Anyone up here in Nebraska?

Brothainchrist06 said:
is that using a gopro? What settings? that looks great

Not great - it is too soft. I was using a GoPro with 1080 Wide setting. That is too short a lens to get good shots like that one. By the time you frame the shot in post, you lose too much. If you get too close to the subject, you scare the crap out of them. I have a 5.4 lens that would give a much better picture. I also have a 6 mm but it only works on a white so I lose some from that. One solution would be to use the 5.4 and just take stills - that would give me a bit more to work with in post. Trouble is, I lose FPV if the cycle rate of the stills is too short. Lots of trade-offs.

This is where a NEX 5 or 7 with remote shutter would be ideal. But then you would need to go up to a 550 or bigger to carry it.

ladykate said:
Brothainchrist06 said:
is that using a gopro? What settings? that looks great

Not great - it is too soft. I was using a GoPro with 1080 Wide setting. That is too short a lens to get good shots like that one. By the time you frame the shot in post, you lose too much. If you get too close to the subject, you scare the crap out of them. I have a 5.4 lens that would give a much better picture. I also have a 6 mm but it only works on a white so I lose some from that. One solution would be to use the 5.4 and just take stills - that would give me a bit more to work with in post. Trouble is, I lose FPV if the cycle rate of the stills is too short. Lots of trade-offs.

This is where a NEX 5 or 7 with remote shutter would be ideal. But then you would need to go up to a 550 or bigger to carry it.

why dont u just mount a secondary camera on the bottom of the gimbal and run your fpv off of that, that way you wont have to use the gopro for fpv and then u could take stills. the still from the gopro are so much better than the video. That's how I have mine set up. Super tiny camera underneath the gopro.

And wehre do u get your lenses from? I just want one for my gopro that doesnt have fish eye

Brothainchrist06 said:
And wehre do u get your lenses from? I just want one for my gopro that doesnt have fish eye

You can get them from a couple of places. Unfortunately, they are not cheap.

Ragecams is the one who will take your GoPro and mount a 5.4 on it - and send back your regular lens so you can swap them when you wish. Takes a miniature HDMI cable and monitor to focus the lens and they will send the cable with the kit. (about $400 if you use your camera - $900+ if you buy the GoPro already modified). The totals don't add up (you could buy a GoPro and have it modified for cheaper than they are charging - so call them - they will negotiate).

You can also get them on eBay (usually still Ragecams but you can get a better price sometimes). I got a good deal on a white with IR mod and two lenses for less than $200.

You can also do it all yourself. There are 5.4 lenses for sale for about $150. You have to disassemble the GoPro and release the old lens but it doesn't seem too tough. I haven't done this one but here is the lens: http://www.ostrc.com/collections/gopro-accessories

Oh excellent, thank you! I need to find one that is still good quality with no fish eye. Thanks again for the help. Let us know how the firework show goes.

Brothainchrist06 said:
why dont u just mount a secondary camera on the bottom of the gimbal and run your fpv off of that, that way you wont have to use the gopro for fpv and then u could take stills. the still from the gopro are so much better than the video. That's how I have mine set up. Super tiny camera underneath the gopro.

Got a picture of that? I have a small camera but it seems like it would affect the balance of the gimbal.

Ya, I"ll see if I can get a pic of it tonight. I am at work all day today until 7 tonight. I'll post one up here. It's small enough that it doesnt effect anything. It weighs almost nothing.

here is how I have my mini fpv camera mounted so I can still use the gopro without worrying about it cutting out.

Thanks.

What is the name of the mini-camera you are using?

Of all things, I had a Fatshark mini and I was going to use it for another function - didn't get around to it and figured I wouldn't use it at all so I put it up somewhere. Now I can't find the **** thing.

Brothainchrist06 said:
Anybody know if we are allowed to fly around freely in Omaha? Can i fly at memorial park and also downtown over the river?

Check my youtube channel lol :lol:
I have flown all around those locations without incident
https://www.youtube.com/user/av8inglife

In all seriousness though, I don't think you will run into any issues as long as the usual common sense about your flying and courtesy towards others is utilized. Most people that have said anything to me at all were just curious observers spouting the same line "is that one of them drone things?" Just plan your answer accordingly.

av8inglife said:
Brothainchrist06 said:
Anybody know if we are allowed to fly around freely in Omaha? Can i fly at memorial park and also downtown over the river?

Check my youtube channel lol :lol:
I have flown all around those locations with out incident
https://www.youtube.com/user/av8inglife

In all seriousness though, I don't think you will run into any issues as long as the usual common sense about your flying and courtesy towards others is utilized. Most people that have said anything to me at all were just curious observers spouting the same line "is that one of them drone things?" Just plan your answer accordingly.

Yup, that makes sense. Thanks man. I'll just play it smart. Nice video by the way!

It looks like a good day to go flying Friday after work and even Saturday for a change.

Was out this morning doing checks on my Tarot. Great day to fly. The RC club was out at Haworth (they usually only come out when the wind is down). Had a pretty good time showing off each other's aircraft.

I am in Omaha and have a blade 180 right now but looking at getting a P2 in a couple of months.

quadguy said:
I am in Omaha and have a blade 180 right now but looking at getting a P2 in a couple of months.

It looks like there are quite a few of us in the area. Good luck on your buy!

ladykate said:
quadguy said:

Thanks, I think I might know you ladykate. I saw your video taken in your neighborhood and I think I have been to your place when I was working for a heating and ac company.

quadguy said:
ladykate said:
quadguy said:

Thanks, I think I might know you ladykate. I saw your video taken in your neighborhood and I think I have been to your place when I was working for a heating and ac company.

We've had them over a couple of times. Very possible. We live in Avian Circle off Bellevue Blvd.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl