anyone use FPV booster app?

PVFlyer:
Thank you for the links to the feature and FAQ sections and the Facebooks links.

• Auto-zoom – Both Navigation Map and Radar Map keep zooming in/out based on flying distance between the Aircraft and Home/Pilot.

The above feature is not working on either my Navigation or Radar maps. I've seen it work on the demo videos but not on mine. Is there something is settings or else where to activate it?
Bob

ccase39 said:
PVFlyer said:
ccase39 said:
Is there a way to lock the map so it doesn't continually spin like you can in ground station?
The map rotates based on the compass of your device (you/pilot). This is by design and the feature of auto-rotate map. If you don't spin, then the map would not rotate.
hm. mine spins if I am standing still and flying forward. It line will also turn with the map and will point away from the bird when the map spins.
What device are you using?

You may calibrate the compass of your device or remove magnetic cover (if any), and probably need to test with Apple/Google map to ensure proper compass orientation.

UgashikBob said:
PVFlyer:
Thank you for the links to the feature and FAQ sections and the Facebooks links.

• Auto-zoom – Both Navigation Map and Radar Map keep zooming in/out based on flying distance between the Aircraft and Home/Pilot.

The above feature is not working on either my Navigation or Radar maps. I've seen it work on the demo videos but not on mine. Is there something is settings or else where to activate it?
Bob
Did you turn on Location Services and share your location to the app? Can you post a screenshot to illustrate how "not working on either my Navigation or Radar maps"?

Was out today testing it and had set it to auto rec and was out about 150 meters when the fpv display was showing the camera fpv at by home location but the Phamtom was 150 meters away ? So heading back and landed was thinking it was lag but it looks like it was playing back the recording ? Why would it have done this ? Surely it would be recording till the phamtom motors are turned off but it looked like it stopped recording half way throughout the flight and started to play back the recording which made me think it was video lag.If it happens again I will get a video off it to show you.

Irepairapples said:
Was out today testing it and had set it to auto rec and was out about 150 meters when the fpv display was showing the camera fpv at by home location but the Phamtom was 150 meters away ? So heading back and landed was thinking it was lag but it looks like it was playing back the recording ? Why would it have done this ? Surely it would be recording till the phamtom motors are turned off but it looked like it stopped recording half way throughout the flight and started to play back the recording which made me think it was video lag.If it happens again I will get a video off it to show you.
Did this happen all the time or occasionally? What iPhone/iPad and iOS version are you using?

Did you run any screen recording app (such as Shou or iRec), AirPlay, etc.?

7.0.3 firmware on a mini iPad it's the first time I had used the rec on the app just had one flight as it was too windy for any more flying no didn't run the iRec app will do it the next time so can show you next time it may happen was just keeping you upto date with anything that goes wrong with you app I like the app it's nicely layed out like the wifi wand

I calibrated the compass in my phone and will try it tomorrow. I will say this. The sattelite view is amazing. Very clear, even more so than Google earth which I dont understand. I was by water, still water and I could see light reflecting off ripples.

fpvflyer:
I switched the navigation map to full screen at init and as you see the pilot icon is down in the gulf of Mexico and the drone position is in Alaska which probably explains my map difficulties. The pilot icon is incorrect but the Home icon is at the correct location. Location services is turned on for FPV Booster and the purple icon next to it says locaton was recently used by app. iPad Mini IOS 8.1.2 and using Shou for screen recorder.

Attachments

• 20150228-DSC00845.jpg
    20150228-DSC00845.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 420
UgashikBob said:
fpvflyer:
I switched the navigation map to full screen at init and as you see the pilot icon is down in the gulf of Mexico and the drone position is in Alaska which probably explains my map difficulties. The pilot icon is incorrect but the Home icon is at the correct location. Location services is turned on for FPV Booster and the purple icon next to it says locaton was recently used by app. iPad Mini IOS 8.1.2 and using Shou for screen recorder.
It seems you are using Wifi only iPad (without A-GPS module). Thus, it's is unable to locate the precise pilot location, but it sounds a bit weird with such large discrepancy (usually <100m). Can you open a standard Google Map or Apple Map app to check your location, then cross check with Full Map mode?

ccase39 said:
I calibrated the compass in my phone and will try it tomorrow. I will say this. The sattelite view is amazing. Very clear, even more so than Google earth which I dont understand. I was by water, still water and I could see light reflecting off ripples.
If you hold the iPhone almost flat, Google Map might detect upside down orientation. You may need to maintain an angle of holding your iPhone. For iPad, you can lock the proper landscape orientation.

fpvflyer:
When I open Google maps it also is unable to locate my position. I assumed the location was determined when preloading the maps via my local wifi connection. So a ipad mini (wifi only)will not work with this app and others. Wish I had known that earlier. Very disappointing as my iphone 6s is to small to read and my full size ipad with cellular provider/gps is too large and awkward to mount on the Phantom TX.

UgashikBob said:
fpvflyer:
When I open Google maps it also is unable to locate my position. I assumed the location was determined when preloading the maps via my local wifi connection. So a ipad mini (wifi only)will not work with this app and others. Wish I had known that earlier. Very disappointing as my iphone 6s is to small to read and my full size ipad with cellular provider/gps is too large and awkward to mount on the Phantom TX.

My iPad mini running iOS 8.1.3 is wifi only and the app works fine for me. On a side note, while my wife has a 4G, LTE capable iPad mini, the data available for it rarely gets used and personally, I wouldn't own a wifi +cellular iPad mini, as I can tether my phone to my iPad and use the phone as a hotspot if I just need to gain access to the internet in the absence of any other wifi signal, but that's a different story.

I fly at a park with no wifi signal, using my wifi only iPad mini and the app precisely located me, or rather my transmitter as I was holding it, the phantom and the home point on the cached Google map.

Are you sure that you cached the maps correctly?

Follow this for help with caching maps from Google to your iPad.
http://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-save-g ... -and-ipad/

When you use the DJI Vision app with a wifi only iPad mini, it works the same way. You don't have a connection to the internet, yet if the maps are cached you can use ground station, and the rest of the app.

Vas Deferens said:
UgashikBob said:
fpvflyer:

My iPad mini running iOS 8.1.3 is wifi only and the app works fine for me. On a side note, while my wife has a 4G, LTE capable iPad mini, the data available for it rarely gets used and personally, I wouldn't own a wifi +cellular iPad mini, as I can tether my phone to my iPad and use the phone as a hotspot if I just need to gain access to the internet in the absence of any other wifi signal, but that's a different story.

I fly at a park with no wifi signal, using my wifi only iPad mini and the app precisely located me, or rather my transmitter as I was holding it, the phantom and the home point on the cached Google map.

When you use the DJI Vision app with a wifi only iPad mini, it works the same way. You don't have a connection to the internet, yet if the maps are cached you can use ground station, and the rest of the app.
Thanks for the Wifi tethering advice. You may refer to Caching Google Map section in About > FPV Camera > Feature. This is different than caching Google Map app, while offline data of Google Map app cannot be shared to FPV Booster or DJI app.

UgashikBob said:
fpvflyer:
There are about one-third (1/3) of FPV Booster users are on iPad/iPad Mini. Most of them are Wifi only iPad/iPad Mini, and all are working fine. Wifi only iPad does not have cellular/A-GPS module, it locates position per known Wifi hotspots nearby though this is not very accurate.

Some users are pairing Bluetooth GPS device to Wifi only iPad in order to get accurate GPS location.

Last edited:
I agree my issue must be related to not caching the map of my local area correctly. These are the only two items I could find regarding caching maps with FPV Booster:
• Open Find My Phantom (Satellite mode by default) with internet access, tap My Location icon (lower-right) to center your current location rapidly on the map. You may then zoom in/out and pan the map for caching your planned flight location.
• Open Full Map with internet access in FPV Camera > Settings (swipe left to show Settings menu) > FPV Setting > Navigation Mode > Full Map. You may then zoom in/out and pan the map for caching. Settings icon (lower-right) is shown in Full Map to access Settings menu.

When I open Find my Phantom in with internet access to my local wifi only it shows a detailed map of my area with the icon on the last spot the Phantom was at on its last mission. The location icon has no effect. Replay will correctly play the entire last mission. To me it appears this method is only valid the very first time you use the app.
Same thing when I use the full map feature in local WiFi only mode. It starts out at a expanded level and after several two finger expansions the correct local detail is shown. Is there something beyond this in both cases required to cache the map or is that it? I was under the impression that during a normal flight the only wifi connection should be between the Phantom and the ipad. Should I be allowing my local wifi network to also connect to the ipad/app? Also keep in my I am in a remote area of Alaska with only satellite based internet connectivity. There are no streets, house numbers etc that most mapping apps use.

msinger: Thank you for the links. Are any of the wifi only ipads working with this app without this gps add on? Looks like a better buy than another ipad mini with cellular service just to get gps. The app you show appears to give connectivity, battery level and other status info but what insures the actual gps info is passed to IOS/FPVBooster app?

UgashikBob said:
I agree my issue must be related to not caching the map of my local area correctly. These are the only two items I could find regarding caching maps with FPV Booster:
• Open Find My Phantom (Satellite mode by default) with internet access, tap My Location icon (lower-right) to center your current location rapidly on the map. You may then zoom in/out and pan the map for caching your planned flight location.
• Open Full Map with internet access in FPV Camera > Settings (swipe left to show Settings menu) > FPV Setting > Navigation Mode > Full Map. You may then zoom in/out and pan the map for caching. Settings icon (lower-right) is shown in Full Map to access Settings menu.

When I open Find my Phantom in with internet access to my local wifi only it shows a detailed map of my area with the icon on the last spot the Phantom was at on its last mission. The location icon has no effect. Replay will correctly play the entire last mission. To me it appears this method is only valid the very first time you use the app.
Same thing when I use the full map feature in local WiFi only mode. It starts out at a expanded level and after several two finger expansions the correct local detail is shown. Is there something beyond this in both cases required to cache the map or is that it? I was under the impression that during a normal flight the only wifi connection should be between the Phantom and the ipad. Should I be allowing my local wifi network to also connect to the ipad/app? Also keep in my I am in a remote area of Alaska with only satellite based internet connectivity. There are no streets, house numbers etc that most mapping apps use.

msinger: Thank you for the links. Are any of the wifi only ipads working with this app without this gps add on? Looks like a better buy than another ipad mini with cellular service just to get gps. The app you show appears to give connectivity, battery level and other status info but what insures the actual gps info is passed to IOS/FPVBooster app?
Once you pair a compatible Bluetooth GPS device to your iPad, iOS Location Services should be able to get your location. Thus, FPV Booster (FPV Camera) is able to locate your pilot point accordingly.

If you purchase a cellular iPad Mini (with A-GPS), you can use A-GPS in Location Services without requiring cellular data plan.

PVFlyer:
Understand my options but due to my location it may be months before the external gps arrives. Are there any ipad mini wifi only units running your app successfully without an external gps add on? What I don't understand is why this app can't use my local wifi connection to obtain at a partial location that should be closer than the 1/2 continent variation I am seeing.

UgashikBob said:
PVFlyer:
Understand my options but due to my location it may be months before the external gps arrives. Are there any ipad mini wifi only units running your app successfully without an external gps add on? What I don't understand is why this app can't use my local wifi connection to obtain at a partial location that should be closer than the 1/2 continent variation I am seeing.

I use an iPad Mini wifi only with the app , maps cache no problem for me , I just use the home wifi before leaving home and zoom into the area
I intend to fly that day , that could be 100 miles away makes no diff it still works once I get there , same deal with my 2.4ghz bluetooth iPad Groundstation
on my other P2 , I cache the maps the same way.

PVFlyer said:
Vas Deferens said:
UgashikBob said:
fpvflyer:

Thanks for the Wifi tethering advice. You may refer to Caching Google Map section in About > FPV Camera > Feature. This is different than caching Google Map app, while offline data of Google Map app cannot be shared to FPV Booster or DJI app.

Uptowndisco2 said:
UgashikBob said:
PVFlyer:

I use an iPad Mini wifi only with the app , maps cache no problem for me , I just use the home wifi before leaving home and zoom into the area
I intend to fly that day , that could be 100 miles away makes no diff it still works once I get there , same deal with my 2.4ghz bluetooth iPad Groundstation
on my other P2 , I cache the maps the same way.

Yep, did the same with my wifi only iPad Mini. I cached them as per the instructions that are included with the FPV app while at home and on my home wifi.

But I also cached the Google maps as described in the link that i posted in my earlier post, and am now learning now that i didn't have to.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1