDNC said:

It would be great if you would reconsider the groundstation , it would save swapping back and forward
between different apps to achieve how you want to fly and achieve on the flight , I dont see it as copying
anyone , just makes a fuller featured app. :)

+1

The switching is a pain. That alone plus the better map view would make it worth it to me! The map is so outdated its ridiculous!

Used my tripod today to mount my iPad. Noticed that the wifi wand feature was responsive to the actual orientation of the iPad as opposed to orientation of the RE 700.

I didn't realize this earlier. The "wand" seems to indicate how well, or not, the iOS device is actually lined up with the aircraft.

In other words, the "wand" image only turns or moves toward the direction of the arrow indicating the aircraft on the map as the iPad turns towards it, and not as the RE 700 and the transmitter turns toward the direction of the aircraft.

This is great if your iOS device is mounted atop your transmitter. Then the iOS device, the RE 700 and the transmitter all move as a unit. But with iOS device is separate from your transmitter, such as on a tripod, the wand seemed to only move if the entire tripod were moved.

Move left or right of the straight line"wand" image, and you can't put the wand image onto the aircraft image by moving the remote/RE 700. If you want the wand image onto the aircraft image, you need to rotate the tripod/ios device toward the phantom.

It seems that the app was designed for a transmitter mounted monitor

Vas Deferens said:
Used my tripod today to mount my iPad. Noticed that the wifi wand feature was responsive to the actual orientation of the iPad as opposed to orientation of the RE 700.

I didn't realize this earlier. The "wand" seems to indicate how well, or not, the iOS device is actually lined up with the aircraft.

In other words, the "wand" image only turns or moves toward the direction of the arrow indicating the aircraft on the map as the iPad turns towards it, and not as the RE 700 and the transmitter turns toward the direction of the aircraft.

This is great if your iOS device is mounted atop your transmitter. Then the iOS device, the RE 700 and the transmitter all move as a unit. But with iOS device is separate from your transmitter, such as on a tripod, the wand seemed to only move if the entire tripod were moved.

Move left or right of the straight line"wand" image, and you can't put the wand image onto the aircraft image by moving the remote/RE 700. If you want the wand image onto the aircraft image, you need to rotate the tripod/ios device toward the phantom.

Wi-Fi Wand is based on pilot point of your mobile device. It uses device's GPS/compass to identify your location and orientation on the map, assuming the device and range extender mounted on RC transmitter.

If you mount both mobile device and RE700 (directional antennas) with the same orientation on tripod, it should also work.

10959233_558772587558885_2540314427396355284_n.jpg

PVFlyer said:
Vas Deferens said:

Wi-Fi Wand is based on pilot point of your mobile device. It uses device's GPS/compass to identify your location and orientation on the map, assuming the device and range extender mounted on RC transmitter.

If you mount both mobile device and RE700 (directional antennas) with the same orientation on tripod, it should also work.

10959233_558772587558885_2540314427396355284_n.jpg

Thanks for the info.

I tried it two ways. One with the RE 700 attached to my iPad with Velcro and the other way with the RE 700 remaining attached to my transmitter. Both with my iPad on the tripod.

I found that by loosening the panning nut of my tripod so that the pan handle of the tripod could be used to pivot, or pan the iPad left and right, that the green wifi wand could be directed toward the craft as needed, and that it didn't matter if the RE 700 remained attached to its mount on the transmitter, or if it was velcroed to my iPad.

So yes, the wifi wand works well with my iPad mounted to my tripod or mounted to my transmitter, regardless of where I mounted the RE700.

This makes me wonder. Is the app "assuming g" that since my iOS device is on a straight line to the craft, that my RE700 must be as well and this is the reason that the line goes from yellow to green when lined up with the craft at a distance?

In other words, and in light of your answer above, is the change in color of the wifi wand line from say, yellow to green at a distance, a "true" indication of signal strength, or is it more an indicator of how well the tablet is aligned with the craft?

I'm more impressed with this app each time I use it and I look forward to the next versions of it.

msinger said:

After continued use of the app, and looking at this suggestion, and furthermore looking to be able to eliminate the step of caching maps, while possibly gaining some more versatility with my current iPad, I did a bit more research on these type modules and came across this one, the Bad Elf BE-GPS-1008 and ordered it:

http://bad-elf.com/pages/be-gps-1008-detail

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Bad-Elf-GPS- ... 7AodZ3IAig

At $99.00, I'm very happy with it and it's capabilities, as well as it's small footprint.

This one plugs into the iOS charging port or the lightning port of your iOS device. It has a lanyard so that you can attach it to your transmitter or whatever else you decide on to prevent losing it. It has a pass through charging port and a micro USB cable so that the iPad can be charged while the Bad Elf GPS module is still plugged into the iPad.

I've now tried it with my own wifi only iPad mini, after previously having to borrow my wife's 4G LTE iPad to use with this app after growing sick of the cache step, and thus far the BE-GPS 1008 seems to work great with this app and gives very accurate GPS location. It will of course also allow you to use your iPad as a navigation screen in your car if you are traveling using any navigation app compatible with it, so there is some versatility with it.

I throw this out as just an option for those who have wifi only iOS devices, but if you decide on a GPS device for your tablet, then be sure that it will work with whatever navigation type apps you intend to use it with.

This module, I'm glad to say, works well with the FPV booster app and gives very accurate GPS location. The claim is accuracy to within about 2.5 meters.

The apple app in the app store for it is free and can be found here, and the screen shots can be seen here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bad-elf ... 64718?mt=8

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/48 ... 5&tstart=0

ccase39 said:
I just turned it on and everything looked cool but I got an invalid battery warning. It just popped up on the screen and quickly went away. It was a fully charged battery that came with the Phantom I got in today so I doubt its a bad battery. Everything looked good with it in Assistant anyway.

On the last couple flights I have taken utilizing FPV Booster I have also received the "invalid battery, fly carefully" message. It usually pops up randomly during the flight and only last about 1-2 seconds. Has anyone figured out why this is occurring? It has occurred on both of my batteries that came with my v2+

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl